Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Seven - Blackwood. The Ancient Pat Rally!  (Read 22612 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 02, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »

I set off nice and early for todays Rally at 7.45am and got there at 9.05am! For once I had no hangover so I can't even blame that! A 20 minute journey from home to the site took me 1 hour and 20 minutes! When you consider I live in Cardiff and a young lady called Jade managed to find the site no problem all the way from York - it really puts my Sat Nav and map reading skills in perspective! Grin

Anyway enough of that I found the site thanks to Rob talking me in, which was most amusing. The usual shenaigans started the day with Phil leaving most people in awe at his amazing buckle,registration, polo short & badge sales and then on to the briefing. I personally though it was a very apt and a tremendously observed minutes silence for Meshak who recently passed away. Thank you all for the contributions you made as well, which Phil Ynysboeth will deliver to his wife.

Onto the finds! We had several pasture fields to play with and the day started quite slow for most. The first find of note came from Richy and caused much excitement and amusement as it was in the form of a stair rod holder! " Millsy's face was a picture" - how coincidental. Grin  Richy was also the proud new owner of a George III silver sixpence.

I ventured off towards the old Mill site with The Stig, both of us narrowly dodging The Wild Horses - who had a real paddy on about something! The Mill site didn't produce anything of interest bar for a few coppers and to cap it all I nearly broke my ankle traversing up and down the hill. Stig's machine packed in on him, so I sent him to my car to use my spare X-Terra 30 for the rest of the day. That was it in that field for me a dodgy ankle and a broken machine - the field was cursed in my opinion!

On returning to the main fields I found Adie with a lovely Lizzie three pence, a vicky six pence and a really nice sweetheart brooch. This was quickly followed by Stig with a snake buckle. These things are increadibly hard to date they from Roman to Medieval to now - I even wore one in the 1970's!

Next finds I saw was Coleggwent with a silver Joey and he proceeded to tell me about a ring he found which got him all excited, until he saw inside it said "Made in Hong Kong" on the front it had Santa as well. Christmas Cracker anyone? Grin

Then there was a quiet period for sometime until news reached me that Ancient Pat had struck again. Rumour had it he had found a Groat, then Geoff appeared and said it was a Groat and a Half Groat. Then I saw Gadget who informed me it was a Groat, a Half Groat and a Hammered Gold coin! Surely someone was pulling my leg here, after all very little else had come up in the way of hammereds! Huh I wondered if they were just from Pats astonishing coin collection he had brought to show us, but sure enough Ancient Pat had struck again! The coins were outstanding and he looked pleased as punch (If only he was a young as Punch! Wink). Well done Pat on yet another amazing day.

I think thats makes Pat's haul off Detectingwales rallies to date at 7 hammered, 1 gold hammered and a gold ring! Way to go mate! Theres a lot to be said for slowing down and knowing your machine well. I have no idea on what the gold coin is, but I am confident an experienced jeweller would be able to straighten it.

Onto other not quite so important but interesting finds. Jeff Stock had a 1 Ore coin from Denmark and a Jubilee Head Joey that didn't feel or look quite right -possibly an India issue.

Someone {I forget who} had a battered Roman. Steven King (him of the metal detecting fame and not horror movies fame) had a nice Half Crown and sixpence. The final find of the day was my old mate Jaydogg with a William III sixpence - well done buddy.

All in all an excellent day out. Thanks go to Digga for arranging the land - cheers mate - much appreciated. Thanks as always to Geoff for organising. Rob for being Rob! And everyone else for turning up!

Until the next time my friends
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »

Finds

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

More finds

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

Even more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »

Still going

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »

Nearly at the end!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »

Lovely post Neil,a great day had by all,i enjoyed it but it`s a pity my machine decided to pack up or i would of stayed for the rest of the day,well thats me knackered now until i can get another detector. Sad

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »

Last find of the day - Jaydogg's William III - looks almost like they have made it into a love token.

Cheers for now - time for wine!  Wink

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

sodbuster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »

Great report , and thanks for the pictures , some crackin' finds , well done
silverhand

but it was there a minute ago

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »

thanks for the great day meet loads of new people  thanks digga and admin only thing i found was this any one know what it is?HuhHuh

hammerd this year 0
hammerd last year 1

overall targets looks like i need to find more hammerd coins
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »

Thanks for writing that up Neil well done. I know quite a few people took pics of their finds , this thread would be ideal to upload them onto. Cracking day all round thanks Digga for the land , much appreciated fella.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »

Fantastic, what a detectorist! Should be Amazing Pat not Ancient Pat, well done to you, Grin Great report again Neil  Smiley Looks like another great day was had. Well done to all the finders. Smiley
silky

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »

just to say thankyou to digga for letting us have your fields for the day,and a thankyou to the folks who helped organise the day ,Had a great time the sun shone the views were great and the company wasnt bad either  Smiley.cant wait until the next one . Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
digger

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »

Did anyone pick up my spade which I stupidly left propped up against the wall in
the lane? I hurried to see Pat,s finds, then we drove off.Senior moment again. If
you picked it up, please bring it to the Scan Club meeting. If you,re not a member,
could you bring it to the next D.W rally. Much obliged, STAN
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »

I think your name sake Digga mentioned it and said he was going to pick it up as we had no idea who it belonged to. He's not a SCAN member so I'm guessing you may have to collect it at the next DetecingWales rally which is probably in a couple or weeks Stan

Drop Digga a PM - he's on here quite a lot!

Hope that helps
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal