Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Review: Inglourius Basterds - Incongrous Claptrap  (Read 8362 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: August 20, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

There aren't many films I take a dislike to the moment the opening titles start running but I'm afraid this was one of them. There was a strong smell of spaghetti western about this film right from the off. OK that might be considered part of Tarantino's style but it seemed to work in his previous films but definitely didn't in this one.
The opening scene was meant to be in occupied France during the second world war but the spaghetti western soundtrack in the background and the actor's clothing just said cowboys and injuns to me and the whole scene came across as incongruous, confusing and offputting.

This opening scene was closely followed by a long, long interminably boring scene with a German officer talking to a farmer. The pace of this film can only be described as leisurely and to my mind is a prime example of a director being given too much money to make a film. If Tarrantino had been given half the budget he actually had the film would have been better. Not good, but shorter - which in this case could only have been better.

The basic plot of the film is that a group of Americans are sent into occupied France to kill 'Nazis'. They do this by committing all kinds of atrocities. Naturally, being Tarrantino these atrocities are shown in graphic detail. You would expect plenty of blood and guts with Tarrantino but after a while I did get the feeling that he was sprinkling gory scenes through the film just to shock the audience and that they didn't advance the plot at all. For example when a woman was getting an injection from a doctor we are treated to an extreme closeup shot of the needle going into her arm. Totally unnecessary and gratuitous and to be honest a little juvenile.

The 'hero' of the film was the American officer played by Brad Pitt. This was a totally unlikeable character whose only positive attribute was that we didn't actually see as much of him during the film as you might expect, being the lead. Pitt may have been handicapped by the writing of the character but it wasn't his finest performance ever. As the leader of the supposedly 'good guys' battling the Nazis it did occur to me by the end of the film that the worst 'Nazi' in the film was in fact the American officer played by Pitt, torturing and maiming people in the name of 'democracy'.

Overall if I'd gone to see this film without knowing Tarrantino had directed it I would have assumed that it had been made by a first year student at film school doing a not very good pastiche of Tarrantino's work. At the end I wasn't sure whether this was meant to be a send-up of the war film genre or whether it was a fantasy very, very, very loosely based on historical facts. I'm not sure the director knew what kind of film he was meant to be making either. Whatever kind of film it's meant to be, it just doesn't work. This isn't the worst film I've ever seen but it really isn't very good.

Geoff
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

One to miss then Wink

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
romano-brit

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »

one to wait till it comes out on DVD or get a cheap copy of it then

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

I saw the DVD on sale in Asda yesterday for £9.

Glad I didn't buy it now as from your review.

No doubt it'll be shown on a plane when I fly somewhere or on tv. I'll just wait
rather than splash the cash!

It's a shame there aren't more film/DVD reviews on here!

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the review Geoff,one to be "Missed" by the sound of it !

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »

Thanks for the review, Geoff. I am a Tarantino fan usually, but I think I'll wait for this one to come on telly.  Smiley

Legacy Hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »

THINK I WILL GIVE THIS ONE A MISS I THINK
DEBS
cronge (richard)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »

why not download them yourselves from fenopy
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »

DONT SOUND TO GOOD GEOFF.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »

no need to download it watched it on tv shack
James

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:50 AM »

I downloaded it and it was rubbish!!!! very boring !

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:25 AM »

I bought it a recommendation (by some one who hadn`t actually seen it)  He had seen Jonathon Ross and Quentin Tarantino talking about it and Ross requested you go out and buy it.

Anyway i stuck it out for about half an hour or more ,till finally i just had to switch it off . IT WAS GARBAGE !

The acting was amateurish, the scenery was unrealistic for where it was "supposed" to be depicitating ,and the plot was pathetic. All in all, I`d rate it as the worst war film i`ve ever watched . And i`ve watched a few bad ones.
If that`s the best what Tarantino can do , why is he hailed as a good film producer ?

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »

I didnt know it was a Tarantino movie..... i think most of his movies are rubbish anyways so will definatley avoid.,,, thanks for saving me a few quid  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal