Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vera Martindale  (Read 4063 times)
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« on: August 14, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »

Well they had Vera into hospital the other day as she had fainted. They decided a pace maker was called for and she went off for the operation. All seemed to go well but first thing the next morning she died aged 92.

It won't be a name you recognise as she was one of the early pioneers in the Manchester area when she was 50. I lived in Lancashire (Maghull) and we had formed a small group of detector users to share travel costs into Wales, up to Blackpool and into the Peaks.

We tried a detecting trip to Spain and followed up with visits to Portugal, France etc. As everyone was convinced detectors didn't work, you could detect anywhere. They did hardly work but we knew no better. No BBS/FBS or pulse for the wet sand. No discrimination but you could avoid much iron and some machines had a insensitivity to very small ferrous.

By 1983 Whites had opened the floodgates to shallow water detecting with the PI 1000 pulse. Unfortunately Vera was not able to take advantage as medical problems meant she could only get around with a walking frame but she followed the hobby through her friends and the detecting magazines that had started up.

Her doctor thought she would be bed bound within a few years but she was still living at home and managing most things herself right up to last week.

I'll never forget her standing toe to toe with a jobs worth park keeper who didn't want us to detect "his" park. They were sticking a huge sewage type pipe from end to end and had scraped off a bulldozer width of turf. We wanted to detect the bare soil.

"Your grass" she said pointing at the bulldozed heaps, "our park!" pointing at the bare strip. We were allowed to continue.

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »

i'm sure you will miss that feisty lady....rip vera.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »

Hi Brian

Im sorry to Hear about yours and Vera,s familys loss.
She sounded a true hell raiser,something our hobby need right now.
My best wishs go out to you and Vera's family as this sad time .

regards
Phil Jones
(RARE)
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »

As the camper is still in trouble with its gas supply its off in the car tomorrow morning at five. Quick flog up the motorway then straight back afterwards. Bet it rains none stop !
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

Vera sounds like she was a likable character and she is now searching that big field in the sky. God bless Vera. My
thoughts are with you and her family

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal