Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Provisional Treasure Valuation - Opinions please?  (Read 16971 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »

Thanks again for the replies.

Malcolm - I like your train of thought! I may follow that route for round 2!

Luckily I work alongside a Solicitor who has assisted in drafting a letter with me asking for the ring to be completely reappraised on the basis that the first appraisal is flawed. Some of the issues we touch upon are the following:

Their stated comparisons and appraisal prices are non comparable.
Their price guides are dated by 10 years and inaccurate in description.
The ring is complete,wareable, saleable and of male size.
The market in Medieval (late) jewellery has dramatically increased in the past 10 years.
There is no known comparison found in Wales or the UK.
No rings of this type have to date been declared by detectorists.

I will keep you all updated on their response.

I think its healthy for members to read about the whole Treasure Process and their actual valuations as hopefully it is a process we all have to experience at some point.

Over and out for now
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

Excellent points Neil, If that doesn't raise the valuation I don't know what will. Smiley Smiley

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Hi there neil i think its a poor sum to offer had a few case,s with them myself not happy at all with them got one going on now i found a henry groat made in to a brooch found in cowbridge last year it is the first one to be found in wales only two found in uk other one found in cork in ireland that was a penny they put a price on it at £40 whats going on  Huh they are crooks sometimes i think it dont pay to be honest  Tongue  Angry so get it checked out mate now you still got time we work dam hard for them finds Smiley

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »

Update - I have just received a second offer from the British Museum.

They bore in mind all the comments in the letter I sent and agreed that it was initially undervalued. They have now increased their offer to £250. I don't think its going to get much better than this from reading their letter, as they refuse to match my valuation.

What do you think? Accept it and put the process down to experience or keep battling on in the hope that it increases?

I would rather bascially have the ring back, but that is never going to happen!

Opinions please.

Neil

P.S. On the plus side mum has done another house clearance over the past few days and the money would buy me at cost price a lovely mans ring. 18ct gold and platinum with a three quarter carat diamond  as a keepsake for finding the medieval one. Weighing in at 11.2grams. American hallmarked to the early 1950's
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:41:24 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »

No sorry Millsy I don't get it back, as its been declared Treasure and thats the end of my ownership rights as the Museum of Wales have repeatedly said they want to purchase it from day one. And I quote from Mark Redknap "We have nothing comparable in our collection."

I have never sold any items I have found to date - I don't dp it for the money, but I want a fair price for the farmer and I.  Never say never though, if needs must I would sell my entire collection if hard times meant I had to.

Cheers for the reply. See you on Saturday mate.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

detectordave

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »

I would cut your losses and run put it down to experience.Next time bear in mind once bitten twice shy.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 06:28:52 PM »

thats a bit better neil well done for sticking to your guns mate do what you think is right but not a lot you can do  Undecided once bitten  Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 06:32:04 PM »

I agree, that's probably about the best you can hope for Neil. At least it shows that you can make a difference by challenging the first valuation.
earth24

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 06:34:20 PM »

i have found this post very interesting. not having found anything of real value as yet, I would have expected a fair valuation of any article of historical interest.  not so it appears. if I ever do I will certainly get some accurate valuation before declaring the fine. is it possible that with such a low valuation they cannot provide a duplicate for you or the land owner to keep maybe.
trys
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »

I would cut your losses and run put it down to experience.Next time bear in mind once bitten twice shy.

Can't agree more! Wink
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

Cheers Dave and Phil and Peter, trys and Earth24 - I'll probably accept it and as you say put it down to experience and a bit of naivety on my behalf. Twice shy mate Wink

No offer of a duplication, but I will mention it in my reply - good idea.

And to think they accuse us of being crooks!  Sad They reap as they sow!

Neil
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:39:46 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »

Last chance ... A landowner has more clout that a person with a hobby.

I would send a letter stating that you have consulted the landowner , who as they are fully aware is entitled to 50% of the money received.

Say the landowner is disgusted that such a LOW evaluation has been put on it and that he has stated that he will never allow you to mention his name or the farm name ever again because of their pathetic evaluation.

You can also say that he has also withdrawn his permission to allow you to bring "archies" onto his land if you found something of importance because of their lack of understanding of the real world where people like him are prepared to sacrifice land and crops for an unspecified time for the sake of history.

Also say he will be advising other farmers to do the same which is a real shame because land which could have been available for archies will now be lost forever.

Say the landowner has said if his HALF comes to £200 then you can bring in the archies again with his permission should the accasion arise but as it stands at present that concession is withdrawn.

Worth a try because the landowner carries more clout than person's hobby and I bet they up their offer... normally the third offer is the final offer...

Go for it with nothing to lose but everything to gain..

Every Day is a Lovely Day
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »

Just to update this thread - we have settled on £250 - a lesson learnt there ladies and gents.

As I stated at the start of this post I would have quite happily settled for having the ring back, but that was a non starter once the Museum of Wales showed its obvious interest in aquiring it.

Oh well, I will just have to put it down to experience, although I must admit I fully enjoyed the probate hearing. I recommend attending to anyone who goes through the process.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »

Well finally today after one year and six months and two revaluations I have received notification that the amount of £125 has been paid into my account and the same amount to the landowners by the British Museum.

You got to ask yourself is it worth the hassle and numerous phone calls I have had to make? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the probate process, but its beyond me how we are expected to declare any "Treasure" within 14 days and yet it takes 18 months to reach a conclusion.

In retrospect and after speaking to other "Treasure Declarers", I have got off lightly as I know of two DW members on here who have gone into the 3 year wait area. Also another two who have never had a conclusion and on enquirey have been told the items they declared can not be found! I wonder whos collection they now reside in? Roll Eyes Draw your own conclusions on that.

Neil

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:34:28 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »

Its still a lovley find mate Grin.....dont agree with the process tho Huh

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal