Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pontypool Hammered? Do they exist?  (Read 5199 times)
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »

The oldest coin I've found in Pontypool is a 1799 farthing. Extremely fine and looks like it was minted yesterday. I have seen a Henry 8th half angel that was found in Llantarnam.However, Ive not heard of anyone finding much else in the vicinity. Pontypool Park is a no detecting area and that was the one place you might find something.

Anyone found a hammered in Pontypool?
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

I am sure they do exist up there jon i found a couple of early buckles up there a few years ago in the park  and a lot of georgian material before i was kicked off by an angry park warden who said i was digging up HIS PARK!.The park is full of coins and other relics i had a good couple of hours up there and was finding lots of coppers earliest i found was a william 3rd and a post medievel buckle with a lovely arrow design around the edge not far from the hunting lodge on the top.But like i said i was rudely interupted by that idiot in a land rover who thought he was god and that was that but i would say that i believe there must be hammered up there somewhere mate Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »

Cant you find out off the Council if they will grant you permission to detect?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »

I've asked a councillor to look into it for me. He ain't got back to me yet. Filling out expenses claims I expect. I've heard of people detecting there (Like Ade) and finding stuff but they all get threatened with the police. The Hanbury family had enough cash to lose a bit in the park .Plus all those lovely carnival days with Johnny Weismuller and The Great Blondini attracting HUGE crowds.
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Thats the trouble jon with parkland they never get back to you,ignorrant load of b*****s they are!

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »

I did attend one dig in pontypool park which was run by the gwent detector club
we were allowed down at pontymoile park gates end and could detect up as far as the stadium...but not allowed on any of the "lawn" areas there were loads of viccy silver georgian coppers and one roman bronze came up we detected up the tree filled bank
and around the old fair area loads of pre decimal coppers.

I did find a roman coin myself at the mountain village of Pantygasseg it was an as
of hadrian...found on the surface after a rain storm .

I tried on a later occasion to get permission to detect in the park area officially and it did
progress quite far until they asked the opinion of the county Archeologist who reccomended that permission should not be given in case i disturbed stratified layers!
I had volunteered to donate all decent finds to the then infant museum anyway but sadly
was stymied by this official...Regards Paul Baker. Cool

PS once found a lizzie sixpence on an old drovers route on a mountain top between
Cwmtillery and The Varteg. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »

Cheers Paul. You have given me hope. I was beginning to think Pontypool was unpopulated until 1993  Roll Eyes  And Roman as well ! I think the Hanbury family "antiqued" a drovers route down to the Star pub in Mamhilad and this has now become known as The Roman Road. Nice to know there may have been some real Roman activity.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »

i there guys im from pontypool born on the garn i know of a gold noble found in newinn pontypool and two gold staters found on derbys mountain i found my bronze age hoard just passed newinn in glascoed so dont right it off good luck with that been up the grotto many er time loads off coins tryed to get permisson no go you win some you lose some Tongue

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

I detected Pontypool Park in the late 70's early 80's and no park employees ever told me I shouldn't be there, on the contrary they were interested in what I was finding.

I've had a fair few viccie & georgian coins from the park but nothing older than George II.

When did the Park become out of bounds?   

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

When the gwent tectin club lost the agreement to detect there because the council
hiked up the yearly fees...was a bit short sighted really because the club had all the torfaen parks i myself thought it was value for money...but the members did,nt
....you cannot get permission to detect on any of them now....officially anyway.

I know a lot of peeps who have detected there but usually were asked to leave when
eventually spotted by park officials.

I know that when i asked for official permission and offered to donate all finds to
the park trust/and museum for display purposes it reached a a third meeting before the
then county archologist vetoed it because i " might have damaged stratified layers".

Thats my understanding of current state of affairs anyway.

Regards PaulB. Cool

Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »

Thanks for the update Paul. Smiley

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »

They haven't got back to me even. I have asked if there is a specific bye law or who would deal with the subject. No response.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about your lack of response m8t thats just pure ignorance
Makes my blood boil....Even if its no they could and should respond to you...

altinkum

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

just go on there and if someone ask's you to leave ask them to produce a letter where it say's no detecting allowed if they cant tell them to ***k **F

explorers, my arse

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal