Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well I Never?  (Read 4383 times)
Charles cater - Wrexham
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »

Well I never
In 1996 I had been in need of new detecting clothing. The ones I had were vilified by my wife as what a tramp would wear and if I don't smarten up I have to live in the shed at the bottom of the garden.

I must be honest when I say this, the clothes were from the 1970's and a bit old fashioned but they had served me well for many years. A little smaller through shrinkage in out atrocious wet weather, maybe a hole that had been patched up a time or two, but on the whole nothing that would or should put anyone off coming close to me. I would have regular baths and occasional showers in case my colleagues thought it was my personal hygiene and not my clothes.

Well, you know how it is, a field full of cattle and it just happened that the signal was to be under what they did not want themselves. Some were not too bad, being down for a time but still soft beneath that hard surface.
Anyway, I was dragged down to the nearest shop in town that sells over trousers and coats and not forget boots. Now there is a tale to tell. I spotted the shoes, quite high at the back and very well made, just the job for driving the spade into the ground I thought,and the price was right, not too dear , made in China I think.
The laces were of good quality and held the shoes to the feet a treat.

The following day I went to the nearest farm where I new I only had sheep  do deal with, these cattle have the habit of  sneaking up at the back while you are bending down to retrieve that grotty coin and the only inkling you have that they are there is when they lick the back of you head with that rasping tongue.
 The day went well, I arrived without any hassle from cattle, the sheep beat a hasty retreat to clear the field for me.
I set the discrimination to about three to start with. I got about 10 yards into the field from the gate,
I always do this so that I don't pick up trash which inevitably gathers where there is an entrance to the field.

Now here is where the fun starts, I got the first blip and then another and dug down to see what I had located , not a bean, not anything, I went to the second blip, not a bean, not anything.
This continued for quite some time, I got just an idea that the detector was packing up so I went back to the car and went home. My wife was a little perturbed at seeing me come back to her so soon. I took the footware in as I always do when  I get home ready for a clean up, I am not allowed on the new carpet any more with muddy shoes.

Now being a good wife she took them outside and put the hose on them. they came up like new, a little soggy inside but they will dry out she said. When I told her why I was home earlier,that I thought my detector was going on the blink with signals at every step forward she came up with the suggestion that I use rubber boots next time.

I agreed to do this, I always like to please her for letting me go to play with my detector. When I asked her why rubber boots she said "Didn't you read the notice when you bought the shoes", I said that I had not noticed anything other than the price. She said "The notice said that the shoes had metal toecaps"
 Life isn't fair at times, I saved heaps in knowing that my detector was doing the job it was designed for.
Oh well !  Back to the drawing board
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

Nice story Charles!  Grin

I thought you would find this site interesting - welcome on board.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »

lol Charles great Story
I think thats happened to most of us at one time or another
I spent a few hours cutting out buttons and poppers and sewing up the holes in my Camo Jacket, only to find id missed one on the inside ;0( what a waste of a day that was lol
My Father in law and Detecting buddy Des had a bit of trouble recently his wellies where producing a signal only to find when he got home a thumb tack had attached it self to his sole!

When i Joined a Detecting club i said id never wear the Regular Detectorists Unform (cammo)
My wife thinks i look like a terrorist lol
Charles Cater

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »

Thanks Neil, I will make the effort to send articles and finds for members to see.
How about adding the International one on as well eh !!  Grin

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem - I'll ask Geoff to add it. Interesting site you run which I visit daily (as you know)

All the best

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »

Hi Charles Neil
Can the site be added to the links page Only if its Detector related of cause

Regard
Phil Jones (Rare)
Charles Cater - Wrexham
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »

Hi Charles Neil
Can the site be added to the links page Only if its Detector related of cause

Regard
Phil Jones (Rare)

The site in question is an The International  Metal Detecting Group and draws in detectorists from all over the world.
The URL for the site in question is:-

http://members3.boardhost.com/Charles.C/

Thank you
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »

Hi Charles

Thank you very much for the link
I,ll have a good look around later

Regards
Phil Jones

Pages: [1]
  Print