Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: archaeologists have you helped  (Read 2419 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: August 20, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »

has anyone of our members ever gone out with Archy's to help them on a site or given any other help to them whilst out on a field site they are digging ! Grin Wink
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

YES   I WAS  OUT  DETECTING  ONE  AFTERNOON  AND  I WAS  APPROACHED  BY  A GUY  WHO INTRODUCED  HIMSELF  AS AN ARCHAEOLOGIST   AND  ASKED  IF  I COULD HELP HIM ,,,,,,  SEEMED  HE  HAD  LOCKED  HIS  KEYS  IN HIS  BMW ,,,,,,  I TOLD  HIM  I WAS  HAPPY TO HELP  IF  I COULD ,,,,,,,,,,,
I TRIED  TO GET INTO THE CAR  BUT  COULDENT ,,,,, HE  TOLD  ME  HE  WAS  DESPERATE  TO GET  THE  KEYS  AS HE  HAD  TO  GET  INTO THE CAR  AS HE  HAD  AN  APOINTMENT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   TO HELP  I PUT  HIS  DRIVERS SIDE  WINDOW  THROUGH  WITH MY  SPADE ........... AND GAVE  HIM  HIS  KEYS ,,,,,,  AND   YOU  KNOW   WHAT   Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh    NOT  AS  MUCH  AS A THANK YOU Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 TRY  TO  HELP  SOME  PEOPLE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  AND YA  GET  MOANED  AT  ,,,,,,,,,, WHAT   CAN  YA  DO   AHHHHHHH      Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:11:55 PM by DIGGA » Logged

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »

i must answer yes to this uestion. last 3 days our club was invited to support an archaeologist and a village history group to open up some exploratory trenches and to detect the area for metal artefacts. 8 detectorists were on site yesterday, 6 today.

to date we have had over 50 coins, lots of lead, 2 brooches and several bronze pieces. we still have tomorrow to go as well.

this is the 3rd dig we have been asked to support this year with the opportunity of another one later on. our club relationship with the archaeologist is a positive one, where he will speak to us once a year, with up to date maps and charts showing location of finds and artefacts and the rationale of what it suggests.

this relationship has been ongoing since 1999 and we now refer to him as the groups consultant archaeologist. all finds are recorded with FLO after his recording.

the relationship is so positive that our club is often called upon to support other digs in our area. i would urge all clubs to develop these links.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »

I would say quite a few times Kev. As you know I worked as an Archy for a few years and would not go anywhere without the tector.
robson (chris)

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:58 PM »

nope havent done that but would if it was a really good site
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »

Have spoken to and been to a few site digs out of interest, mentioned the detector bit and got the evil eye! I would love to participate though fascinating. Grin   Dave
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »

Over the years we have helped out on many excavations and recovered many dateable objectsm that otherwise would been missed..But we did all the running.
benny

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »

Earlier this year there was a dig on a car park in our town to make way for a new library thats gonna be built. They were expecting to find the remains of the Bishops palace(they didn't).
Naturally,I fancied a bit of detecting in the middle of town it being a medieavel market town so went to have a chat with the arkies,they were just as up for it as I was!
I started off doing a bit of trowel work in one of the trenches which was slow and tedious then tected over the spoil heaps,found a tudor buckle,thimble and a Hans Krauwinkle jetton so it just goes to show what they missed!
Went back the following saturday and within the next couple of days a load of scalpings were gonna be backfilled over the whole site so they let me have a free run of the site,found another jetton was expecting some silver but none showed up.
Overall I enjoyed the experience of working with them and I never heard a negative comment towards detectorists and its not everyday you get to detect in the middle of your home town,but the highlight for me was seeing a whole blown glass onion bottle being unearthed out of one of the rubbish pits.
Would definately help out again if I was needed!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal