Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient ring ruled treasure trove  (Read 3075 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »

It is believed the ring was lost during a Scandinavian raid 
A silver ring which was probably buried in a south Wales field for almost 1,200 years has been officially declared treasure trove.
Edward Mitchell discovered the piece of jewellery while using his metal detector on farmland near Barry.

It is thought the National Museum and Gallery of Wales is interested in acquiring the ancient ring.

The ring will be valued and as a result of the treasure trove ruling, Mr Mitchell will receive a reward.

Medieval archaeology expert Dr Mark Redknap told a hearing in Cardiff: "The object is a ring with a row of triangles punched on the exterior.

"The form of the stamp is decorative found in jewellery typical of the Scandinavian raids on Britain in the 9th or 10th Centuries.

"The ring is likely to date back to then. "

Brooch

He also confirmed that the National Museum and Gallery of Wales was interested in securing the ring.

Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan coroner Dr Lawrence Addicott declared the ring treasure trove as it was more than 300 years old, contained more than 10% precious metal and the owner could no longer be found.

Another inquest ruled that a silver brooch was treasure trove and will also be given to the National Museum of Wales.

Treasure-seeker Adrian Jones, 38, discovered the medieval brooch in St Bride's Major in the Vale of Glamorgan while out with his metal detector.

The jewellery dates back to the 13th Century.

Mr Jones, of Pyle, near Bridgend, said afterwards: "It was the only thing I found with my metal detector and I handed it to the museum for safe-keeping. I'm very excited."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »

I would be chuffed to bits to find a ring like that!
That's what detecting is all about  Smiley

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »

Yip Only go,s to prove theres still good finds out there.
Ive found this great little book on welsh battle fields. and its amazing whats around you ive got a major Welsh Battle  field just on my door step Just got to find the land owner now  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal