Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Provisional Treasure Valuation - Opinions please?  (Read 17177 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »

Morning all

Yesterday I received a provisional treasure valuation from our friends at the British Museum. Some of you may remember I found a ring last August in the Vale of Glamorgan and its taken until now for the financial offer to come through.
What is your opinions on the valuation offered?

The description they sent me is as follows:
The decorative form and shape of the ring indicates that it probably dates to the period 1500-1550. The band width is 4.7mm, diameter is 19mm, weight 4.6g,  Similar examples with zig-zag rather than parallel diagonal banding have been found in Buckinghamshire and onboard the Mary Rose, lost in the solent in 1545. A silver ring with the same design, though with rubies set in the diagonal bands was found at York Minster in 1829 (also attributed to 16th C).

Analysis using a CamScan MaXim 2040 analytical electron microscope and an energy dispersive X-Ray spectometer has ascertained that the ring is composed predominatly of silver (94-96%) with some debasement having small amounts of copper (3-5%)

The National Museum of Wales is interested in acquiring this item.

Now you all know I am not into detecting for the money, but I expect a fair reward for declaring the item.

They have offered £150 - £200. The basis for their valuation is Nigel Mills Artefacts book p52. I have the book and it was published in 1999. Their offer valuation reference is Christies Antique Jewellery Catalogue for 2005.

What do you think fair or not? I have until 12th August to contest it.

Thanks for reading
Neil
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:10:03 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »

NIEL    NOT  BEING FUNNY  BUD   BUT I THINK I WOULD TELL  THEM  TO CRAM IT  UP THEIR ,,,,,,, WELL YA KNOW THE REST ,,,,,,,   A BEAUTIFUL SILVER RING  OF THAT AGE   AND IN THAT CONDITION ,,,,    YEAA   RIGHT     A FRIGGIN  NEW ONE   NOT  HALF  AS NICE   WOULD PROB COST MORE THAN THEYRE OFFERING ,,,,, MY  OPINION BUD  ,,,,,,     TELL THEM  TO SHOVE IT   AND  STOP   INSULTING YOU    Angry Angry Angry Angry

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »

Here,here,i agree with Digga,the ring is a beaut & in excellent condition,if i owned the ring i would not sell it.
They sound like a bunch of `Dick Turpins` to me !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:11:12 PM by Stig » Logged

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »

Personally Neil I agree with Digga.That is a right slap in the face.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »

I agree with you all lads - its really taking the piddle in my eyes and does not encourage one to declare finds, ahem Roll Eyes

Stig - I don't want to sell it to them, I would much rather keep it, but I have no choice under the Treasure Act to eventually accept an offer - I am in the process of drafting a letter at the moment.

I have always had a figure in my head for what I think its worth and its not outlandish, just a fair price, which I personally don't think £150-£200 is.

Has anyone else disputed Treasure Valuations and had a success story? I would be really interested to hear if you have.

A not happy
Neil Angry

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »

Neil did you get an independant valuation in the two weeks grace you had ? If  so can you use that as evidence?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »

No unfortunately Rob I never did get an independent valuation. I suppose I should have. Any experiences with this anyone?

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »

Well all my treasure find to date so far , I've had independently valued its worked out like this so far

B = British museum Valuation
i = Independant Valuation
A = Actual Valuation
M= Money gained
N= Number of finds

This in turn work out to

B+i / 2 (N) =M

Therefore my money to date is       0+0 /2 (0) = 0                         Total = £0

I hope that explains everything.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:52:34 PM by Tafflaff(Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »

The experts always suggest that you get an independant value Neil,   at least it would be up to date mate  lol,  that one is 4 years out of date,
Alan

daf.vinci

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »

I am new to detecting,but i definatly agree with digga.Tell them to shove it.
Taking into consideration that the value of precious metals has risen dramatically since 1999 and 2005.(their valuation source)
And the fact that the ring is in such good condition.
I know it is an artefact or treasure/and that you aint in it for the money,but in my opinion,they are tryin to rip you off.

Is it possible to offer the ring to other museums before the deadline,as you have a full description from the museum and photos.
At least this way you could get a more accurate price.
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

I run to get a valuation before anything else. Having said that if you got to keep the ring and tried to sell it later to a dealer or at auction you would find its not worth that much. That is until they sell it on to a private buyer and the price will have rocketed.

There's a few Medieval rings at this dealers at the moment. http://time-lines.co.uk/medieval-rings-for-sale-3687-0.html    A few seem cheap and others rather expensive. Trouble is your up against it now for doing the right thing. If you had spent a week touring some dealers you would be in a much stronger position.

Their weak point is that they have admitted they don't have a true value by quoting a price spread. I would press for more.

the sutt

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

tell them to shove it mate. they done me out of money aswell
dont let them do it to you.
James

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »

hi neil, i recently had a problem with the valuation commitee, after waiting 2 years for my clothes fastener to go through the process i had a valuation which was very poor, they offered me £20 -£30. i actually laughed when i read it!!! then with some help from peter (doc) he got me some of the previous treasure act realeases and i used these as a reference to my finds value. after a few months they re-valued it at £160 which i was happy with but it could have been better due to the fact it was complete and had a makers mark which is scarce on medieval items. but considering the quality of your find, i would try to find similar ones that have gone throught the process and check their valuations & challenge their offer. hope you get its worth neil, cheers james

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
James

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »

heres the fastener im refering to
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:08:14 PM by James » Logged

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »

WHERES THE PIC JAMES  Huh Huh

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal