Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick your time to visit "Carefully"  (Read 2354 times)
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »

Bad Timing

I, like most detectorists, am always on the look out for pastures new and, like most of us when going to a new farm, we often get the answer, "Come back when the crops are off and we can discuss it then." But on this particular day, my mate and I decided that we would call back to one of the farmers who had said exactly this to us earlier in the year. The farmyard was a large cobble stone area with several stables and a large building off to the right, the first thing we noticed when we drove in was that there were several cars parked in and around the front of the yard area, whereas last time there was just tractor.

As we approached the farm door another car pulled into the yard. A chap got out and came towards us asking if he could help. We told him we had come to see the farmer about detecting earlier in the year and how he had told us to come back when the crops were off the land, which they now were. The poor man immediately burst into tears and said that they were just about to bury him. What we hadn`t seen round the corner of the building was the hearse waiting for the mourners to come out, and the man we were talking to was the farmer`s son. This was one of those times when we wished the proverbial hole in the ground would suddenly appear and swallow us up. We gave our condolences and apologised but couldn`t get away quick enough. A very upsetting event!

I wonder if we went back now though..... Huh Roll Eyes

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »

YOU  CARRY A SHOVEL  MATE  ,,,,,,, YOU COULD OF OFFERED TO DIG HIM A HOLE ,,,, SAVED HIM A FEW QUID ,,,, AND GOT THE LAND ALL AT THE SAME TIME ,,,,,, SORTED  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin WAAAAAAAAAAAA

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »

he could of waited untill you went back mick he must of known you was due back theres farmers will do anything to get out of it  Cheesy just kidding mate im glad it was you and not me dont know what i would of done  Huh

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »

THATS RIGHT PHIL ,,,, A SIMPLE  ,,,,,,    NO    ,,,,,,,,,   WOULD  OF DONE IT    Grin Grin Cheesy

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »

What to do next?

Probably go back to that farm in a few weeks time and hope the person you spoke to (the son) is there.

Firstly introduce yourself as the metal detectors who turned up the day of the funeral and offer your sincere apologies and condolances.

Just say you were passing his farm to go detecting elsewhere and thought it was the right thing to do.

Under no circumstances ask for permission to detect on his farm at that point but ask if it would be possible or convenient to approach him sometime in the future.

Even if he agrees you can detect there and then.. politely refuse his offer saying that you only came to offer your apologies but would be delighted to accept his offer to detect there another day.

This will probably go down extremely well with him because you came out of your way to see him through respect and not only to detect on the day.

Only a suggestion.

Every Day is a Lovely Day

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal