Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: CAN SUM ONE HELP PLEASE  (Read 7386 times)
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »

We have a mass of finds and wrecks all rolled into one.

The gold moidors are found round in the next bay by the Blue Pool (which is a pain to get to). There's another gold bullion ship further round towards the old iron lighthouse on Whiteford Sands.

In between there's Broughton Bay. A large wreck appeared on here a few years back then disappeared. There was also a small Torc found. The trouble with this site is the underlying clay which stays soft and swallows up coins and rings.

There was one hammered found on the beach twenty years back when Mick Turrell arranged a weeks find the silver dollars hunt. Not much else though small finds of silver pennies that the salt water have eated into do appear after the winter storms churn the beach.

The silver dollars are thought to be further south towards the Worms Head end. They reappear every hundred years or so. Mansel of Henllys was supposed to have made off with the bulk of the coins, but in 1807 the remains of the wreck could be seen again down at the low tide mark. A few locals are said to have recovered twelve pounds of silver coins plus pewter items. Then there was the 1833 gale. Coins were recovered and there was even a coffer dam constructed but this was destroyed overnight and the sand moved back in. I've seen a silver piece of eight that a youngster dug up half way between the white house and the steps but this is unlikely to be associated with the dollars. Also a mangled bit of a pewter plate from under the cliff at the Rhossili and that might be connected.

The modern wreck of rusty iron that can be seen  just to the north of the Diles lake outflow is supposed to be the spot where a northern detectorist would come each winter and recover some silver coins. Well I've being going to the beach each winter regularly and have never seen anyone detecting that area though I've had a few brass gaming tokens.

Its an interesting area and well worth a search but extreme tides seem the key to the old finds. Treat it as a modern finds beach and just hope that something more interesting turns up. There's enother surfers for ring finds the trouble is they tend not to be well brought up and only buy silver rings.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »

nice one brian bud   looks like i will have to fuel up the car  and  get out there  for a days tectin bud       if it ever stops  raining that is    Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »

let me know how it goes when you all go.........  If i know more like this will let you know so you can all go on that one as well.............
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »

hi beefy, a book i read many years ago , gave the surname LUCAS as the finder of silver coins on the beach many years ago. it was said that he took a horse and cart, to the beach filled the cart with coins as there were that many covering the beach and was never heard of again. thats gospel Undecided Undecided Undecided  mick

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »

William Bevan is still remembered as the one who stripped his trousers off and tied the legs together to form a bag to carry his finds off in, so there's been plenty found but lots must remain.

There's lots of more doubtful stories of treasure round the whole of Wales.

Worm's Head Rhossili. John Leland (historian in Henry VIII's time) claimed that there was a cave that few dared enter at the point of the Head in which there is a door studded with great nails.

The Cavern of Ravens in South Glamorgan contains a chest of gold guarded by two ravens.

Then there's the Crown of King Rhys ap Twdwr in the Rhondda valley. In 1087 the ruler of West Wales lost a battle in the Rhondda valley and was never seen again. He was wearing his decorated helmet and also carried the crown with him. The crown was never found but the helmet was found between Tynewydd and Treherbert in a cleft in the rocks high above the road.

Moel Arthur overlooking the Vale of Clwyd has three claims to fame. Boudicca is supposed to be buried on the hill and there's also a great treasure in an iron chest. If you try to lift it out of the ground then a huge storm springs up and drives you away. Its also reputed to have been  the home of a local Prince.

Add the "Golden Calf" stolen from St.Illtyd's, or Captain Kidds treasure, or "The Treasure of the Eagles"....interesting one this as they were guarding a treasure and normal bullets didn't work so they had silver bullets made and got a priest to bless them. They still bounced off the birds so the treasure was never recovered. There's lots of tales but how much is true ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:06:50 AM by U.K. Brian » Logged
melonhead

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »

wether the stories are fact or fiction my imagination is in overdrive in my head im knee deep in gold and silver great stories lads
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »

i found this site, try it re. wrecks around wales.....www.shipwrecks-wales.co.uk........byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:57 AM »

Try This One Byron,  you got your dots too close and they affected it mate
www.shipwrecks-wales.co.uk

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »

thanks alan...i must stop using these dots ..... Grin Grin Wink....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal