Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cow Horn Protectors or are they ?  (Read 5413 times)
simon c

« on: August 29, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

I read the post a few weeks a go about the copper alloy "horn protectors" and having found quite a few myself i can't see that they would be for that use ?,i have also found quite a few larger lead horn protectors which to me seem more practical,the one did have copper alloy rivits holding the remains of leather straps but they have now dissintergrated and i removed the rivets to weigh in the lead  Roll Eyes,The main reason i can't see the copper ones working, is the diameter at the screw end isn't big enough to fit on a cow's horn,is it possible they are off Rams or Goats,one of mine has remains of molten glass in it but i guess that could have got there in a fire,but all 3 of the copper ones have deliberate after manufacturing cut marks on either side ? Any idea's would be much appreciated.
hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

I haven't got a clue Simon , but that is an impressive collection!
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »

I TOO  HAVE NO IDEA  BUT  AS ITS BEEN SAID  WELL DONE ON A GREAT COLLECTION BUD   Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:29:15 AM »

Found this bit of info Si.

I just read about how to do this in the animal doctoring book that belonged to my great-great-grandfather! I had always been curious about how the balls were screwed onto the horns, and it sounded like this method would really work. The book (printed in the 1880's) says to bake two large round potatoes, until they are not quite as done as you would like them to eat. Stick a hot potato on each horn, and leave them there until the potato cools down some. (10 minutes?) The hot moist potato sort of steams the horn, to soften it. Then you take the hot potato off the horn, and screw the threaded brass ball on as tight as you can with pliers. According to the book, it will never come off.

Had a look around and think they were only made for cattle, may have been for the longhorn type which came to a fine tip, and of course the lead ones are home-made

The oxen pulling the plough would be the long horn type and maybe that's how and when they ended up in the ground.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:51:19 AM by hedgehog » Logged
simon c

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »

Thank's for that Steve,very interesting info,seem's i was wrong about the copper ones,so i am assuming that if the book was printed in the 1880's they would be dated to around then,to be honest the lead ones way that much i had them down for the scrap pile,might just keep the two better ones. Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal