Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a challenge for you Doc . . .  (Read 5321 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 03, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »

Borderfox found this item a few weeks a go and has asked me to post it for your opinion. appears to be made of bronze and is gilded - definately has an age to it.

Any ideas anyone? I've included the second photo for scale!

Cheers

A full of flu Neil!

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
simon c

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »

Very nice that Neil,sorry not sure what it is though,does have a Stylus or writting look about it,well found
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »

Looks interesting but I don't know what it is sorry. Are the round bits at each end pins going through or just decoration?
hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »

Is there a slight curve to it? Looks reminiscent of bodkins , but also as you say looks quite old, hope someone can date it for you, any other finds made in the same area, that would help with possible dating?
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »

hi, the eye of the bird, was blocked and i ve now pushed through the same at the back,  it has a natural curve, where going back tomorrow,  didn t spend anytime in the field but we where told theres was a monastry there 13th cent. i felt it was 13  th centuary, the gilt goes right through this item i havn t cleaned  only a little of the crud of help john
hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

Possibly was a bodkin then, would have had something like a chain attached (you can see the wear on the large eye) and used as a cloak fastener, nice find , hope you find more today, good luck, and hope you don't freeze!!!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »

I think a bodkin is a good shout! Its a nice item and I can imagine someone wanting to display it also as a cloak fastner in days gone by. Is it from the site you were telling me about?

Good luck today John, and post an update on how you get on.

I am house bound for at least a week with the flaming flu!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
goldmaxuser
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »

here s a bodkin found a few years back,not quite straight ,worried in case I snaped it in two , made of  silver
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

hi goldmaxuser neil and hedgehog, thanks for your help and time, and the others, could you help with date please going up the m4 it was minus 5,  today,anyway wasn t to bad when we got there  baraclavia and london underground padded coat on i was warm as toast, not a good day, the field in question apparently not only had  a monastry in it but also the remains scattered of a world war 11 plane, so i was lucky to winkle the bodkin cloak fastener out. anyway only had a grot roman my mate had a nice cut half probably henry  111,  and a few roman grot   thats five hammered in 4 outings i call him the vacum cleaner good luck john pugh
hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »

Think you may be somewhere near on the date 13th/14th century, although it has the attributes of many possible centuries the gilding and cross hatching on the item would suggest medieval. Glad you survived the cold and found some more bits and pieces!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal