Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Galley Halfpenny !  (Read 7450 times)
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« on: August 28, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »

Was reading up on the "Galley-Halfpenny" & wondered if anyone had ever found one & had a pic?
If you are unsure what this coin is or looks like,below is a short description & a pic of the most common found in Britain.

From the late 14th to the 16th century, small silver coins known as ‘galley halfpennies’ circulated widely, but illegally, in England. They were, in fact, Italian soldini, principally those struck for the city-state of Venice under the authority of the ruling doge(Leader-chief Magistrate). They were brought to England by ‘galley men’ trading wine and other goods, and their name may derive from Galley Quay in Thames Street, London, which was reputedly the centre for their distribution.

The English coinage at the beginning of this period was undervalued in relation to foreign currency, and consequently found its way to the continent, where it was profitably melted down. This depletion of the supply of bullion and the resulting shortage of coins, particularly small change, caused real difficulty for many people, and created a demand that was filled by the soldini. In 1402 the Commons petitioned the king to provide halfpennies and farthings for the poor people, but little was done to alleviate the shortage. However, the concern of the authorities regarding the circulation of galley halfpence can be judged by the fact that they were prohibited by statute five times during the 15th century, and finally in 1519/20. There is evidence, however, that they continued to circulate until at least the 1530’s, by which time it is possible that their value had reduced to a farthing.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

Benny I think found one at the Rooksbridge rally. Also known as a venetian Soldino

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »

Very interesting Guys, must admit not heard of it but now I know, nice little coin and history of it thanks  Grin.....Dave
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

Thanks for this Stig. Here's my only one so far:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=8307&cat=17
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

Nice pics Neil & Peterh,these coins must be scarse & it`s great that atleast 2 have been found by DW.Members!  Wink do you know their value Huh

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

Have found part of one. Smiley
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

A very interesting post you started stig.nice one mate. Wink Grin 

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:00:49 AM »

I have found about 5 Stig, always feel a little cheated when I do though because I cannot find a Henry VIII coin, they are of little value!
benny

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »

yep sure did find one at rooksbridge,managed to straighten that nasty little fold out too using tweezers and the gas hob! Will post up a pic shortly.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal