Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Never go alone or without your Phone !  (Read 2744 times)
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »

The Perils of Metal Detecting

My wife and I went to West Wales for a holiday a few years ago and of course my metal detector went with me. We stayed in a lovely flat overlooking an estuary. The flats owners also happened to own two fields leading down to the estuary. I asked for permission to detect on these fields and estuary and they said it was OK. So after tea I went down to the estuary, the tide was out and I started detecting. There seemed to be old Napoleonic bullets everywhere. I found a few coins (all modern) and a few foreign coins including a Chinese cash coin.

The next day I decided to search the two fields. The owner told me that in the days of old, the pilgrims used to walk across these two fields following an old but still clearly visible shingle footpath, which in some places had been built up onto a banking that was over two feet above the field. I walked down the ancient path to a point where it was only a couple of inches higher than the field and decided to step down into the field. I must have put my foot onto some loose shale because all I remember was a loud crack before I passed out.

I finally came round and just sat there groaning and shaking my head to keep myself from blacking out again, such was the pain in my right ankle. After about half an hour, I felt I had finally recovered enough to try standing on my one good leg, I thought how on earth am I going to make it back to the flat, which was about a quarter of a mile away and up three flights of steps. I decided to use my spade and detector as supports and to hobble back to call for help. As I set off I didn't realise that I had left the detector turned on, and using it as a make shift walking stick I took my first tearful step and immediately I got a signal, well I had to dig it didn't I? I knew I couldn't dig standing up so I slid back down into a sitting position and began to dig and soon held in my hand a Queen Elizabeth II penny in very good condition, well at least it showed I hadn't damaged my detector or my enthusiasm.

My wife was very upset when I finally managed to stumble back into the flat, she sent for a doctor and he sent for an ambulance and off to the hospital I went. It turned out I had a very nasty complicated compound fracture of the ankle. They put a temporary pot onto it and told me to go straight home and to my local hospital, which I did. I was rushed into the operating theatre were they opened up my ankle and tried to pin it all back together again. I spent the next week in hospital. Well that was a perfectly good holiday ruined, but I had found that old penny and it wasn't really the digging season, so other than being on crutches for the next six months and the scolding from my wife for being so clumsy, nothing was lost.

I suppose the moral to this story is never go digging on your own or without a mobile phone, as you will invariably end up hidden in some out of the way place, and if you have an accident no one will know where to find you. Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »

THATS THE REASON  I ALLWAYS TAKE SOMEONE WITH ME TO MY FARMS ,,,,,,,   I NEVER  GO  OUT  ON A FARM  ALONE  AND ALLWAYS ASK THE FARMER IF ITS OK TO BRING A MATE WITH ME  AS YOU NEVER KNOW   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »

my wife always nags me about having my mobile switched on at all times...especially when i'm detecting on my own !...i dont know if thats for my benefit .... or her wanting to know i'm out of the way..... Wink... Grin Grin Grin...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

You are a good story teller Stig, I have enjoyed reading your posts. Doubt if I would have stopped to dig that penny up, that is dedication!
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »

Having a mobile phone with you is a good idea but only if you can have a signal there.

Shame you broke your ankle but at least it was repaired free whereas it would have cost you to repair your detector if you had broken that.

AHHHHH ... LOL

Every Day is a Lovely Day
Merlin
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »

My wife always goes on at me to get a moblie phone,I`ve always refused to have one.This morning I walked a couple of miles to a boot sale,  on the way I fell over[which would have been really funny if I had seen it] anyway I tore my trousers,grazed my knee,hurt my wrists.Nothing major.Normally on a Sunday morning I take a walk on my own,in the countryside.If I had fallen there and hurt myself,I could have been stuck for ages.Time to get a moblie I think.

Just a note on my fall[wish I`d seen it] I was crossing a roundabout by  Tredegar Park Newport,when my front foot caught in one of those wire rings from the edge of a tyre,which as I stepped forward with it on my foot looped itself around my other foot.I sort of juddered backward,and then fell foreward. Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:33:16 PM by Merlin [Steve] » Logged
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »

It is good advice to have a mobile.

Shouldnt we all consider hi vis vests or coats. I

I notice quite often detectorists wearing army clothing, good if you want to blend into countryside, not so good if you fall down and someone needs to find you !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal