Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well my first purchase!!  (Read 5592 times)
ewansdad27

« on: August 06, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »

Ok so after looking around i managed to get my hands on a cracking little c-scope 660 and for th bargin of 35 pounds and to top the nice fella even dropped it off to me!!. Just goes to show there are still kind humans around us.

Thanks mate

To be the best you gotta beat the best. thats a whole of beatings i gotta give Wink
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »

For 35 quid you can't go far wrong.

Is the nice fella a member of DetectingWales  Huh

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

Well done mate. Now get to to know every last bit of your detector. Inside out. Bury stuff at home Ferrous and non ferrous. See if you can find a few old coins and test the depth to see the limits of its capabilities and most of all enjoy it.
ewansdad27

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

well you probably know beefy? it used to be his actually then got sold and now its come my way lol

To be the best you gotta beat the best. thats a whole of beatings i gotta give Wink
silverhand

but it was there a minute ago

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

not a bad machine there nice one happy hunting

hammerd this year 0
hammerd last year 1

overall targets looks like i need to find more hammerd coins
ewansdad27

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »

I have a question. I just went out the back and as expected, it was going crazy. But what i want to know is, where is the point of detection? Is it at the top end of the circle or the centre? sorry if it sounds a stupid question but i would love to know. Also  i have one major problem. I cant seem to discrim anything. i put a bottle cap on the floor and tried to set it so it wouldnt make any sound when passed over it. No luck there and im hoping its just me being stupid
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:08:43 PM by ewansdad27 » Logged

DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »

yes i know  the machine ,,,,, it  was mine before  beef had it   ,,,,,,,,,,,,, for  £35 queensheads   you cant go wrong bud ,,,,  the  discrim  isent  the  best  but  believe  me     i  found   LOADS   with it   Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:41:50 PM by DIGGA » Logged

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

Well done hope you have some good finds with it........... Grin Grin Grin Grin  I used one they are great........... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
ewansdad27

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

Well blimey, thats been handed around a few times. but i really am excited about going out now. Me and cadzyy are going to go camping in caerphilly and try our luck there ( i still bare in mind that he has found an edward 1st coin lately Wink

anyway i still need help with the discriminator as i reall have no idea how to discriminate stuff. I tried ring pulls and bottle tops but the detector wil not ignore it. I did manage to sop it dtecting them but it wont recognise my gold ring either. Any ideas what im doing wrong. I have read the manual but nothing in there tells me how to set it properly.

Thanks in advance

DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »

WHEN I HAD IT    I USED  TO  TURN IT  UP  SO YOU CAN HEAR THE  LOUD  BUZZING  THEN  TURN IT BACK  SLOWLY    AND   STOP  JUST  SO YOU CANT HEAR THE BUZZ  ANYMORE  ,,,,,  WORKED FOR ME  BUD     ,,,,, HOPE  THIS HELPS   Grin Grin Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:58:08 AM »

The hot spot should be dead centre of the coil as its a concentric coplaner design.

With some of these TR designs there's items you cannot discrim. out in air but will in ground. I've a feeling though that this machine had a limited range of discrimination so as not to cut in ground depth down to much. So you get variable within a range but not "full range" discrimination as with its big brother the CS770.

You should be detecting with a SLIGHT threshold and the minimum discrimination you can get away with.
Spend a thousand pounds on a detector and you will still miss gold rings if ring pulls are rejected as all machine's love light alloy such as ring pulls. To get a bit complicated, and nothing is what it seems in detecting, detectors read conductivity not composition but conductivity readings get skewed by the targets size. Then add in that shape also is a factor especially ring/round shapes and bottle caps and you can see why VDI meters are probability (or in my view possibility) meters. The one plus side of this is that if you can discriminate out a large lump of iron if it was a cannonball the round shape would defeat your discrimination setting and you would still find it.

On land use small iron reject only, top of beach small foil, wet sand large foil to ground balance out the salt water effect.

Best of luck
ewansdad27

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

Thanks very much for the reply  all and especially for taking the time to post some really good info. I was always curious what materials would be skipped on certain number settings with discrimination. I did get told something which interested me. They said that if you were to set discrimination to ignore aluminum then it would be impossible to detect gold as it has a higher range in aluminum. Is that true
(hope that makes sense lol)

I tried to figure out the discriminator yesterday but for the life of me i cant tune it to ignore bottle tops. If my discrim ignores the bottle cap ( it was on number 5) it would ignore my wedding ring. I really think i'm doing something wrong lol ahhhhh

NOTE: sorry Brian i have woken up a little here and realize what your saying now. If its under the ground it will try to discriminate that way but it wont do it above the surface

So if anyone has more tips then please feel free to drop them of in my cloud pool of thoughts

Many thanks

Gareth
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:36:11 AM by ewansdad27 » Logged

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »

as most people have said.just discrim out iron...cutting out ringpulls will eliminate rings too....sometimes foil can sound like gold...we really cant win.....just learn the different sounds of your machine...my advice for now is...dig everything and learn the sounds.....good luck and dont give up.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
sukisal
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »

Grin Yep there will be a point where it will just dicrim out the iron, so is best to set it so will give you a sound, but if you stop and swing it over at different angles, you will hear the machine trying to cancel it out.

What a lot of newcomers tend to do, have disctim too high, and will miss the hammered coins and small silver or gold.

Good luck with your new machine.
Junkman

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »

I was out detecting with a friend and his dad. I found a really nice Hammered Lizzie and went over to show them. Friend dad said  "in 5 years of detecting I have never found a hammered coin". He asked me to put it on the ground so he could see what signal it gave and as he waved his Garret over it....nothing. Very puzzling.

I looked at his machine and he had set it to discriminate out foil and ringpulls and then said " I always use my machines like that" . No wonder in 5 years he had never found a hammered.

Told him a bit about discrimination, turned his machines discrim down and a few weeks later he found his first hammered coin Grin Grin

As the others have said, just discrim out small iron nails etc and dig everything else!!

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal