Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, why not  (Read 3113 times)
Charles Cater

« on: December 19, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »

Why not charge fo membership to this site to get rid of the advertisements Geoff.

I am sure members would mak some contribution and  fiver in an envelope addressed to you would see this site for a few years to come without the adverts.

I have mentioned this before  and I think you should now ask members if they agree.

I note that some have never been on site or posted since they joined and should really be eliminated to reflect the real membership numbers.
Give them one month and if there is no sign of them then they go..  Huh

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »

i go along with that 2 Smiley
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »

We discussed membership fees and not really sure its agood idea as it tend to be restrictive on encouraging members. We have a couple of fund raising ideas that will become apparent in the New Year, if not before. so at the moment it shouldn't be a problem.

As for non-posting members. If people just wish to read the content thats fine - its a free world, and there are several sites I go on where I only view and never post and have done for years. Its not an issue.

Admin had a purge and got rid of some balcklisted IP Adresses yesterday, so the rest remaining should be legitamate.

Members may however find it to their personal advantage to post regularly though as we have discussed sometime in the not too distant future a DetectingWales.com members only rally. Obviously certain parameters will be set regarding those who can attend along the lines of the ones for competition entrants.

Interesting topic. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks
Neil
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:48:09 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Charles Cater

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

OK mate, I understand, but Geoff needs help and if it comes from elsewhere that is fine by me. Smiley

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »

Both Charles and Neil make very valid points in their posts,
It's encouraging to see membership picking up but I feel that once you start charging a membership fee people will leave this site and go elsewhere.
We are only a small principality and not exactly famed for our finds so the interest in this site is probably a lot less than those run by our English cousins. If somebody started a site named "DetectingScotland" I would  possibly visit it now and again but, as a Welshman, I would be very reluctant to become a fee paying member.
Personally the ads don't bother me, in fact, I have a look now and then to see if any bargains are to be had!.
I would add that if a request for voluntary donations to help run the site was made I would be first to put my hand in my pocket.

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »

Hi Chaps,
I'm sorry if anyone is finding the ads on the site irritating, I'm doing my best to blend them into the site unobtrusively. Unfortunately nothing in life is free and this website does cost money to run. As I've said before, I don't want to go down the route of setting a membership fee or asking for donations so putting a few ads on the site would seem to be the best way of funding the site without hitting anyone in the pocket.

Geoff
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »

Hi all
Its really heart warming to see that we are very close to the end of this year and Looking forward to the future  Grin

I have no idea how much it costs to run a classy forum like this I have no problem donating if thats what required and like Richy said i dont mine the adverts either.

As for non posting members i cant see this as a problem. Im a member of a few forums some im active in some im not, forums like the Minelab owners i think ive only post 2 or 3 times but Im a regular visitor, its an invaluable source of infomation like someday www.Detectingwales.com will be thanks to the wealth of experience our members.

I ll be very interested to hear what fund raising ideas are in the pipeline.
Im sure the admin have got this well covered but as anyone got any good ideas ?

Yours faithfully
Phil Jones

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:46:37 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH » Logged
Jeffc

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

Agree with most of the above,Geoff. I have no problems with ads as long as they are reputable but also wouldn't want you out of pocket so would be more than happy with a voluntary donation if it needs it to keep running. I don't agree with removing non-posters - as with other respondants I view other sites for info without feeling I have to post just for the sake of it.
Merry Christmas and a productive New Year to all members

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal