Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Poll
Question: Do you declare everything you find?
I declare everything I find to my FLO. - 3 (27.3%)
I am selective with what I report. - 2 (18.2%)
I declared once, had a bad experience and never will again! - 0 (0%)
Never found anything to declare, but I would. - 3 (27.3%)
Never found anything to declare and if I did I wouldn't. - 0 (0%)
Depends on how important the item was. - 1 (9.1%)
Everything, except several silver coins in the same location. - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To declare or not to declare - that is the question!  (Read 3696 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 15, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »

To create debate and out of curiosity. Its anonymous to vote. DetectingWales.com encourages all members to report finds to their FLO as required.

There seems to be a mix of feelings on this one. We are all encouraged to report anything declareable, but I have heard so many horror stories from disgruntled detectorists that I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

The only reportable find I have had is slowly winding its way towards London. So I am in the "Report it camp". 

When you consider that I am sure that most of have found two or more silver coins over 300 years old, in close proximity, in the same field, then by law, its reportable. Not sure if I have always reported that! Will have to check my records. Lips sealed

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »

hmm In Close proximaty they say yes,,  but in reality its within a 100 yards in the same field these days Neil,
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:51:53 PM by Jolly Ole Santa Clause » Logged

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »

Never knew that Santa - still applies though as we all hit the odd hot spots if we are lucky.

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »

not many people do untill they go in with their stuff Neil

altinkum

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »

i handed a small hoard of john penny's in about a year and half ago but due to a dispute with the land owner their still in the flo's draw. i've disclaimed my share now so would i hand a hoard in again NO

explorers, my arse
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

I assume, Neil, that you're just referring to items that may be Treasure, where there is a law to follow.

The Treasure Act Code of Practice is a good read, find it here:

http://www.finds.org.uk/documents/treasure_act.pdf

I have reported the three items I have found that qualified as Treasure. These were:
1. A gold posy ring from Wales that went through the whole process and reached a satisfactory conclusion - including a successful appeal when the initial valuation was too low.
2. A silver Tudor toothpick handle from England, which was disclaimed and returned to me - the value is minimal.
3. A fragment of a silver Tudor dress-hook from Wales, which has been declared Treasure, but I'm not certain if it has gone to the Treasure Valuation Committee yet. The value of this is probably going to be minimal also, as a partefact of little commercial worth.

I have not had any problems with the process, and although in theory it is possible two coins found in one field may need to be submitted by your FLO as possible Treasure, take note of paragraph 15 of the Code of Practice:

15. So far as concerns finds consisting exclusively of coins, again any decision
will be for the coroner, but only the following three categories will usually
be considered treasure: (a) hoards, which have been deliberately hidden; (b)
groups such as the contents of purses, which may have been dropped or
lost and (c) votive or ritual deposits. In the case of votive deposits, the
‘same place’ (see paragraph 14) may include deposition in a well or sacred
spring or within a temple precinct, or within a similar location judged to be
of ritual purpose. (All groups of fewer than ten base metal coins found on
their own are excluded.) Assemblages of coins that may reasonably be
interpreted as individual losses accumulated over a period of time and that
were in all probability never deposited in physical association (for example
those found on settlement sites or on fair sites) should not normally be
considered treasure. Most hoards and purses are not associated with
settlement or fair sites, although they may be.

Also, don't forget that the FLO has no right whatsoever to take anything from you. Your legal obligation is to report your find to the Coroner within 14 days from when you were aware that it was potential Treasure. This may be from the day you find it, but it might only be from when you showed it to the FLO or another expert. Also, this does not mean that you have to give it up to the museum within 14 days. This is from Paragraph 43 of the Code of Practice, for example:

It is recognised that some finders may wish to show their finds at metal detecting clubs which may meet monthly and this will still be possible, with the agreement of all
concerned, as long as the reporting requirements have been met.

The time when the find is still in your possession should also give you a chance to get it photographed and independently valued if it is of significant value.

Lastly, it does seem to me that NMGW is much more interested in acquiring items than are English museums once they are declared Treasure, and very few finds that properly qualify as Treasure get disclaimed in Wales.
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:14:35 AM »

We are all encouraged to report anything declarable,
 This to me is a VERY grey area to many people .
 You see the common statement that`s bandied around the detecting world is just that sentence above. But!! what EXACTLY is the Defined "anything declarable" NO ONE states the defined answer clear enough in my view .
 Ask lots of detectorists what they deem as "they should" and needing to report, and i bet you`ll get lots of different theories.
 You see ,most talk by Arkies and FLO`s and such people do have a habit of expressing "you must declare and record your finds"
BUT!! You take a couple of George the third Grots or a couple of musket balls to an FLO, OR the local museum, and ask them can you record them ,and watch their faces drop with the ..........." Oh $hit , i don`t want to be wasting my time messing about with this tripe" look.
 I record my ,what i deem "recordable" finds with " UKDFD ", http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ Its the easiest and best way to record your finds ,in my opinion! And do research as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:37:42 PM by Jeb » Logged

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »

I take all my finds that i think they may want to record to be recorded,
i can't help but get the feeling though its all helping us to hang ourselves in years to come.
 not by the museums but by the arkis and the pressure they will put on the govenment to stop us pinching their goodies,
santa

simon c

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »

Any items of Treasure i have found i have reported,as for non-treasure finds 300 years old, in reallity you need the land owners permission before you can record them,where they have agreed i have recorded,but after waiting 12mths for finds to be re-turned, i'm not so keen anymore,the recording process could be a lot better than it is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal