Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out again today!  (Read 2338 times)
hedgehog
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

I was really aching after yesterday so decided to go to a different field, very windy and difficult to persevere. Anyway found about 50 items and the ones below were the only non-dross finds other than modern machinery bits.
I always get mildly annoyed when I find the very small lead tokens, in my mind they are only that small so that there is a good chance that the recipient will lose them (so adding to the landowners pocket, but really hitting the poor workers where it hurts!) . Just a quarter of a mile away from where I found it is the old workhouse, people who were unfortunate enough to reside there in this village had to wear a yellow cloth star in a prominent position on their chest area, if they were seen at any time not wearing the star, then the whole weeks money (and it wasn't much) was forfeited (remind you of anyone!)
I have been whingeing a bit about not finding any groats or half groats and can only think these were prized possessions around here (been trying to find one for 10 years). To answer Simons question, the majority of cut halves that turn up are usually Henry 111 and only found about 2 cut quarters.
There is another little story about the village in the 13th century: there were 2 jewish money lenders living in the village and basically the village got together and ran them out of town (wonder why that was  Cheesy) anyway taking it a small step further, I can imagine two bearded shylocks in their robes leaving town mumbling and grumbling as to their fate.
Back to the little lead token, when I cleaned it , it did make me smile and thought it was worth sharing. The clog clasp speaks for itself. but the corset eye has turned up where I have found others over a period of time , can't help thinking that someone left in a hurry, dunno why they didn't return for the corset though?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »

Nice post hedgehog! I'm itching to get out - its been about 3 weeks this weekend! Hopefully out with Jaydogg and Mark on the Saturday.

Keep up the good work - like the token and the story.

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
simon c

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »

Some more nice finds Steve,good post very interesting, Smiley
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:19 AM »

Very interesting Hedgehog, keep at it mate.
There must be some goodies in there somewhere!  Wink
I do quite like the lead tokens myself as there does seem to be so many different varities of them.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:14:49 AM »

There is a story behind the clog clasp too. A clogger used to come to the district over winter and would spend it in one of the local dingles, cutting out blanks from a specific timber. (One of the locals remembered it as "aural") never heard of that one, so picked him up one day to show me what an aural tree was; turned out to be the common alder. His wife can remember when she was a child going to see him in his dingle to be measured for a pair of clogs and collecting them later in the week.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal