Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Ideas on this?  (Read 11534 times)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« on: July 30, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

Found this on an old site with my GM3. Looks like it is probably a machined object, but can't think what it's for. It's about 1.5 inches long and half inch wide.

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »

Stair rod holder Bob. For keeping carpet attached to the stairs. Vicky to now. I had one many moons ago and was convinced it was ancient - sadly I was proved wrong!

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »

I am sure it is Millsy - my gran used to have them. If I remmber the carpet is laid on the stairs as a runner with wood showing either side. The rod goes at the base of each step and is held in place by one of these items. Its tacked to the wooden step via the hole and the point bites either into the carpet or the wood.

I am sure thats what it is - but I have been wrong before. Hope I am wrong as I have about 10 of the things in my scrap box!

This is the closest comparisson I can find. Have a look right at the end where the fixing is to the stairs. Not right or the same, but you get the idea

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

How about the point gets hammered/ tapped into the verticle bit of the stair into the wood, the rod goes through the hole and the small hole if nailed to the base of the floorboard. Repeat either side holding the carpet in place.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »

i recall seeing something similar in my grandma's house, but it was to fix a curtain rod. The pointed end was uppermost, to add 'effect' to the heavy duty curtains.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Neil and Millsy. Didn't mean to casue a domestic.
So it's a medieval stair rod then!   LOL

The suns come out so I'm gonna get an hour of bleeping in.

mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »

hi all im 99% certain its part of an old" GIN TRAP" that part was the piece that triggered the small plate, once the rodent had put its foot on it, its a much smaller version of the trap they use for bears, beaver etc sorry i havent a photo of one, but one will turn up knowing this forum  nice little find    mick

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »

Your miles out lads - I am telling you its definately off a stair rod! Grin

I know I am 100% correct and I will prove it my friends!

Just you wait and see. Grin

Cheers Wink
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

these are what I remember on one of my parents houses

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »

I'm enjoying this thread...... Grin Grin lol.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

NO NO NO   SORRY  BUT  YOU ARE ALL WRONG ,,,, IT IS  IN FACT   EARLYMEDIEVAL ,,,, IT  WAS  SCREWED  INTO THE  WALL OF  THE   HUT    AND   ALL  THE  WIRES   FOR   THEIR   COMPUTER   WERE  DROOPED  OVER THE  HOOK  END ,,,, TO KEEP  IT  LOOKING  TIDY ,,,,    COME  ON    ITS   SOOOOOOO  EASY    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

NOOOO  IT  WAS   JUST  SOOOOOOOO   OBVIOUS    Wink Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

Still say your wrong Millsy and I can prove it - I just need to find the Searcher/Treasure magazine with the article in! Now to start wading through several hundred copies! This may take some time!

Victorian carpet rod holder all the way!

Oh and Millsy - your wrong! Grin Grin Grin

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »

alan is write in one way alan you will not find one of those in you book they are to old for your dates of your books they are stair rod holders but they are 19th cen vicky for sure found loads of them stick to your guns neil  Wink sorry alan mate you are wrong  Kiss                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ps by the way hope your feeling better mate regards (phil)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:30:21 PM by coleggwent(phil) » Logged

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »

sorry allan im saying nout  Tongue by the way im not a newport boy im from pontypool  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal