Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The E.trac Top Dog On Pasture.?  (Read 17483 times)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

It's a great machine...........especially for developing upper body strength and stamina!!!
 Grin

outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »

I never quite understand why makers of detectors have to spend money on visual displays.

For one brought up on minelab tectors, i would rather shell out £1000 + on a tector that out performs other leading makes where the performance is advanced through audio. Perhaps the overal costs would come down without displays !

I think visual displays are more of a gimmick.

Minelab especially take advantage using them. The new e.trac may have signal processors slightly more finely tuned than previous models, but it is an explorer turned upside down, captilising on convincing users,  using the display !

There are far more inteligent people than me out there, but if you look at the design specs of explorers 11/se/trac, operating ranges 1.5khz - 100khz !

It is that makes my mind boggle about all detector manufacturers, if you put a mini engine of the same spec into 4 new bodies, can you make it go faster dependaant on what body it is in ? It certainly reflects on the price we all pay.

It isnt a good thing for metal detecting as a whole if one manufacturer controls the markets and media forums, because smaller manufacturers with new designs that could be advances are pushed out. It becomes a one way street.

My other point, the costs involved for supposed top end detectors are becoming very very costly to the ordinary man in the hobby.

Its a great shame that there isnt a place where you could put a deposit down and hire a new model for a week or so and all of us could try out new detectors as they come on the market, it could change our views drastically.  Grin

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:13:49 AM by outlaw » Logged
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »

a very good point outlaw well said i agree with you Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »

Outlaw - The point you make below

"Its a great shame that there isnt a place where you could put a deposit down and hire a new model for a week or so and all of us could try out new detectors as they come on the market, it could change our views drastically."

is one I made on this site some weeks back but seemed to get disagreed with !!!

I made the point that before you buy a car you can take it for a test drive, or buy a tv - you can see it working, etc etc.

Personally I don't see why it can't be the same with metal detecting. If a manufacturer has confidence in their product then surely they will allow you to use for up to 28 days and return for a refund. But Oh, No, you've got to buy and take a chance. AND, your lucky to get a one year guarantee. Minelab have just extended their guarantee period to 3 years, BUT, should you sell the machine it is not transferable !!!

I'm not a great fan of Minelab as a Manufacturer as they strictly control the market and I've heard stories of the UK distributor leaning on the smaller detecting shops who have managed to import their own!! Also, in my opinion, Minelab seem to drip feed their products with 'improvements' that they could/should have done previously. EG. Why hasn't the ET got cordless headphone facility? (XP system works brilliantly and theirs has been about for years now).

I also agree with you about the display. If it's a good signal you're going to dig it regardless of what the display says. The displays are seldom accurate. Every make of machine I've had, the numbers or icons have jumped about!

The best on the market for price/performance is the Garrett Ace 250, which I enjoy using for coin shooting especially in parks etc. I got a couple of coils, headphones, bag, coil cover and pinpointer for less than £250! I was shocked by how good the performance / depth is....and that against the latest Minelab Safari !!!

I do think that a lot of the detector manufacturers are ripping us detectorists off.

I'd love to see a detector shop willing to let us "try before we buy"!!!.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:31:26 AM by rjm » Logged

altinkum

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »

minelab only control the market if your a slave to their brand. there's plenty of other brands out there that on their day with the right conditions will make a e-trac look like a waste of money which in my mind it is anyway. going back to vdi displays i find it good on my fisher 75 as anything thats under 20 i dont dig as it's foil but if you were going over the same targets with a audio only detector you would be digging them as a good signal but i do agree it does jump about a bit on some signals.  mike

explorers, my arse
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »

Bronze age & Viking Gold is almost pure and gives a  poor signal not like staters or hammered gold which  have a percentage of bronze & silver.in them. I dig every dodgy signal because some of the best  finds have come these signals.. Up to now the E. trac has exceled on every site I been on. The downside is the pinpointing.with the E.trac.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »

........yes, the downside is the pinpointing AND............ that huge price tag!!!

In fairness it is an impressive machine when  used by a person who knows how to use it properly. It does have a learning curve.

I saw my friend use the ET today with the 5" coil and find a french dime (5p size) at 10 inches. That's quite good going. No trouble pinpointing with that size coil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

outlaw

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »

I appreciate that it would be very difficult for any retail outlet to let potential buyers use new detectors on trial periods, because it becomes 2nd hand !

You would need a lot of detectors, and outlay. As much as I would like it, I can understand why it would be difficult to set up.

When you buy any new detector it can take quite a while before you understand what it is telling you.  The e,trac is a prime example ! 

I see regton's are supporting xp forum, minelab do it with mlo, and successfully manipulate the markets.

More manufacturers should set up forums and sell their wares, the internet is a powerful selling tool.

simon c

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »

Personally Outlaw i prefer forums like DW,more about detecting less about manufactures hype,trouble with manufactures sites is there just about that brand. Grin
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:43 PM »

I was given the E. trac as a present so i didnt put a hole in my pocket and I was not taken in by any hype, because
I simply could not afford it and had no intentions of buying it. But since I have had it Iam amazed by its depth and
minelab have not paid me for saying this.  If you dont own.a E.trac and you  are openly criticising the machine . Please borrow  a Etrac for a day then cpme and tell me  what  yoiu think Grin       
outlaw

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2009, 05:42:23 AM »

I was given the E. trac as a present so i didnt put a hole in my pocket and I was not taken in by any hype,

will they buy me an e.trac as a prezzie  Grin

You re a lucky man !

and a quick reply to simon c :
 Personally Outlaw i prefer forums like DW,more about detecting less about manufactures hype,trouble with manufactures sites is there just about that brand.

I agree  Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:47:36 AM by outlaw » Logged
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »

Thank you for calling me a lucky man with the free detector, but your  not to know that my Parkinson Disease is
making it more and more difficult  for me to carrry on the hobby i love. I dont feel lucky at the moment.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »

I was given the E. trac as a present so i didnt put a hole in my pocket and I was not taken in by any hype, because
I simply could not afford it and had no intentions of buying it. But since I have had it Iam amazed by its depth and
minelab have not paid me for saying this.  If you dont own.a E.trac and you  are openly criticising the machine . Please borrow  a Etrac for a day then cpme and tell me  what  yoiu think Grin       

I agree with you. My mate I go detecting with has the ET and is now getting to grips with it and is becoming more and more impressed with it.

But even he admits he only thinks the machine is worth about £800 and not the £1249 it actually cost. Originally when they came out they were selling at £1000 but Minelab put the prices up because of the $. Now the $ has gone down against the £ the prices have stayed at £1249. It's like the Petrol companies being slow to change their prices when the cost of a barrel of oil comes down............they're ripping people off. The Utility companies are at it too, so Minelab are in good company!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal