Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New car question?  (Read 2941 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 27, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »

I have been looking for a new car for about two months now - I currently drive a Volvo V40 with the custom spec.Tonight I have just test driven a Land Rover Freelander TD4 on a 2004 plate. I was looking at the petrol model, but I know there is a history with the head gasket going in the petrol models which has turned me off a bit to say the least! So much so that Land Rover Cardiff (Stratstone) will not give a warranty for the head gasket on any used Freelander that is petrol! They did a recall in 2005 and extended waranties, but this is no longer valid.

Does any have an opinion on the TD4? Anyone own one or read good/bad reviews? What do you think of diesel cars - I've owned a total of 11 petrol cars in the past, but never a diesel.

Thanks for any help

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

I would steer clear of the freelander, as a landy nut and owner , The freelander is a poor relation to the LR model range. Resale prices are bad and if I remember rightly are only 2WD. Landy diesels are usually very robust but a bit slow. I have run several non turbo engines and find them to be reliable.
As ever when choosing a new/replacment car, think what your main use will be, and where you will drive it most (city / rural / long / short distance etc.)
To try and answer your question on diesel cars, personally I love em, good MPG and cheaper insurance on some models. Servicing nowadays is not much different than petrols, considering some new VW's require pluging into a computer just to check the gearbox oil level !!!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Thanks Radnor Bandit.

It is a pemanent 4 wheel drive,five door modle which includes the parking sound, CD changer, heated leathers, all electrics, etc  and I probably only do 8,000 miles a year. I only want to spend about 5.5K with mine on top in part exchange so the Land Rover's you refer to are probably out of my range for low milage or newish plate.

I go off road a bit through mountain walking and Md'ing, and also when I'm reversing down a hill is bad (John Pugh!!!  Shocked)

Do you know anything about the TD4 regarding reliability, etc

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it as I can not decide what to get. My MOT is up, so I have to sort it sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

I just bought a "new to me" car & I love it to bits.
It's a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin 3 door & I took it out yesterday to try & get stuck!
Brilliant, it handled lovely & I couldn't believe the stuff it coped with.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:16:25 PM by BottyBurp » Logged

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

What do you reckon?
You should get something a lot better than this Neil for the amount you are able to spend!
Good Luck, let's see the pictures when you've decided.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

Went for the TD4 in the end Botty and Radnor. Lovely drive - not got it dirty yet!

Should be ideal for what I want it for. Believe me if anyone is car hunting at the moment, there are some bargains to be had. Everyone seems desperate for your business, which allows you to dictate price a bit.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »

Hi Neil

Ive been looking to sell my Hayabusa and get something like a Berlingo for Detecting (the 2nd Mrs Jones is complaining im wrecking the family car lol)
Loads of good offers on big Cars maybe coz of the fuel prices and the changes to the road fund licence  Sad

Regards
Phil
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:40:32 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH » Logged
coenwolf
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

dunno on this one i keep looking at disco's every time i see one for sale ,used to have a disco es and i'm sorry i sold it ,got a nice laguna sports tourer 1.9 tdci at the moment its cheap to run and keep but the lure of the disco is still there  Huh Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal