Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out today with John Pugh - what a waste of time that was! 23/12/08  (Read 5335 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »

Who am I kidding - I had the best day ever in my short time detecting. Grin

We met at around 8:45am ish  somewhere in deepest, darkest Wales - the kind of place where the men are men and the sheep are scared (they should be seeing John in his wellies!  Wink)

We are both armed with Explorer II's with a Muskie as a back up. Anyway we hit the pastures after a brief walk around and decide to grid the areas. Johns is ta the top of the field and I am at the bottom. I had found about 3 lead signals when I unearth a copper alloy object withh 3 holes in the bottom - reminds me of the base of a seal box. Any suggestions? I look up to tell John, but he's already upon me and is grinning from ear to ear as he is holding a Denarius in his hand - one nil to John! Looks like its going to be a good day!

Next item falls to me and its my first denarius ever! I had only been bemoaning my lack of Roman silver earlier in the day, so it was a great feeling to unearth one, that feeling will always be there! Looks like its Republican - but I want to try and research it myself first, so no guesses please!

Next signal, and oh my god its a votive offering of a man minus his legs. Found a couple of feet (excuse the pun) from the Denari. I rush 100 meters+ to show John who by now is muttering something about "I'm the teacher - your the pupil! Not the other way around!"

Return to my grid and then about 30 foot from Johns bag I pull out a couple of grots (I can call them that now) and then yet another Denari! Whats going on - none in 2.5+ years then two in a day (and they say you never find anything in Wales!) 2-1 to me!!!! This one is also a tad odd looking! I am trying to find what it is at the mo.

John then redemes himself with a really beautiful Disc Brooch - with an unusual fitting. Lovely find and intricatly carved. I find a bronze ring - another grot and lots of other bronze items. I also stumble across a lump of encrusted metal that is giving me a Denarius signal -  I test it in front of John and we both agree - there's something in it, that is not ferous. Its sat on my kitchen table at the moment - more on that in a later post!

I pull a broken brooch out, and once again John is upon me (he's like a ghost!) holding yet another Denari! He gave it a clean a bit later and the reverse is outstanding! Well done mate - really pleased for you! Cracking find.

The scores 2-2 and we are entering injury time as the darkness is creeping up on us! And that is where it ends OR does it - as I still have the lump of mystery to open! Time to get my dremmel out - more on this later!

In the Denari photo the ones on the left are my finds, and the ones on the right Johns.

I get home about 7ish - shattered, but more than happy!

Its been a great detecting end of the year for me!

Happy Christmas one and all

Neil

P.S. To round up, last night I was lieing in bed with the wife and said " Do you know what, I have a really good feeling about tomorrow - I think I'll find something decent." she looked at me with the look only a wife can give. As if to say "how many times have I heard that?" Looks like I was right for once.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:23:12 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »

More finds pictures . . .

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:03:09 AM »

hi neil,  two explorer 11 toe to toe, i give you the day on the strengh of that lovely roman celtic figure, plus the mystry find neil forget s to mention all this was found in approx  100 sq yards in seven hours  of griding excellent decting on his part,lot of those targets were 10 to 15 inches deep, plus about 40 lumps of lead anyway well done but a warning if you beat me again,  neil, post the photo of what happened to my last dect partner, after he beat me Grin Grin  best regards and see you soon john pugh
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »

They both look a bit sheepish to me !!! Grin Grin Grin

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

An excellent day, Neil, well done. Please post some bigger pics of both sides of the denarii if you want me to try and ID them.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »

Thanks John - thoroughly enjoyed my day out! I'll be in touch after Christmas is out of the way regarding our next trip. I really appreciated today. A great time and great company! I am not going to say Thank You as I know you hate that!

Cheers
Neil

P.S. I have just tried that lump on my Minelab X-Terra  machine and I am pretty sure it is silver, as the number reading is quite exact on the X-Terra! More to follow on this tomorrow - for Gods sake its nearly 1 o'clock!

Neil Again!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

jaydogg
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »

Cracking selection there Neil; you should buy some reference books then you could id them. Good show. 
hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »

Great site there, that was an exciting day, sure you will find plenty more. Fantastic amount of finds for one day out, and fantastic finds, well done!
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 01:16:39 PM »

great finds john and neil well done both . THERE IS GOOD FINDS IN WALES . Grin
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »

Brilliant session that Neil, any chance of more pictures of that coin with a horse on please?

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
borderfox.1495

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »

hi, the coin with the horse on was domitian, denarius, with domitian on back riding horse ad 73, spears no 2644, dont now how to post photo s so neil done them ps rome mint its lovely condition, and its my best ever denari regards john pugh
James

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

nice finds both!!! Smiley im forgetting what its like to go detecting  Sad

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
borderfox.1495

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »

hi james see you t the club next week and we will have a day out if you want regards john
James

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »

yes see you at the club  Smiley ive been ill the past week with the flu, its still not showing any signs of going Sad

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »

Solidarity James! I also have the flu and have had since New Years Eve - my Doc says it lasts 2-3 weeks! What a nightmare.

See you at the next meeting

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal