Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wreck watch returned 128 years - Pembrokeshire.  (Read 3865 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 20, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »

Courtesy of BBC Online 20th August 2009

A silver pocket watch which lay on the seabed for almost 130 years is being returned to the family of its owner. Diver Rich Hughes spotted the antique glinting in the sand as he explored a shipwreck off the Pembrokeshire coast. He then turned detective to trace the descendants of the watch's owner - Richard Prichard who was captain of the ship which sank in storms in 1881.

It will be handed to retired dentist Owen Cowell of Pwllheli, Gwynedd, the closest surviving family member.

When Mr Hughes first brought the watch to the surface he saw the words "Richard Prichard 1866 Abersoch North Wales" engraved on the casing.

Mr Hughes, 38, from Fishguard, then started work to trace the family.

He said: "I was amazed that the watch was in such good condition after laying at the bottom of the sea for generations.

"As soon as I saw the name it started me thinking about Richard Prichard.

"I knew he would be the master and commander of the ship - none of the crew would be able to afford a valuable timepiece."

I felt that although I'd found it the watch wasn't mine and I wanted to return it to its rightful owner

Mr Hughes discovered Prichard was the captain of the Barbara, a square-rigged barque which came to grief during a storm off Freshwater West in 1881.

He had mysteriously died earlier during the voyage to pick up a cargo of rice from Burma. He was buried at sea and a new master, known only as Captain Jones, became the watch's custodian - probably intending to give it to the Prichard family after arriving in Liverpool. But the ship never made it back.

Captain Jones lack of navigational skills meant he ended up in the Bristol Channel instead of St George's Channel heading towards Liverpool.

All the crew were rescued by lifeboat, with the exception of Captain Jones who went down with his ship.

Mr Hughes said: "It's possible that he died with the silver watch in his pocket.

"His remains are long gone but the watch survived, possibly because it became buried in sediment which would have preserved it.

"But I felt that although I'd found it the watch wasn't mine and I wanted to return it to its rightful owner."

He brought in amateur historian David Roberts to trace Capt Prichard's family.

Mr Roberts said: "I knew the inscription said he was from Abersoch so I visited two cemeteries in the area.

"Through his family tree I was able to trace Captain Prichard's descendants and was amazed to find they are still living in North Wales."

Mr Roberts discovered two memorials to Capt Prichard - one on the grave of his parents and the other of his grave of his wife and child.

The watch, which was seized up and will never work again, will be handed to Mr Cowell later this month. His grandmother was Captain Prichard's cousin, making him the closest surviving family member.

He said: "I am delighted the watch has come home after all these years.

"It has come as a complete surprise to me that my ancestors had such a colourful, seafaring past."

The timepiece, made by north Wales watchmaker Richard Thomas, will go on display in the village hall at Porthmadog later this year.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »

very intresting one that Neil. here is the link Wink
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8208989.stm
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »

Nice story !! Neil  Wink good to see such honesty in todays world Shocked I,ve got a penchant for old pocket watches always wanted to collect them never found one whilst detecting  Huh but have found quite a few watch fobs Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »

NICE ONE  NEIL  TO  THINK  HE  MANAGED TO FIND FAMILY  AFTER  SUCH A LONG TIME   AND  HAND  THE WATCH  BACK   AMAZING   Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »

Nice story,i think its really nice when items found can find there way back to relatives Grin   Dave
Romansue

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »

Smiley Smiley Great story Neil.........it must have been very satisfying to have it returned to the next of kin. Grin
melonhead

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »

enjoyed reading that i like interesting short stories
robson (chris)

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:45 PM »

its mad to think after all that time its now back with the family

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal