Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geoff?Beach Detecting Rally?  (Read 12533 times)
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »

There's two big problems, even if you have a detector that does work well on the damp and wet sand, and thats the wind/tide and if the weather is good, your buried in people.

Pendine this week had feet of sand on it. Little at the top, less down on the wet and the wind/tide combination had dumped hundreds of balls of iron clag up from beyond the low tide mark. I gave up and moved to Llanstephan.
Feet of sand there as well. The drainage pipe that normally sticks up a few feet out of the sand had almost disappeared.

Port Eynon as was mentioned on here the other day stripped the other year and provided great detecting for a short period then never seemed to get replenished.
Llangennith (of the silver dollar fame) has a ton of rubbish and ferrous at the top and feet of sand down toward the low tide mark for much of the year. I work on the basis that eight or nine out of ten trips there will be a waste of time.

For a beach Rally you really need to be off season and select the day with care as regards tides. The extra low tides at different times of year really help. A spring tide provides the most powerful currents and you have the highest high tide (to hopefully cut into the top of the beach) and the lowest low tide (so you get on to ground that hasn't been done to death and where items from further out have been brought in).

Best beach period is that of the equinoctial spring tide which only happens twice a year around 21st of March and 23rd of September.

Mick of Leisure Promotions had a weeks Rally on Llangennith to try and find the silver dollars twenty years back. Must have been a hundred people there with every type of detector going including pulse with huge coils and the finds were one hammered silver and three rings.

One place to consider would be Benllech/Red Wharf Bay area of Anglesey. Its got plenty of camp sites. A large hoard of hammered silver has been recovered over a few years, there's less used areas of golden sand that never get busy and when the crowds move off Benllech at the end of the day there should be a reasonable amount of modern coins plus a few rings.
hedgehog
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »

That's some good advice there Brian and that's a nice haul of the shiny stuff, is that just two months finds?
U.K. Brian

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »

Two months mainly South Wales beaches + North Devon. Picture below is another group from over the winter but including the dreaded silver. I average about a hundred a year but its nothing clever, I can go out every day if I want to and hit the beaches as they strip. If your stuck with a few hours at the weekend often the sands back and to much is out of reach.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »

Well impressed. Looks like a window display from a jewellers! How many fishing weights do you find in that time? And what is your oldest beach coin?
U.K. Brian

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »

At least ten fishing weights to a ring if including all rings ie silver and junk.

I've quite a few beach found hammered from the U.K. plus Spanish from the Treasure Fleets from the U.S.
I've had Roman bronze coins off Welsh beaches but the condition is. Well think as bad as you can and double it !

Piture below is U.S. beach coins with a silver "piece of one" top middle and brass coin weight bottom centre.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:35:08 AM by U.K. Brian » Logged
StumbledUpon

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »

Fantastic Brian!  Smiley Cool
daf.vinci

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »

I would be well up for a meet down swansea beach anyday of the week.It would be good to meet some of you guys and pick your brains about detecting.

If anybody fancies it then write your names in this post and we will all be a step closer to arranging a meet? Grin
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

Hi Dave............. (Hi all ref beach detecting Crown Estate thought you may like to read this helpful mail from Trevor Austin.NCMD.some of you are  probably aware of this but for those who are not worth a read.

I noticed your entry on the Detecting Wales forum concerning the Crown Estate beach permit.

just to put you in the picture, there is no fee for the permit although the website does say that there is.
This results from meetings the NCMD had with Crown Estate, where we negotiated the removal of the fee, plus changes to the terms and conditions.
See the updates on the NCMD website. http://www.ncmd.co.uk/docs/update2.pdf
If you contact Iain Mills he will supply a permit for the beaches you wish to detect free of charge.

hope this helps.

Regards
Trevor

Trevor Austin
NCMD General Secretary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4249 (20090716) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com
DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

I contacted the Crown when I 1st stared detecting back in March in regards of permission to detect beaches, and as most of the info given already is correct, Iain Mills will suply your permit via e-mail, he will also suply a map showing all the beaches which are Crown controlled.
But Iain Mills also stipulated that you should keep in regular contact with the Crown Estates should any changes take place that would affect detecting on the beaches.....

Nil illegitimi Carborundum
altinkum

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »

dont tell crown estates or anyone else anything it only put's idea's into their heads. when they charge people for sunbathing or kids digging holes in the sand then and only then will i think about paying to beach detect. how anyone can own a beach is beyond my thinking it's about time the public told these faceless wonders to chuff off

explorers, my arse
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »

yer  Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home