Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CAN SUM ONE HELP PLEASE  (Read 7530 times)
Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« on: July 02, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

RHOSSILI BAY, GOWER PENINSULA, SOUTH WALES
THE DOLLAR SHIP
Someone told me a bit about it......  That there was a wonman called Catherine of Braganza was the Portuguese princess who married Charles 11 in 1662. Local tradition in the Gower Peninsula mains that a galleon bearing Catherine of Braganza's dowry to Charles was wrecked in Rhossili Bay.      An immense quantity of spanish coins was briefly uncovered in 1807 by the action of the tide, and again in 1833............................  Thats all i was told.................... Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »

hi Beffy, DIG IT told me a good while back that a few of the portugese coins have been found by detectrists over the years !!!!!! Wink
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »

I'd heared that as well , Gold coins at that. They crop up occasionally in Bluepool along the coast.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »

King Charles II was restored to the English throne in May 1660, and 1661, he signed a marriage treaty to marry Catharine of Braganza (Catarina de Bragança), the Portugese Infanta. The royal bride arrived in Portsmouth on 13 May 1963, and in her dowry (which was considerable) included many treasure ships, a chest of tea, the port of Tangiers (in Morocco) and the port of Bombay (modern Mumbai, in India).

HOWEVER

As gold moidores were only minted from 1690 to 1722 it is unlikely the Catherine of Breganza link in genuine.

She married King Charles II in 1662.
King Charles dies in 1685 before any miodores existed
Catherine died in 1705

There is definitely a bullion carrying ship out there though.
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »

Not coins but still a National treasure !
Tea is the most English of drinks, it is for pleasure, when sick and always the first thing offered in times of tragedy. We have two women to thank for elevating the humble tea leaf from an insipid liquid to our national treasure.

It is Catherine of Braganza, the Portugese wife of King Charles II (1660-85), we have to thank for bringing the teapot to our shores. This simple pot elevated the drink from a mere soaking in hot water for 30 minutes, to a ceremony. 200 years later, Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford would often suffer from pangs of hunger in late to mid-afternoon and with dinner not usually until 8pm or later she took to partaking of a little light refreshment creating that most British custom of Afternoon Tea was born.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »

WOW  INTERESTING  INFO  ALL ,,,,,IVE  GOT  THE  TECTOR  AND THE  DIESEL   NOW  WHERE  WAS  THAT  BEACH  AGAIN   Huh Huh Huh      HAHA Grin Grin    NO  BUT  SOUNDS  INTERESTING  GET  A  DW  RALLY  ON THAT  BEACH   I WILL SIGN UP   NOW    Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »

Here is a pic...I wanna go!
Seriously though, a lot of people are asking about a rally and the fields are not available. How about a DW rally on a beach? Not all beaches have loads of tourists on them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:09:25 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »

thats a great idea !........ Grin....a day at the beach and detecting too!.....i'm up for that !.... Grin....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
detectordave

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:14:53 PM »

As you look at that pic the wreck is to the right i have searched this beach for years and never found a gold coin there but still live in hope.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »

In the early nineteenth centuary after a fierce storm the wreck of the dollar ship was exposed the local squire and some of his men managed to fill a cart with silver dollars Shocked since then it as remained buried beneath the sands approximately in line with diles lake a fresh water stream that runs into the seamidway between the start of rhosilli and the worms head around the corner from the wormshead lies the bluepool here in the early nineteenth centuary whilst collecting shellfish a man noticed something glinting amongst the rocks in the morning sunlight he had found a portugese gold moidore coin so there must be a couple of treasure ships lying offshore waiting to be discovered Grin Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »

yea mole i;ve been told its not the main beach but the area to the left of worms headas you go down the steps
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »

Surely with modern technology and the approximate known location of the wrecks these ships would have been found long ago?   

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
daf.vinci

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »

I found this link if anyone is interested.

http://www.ggat.org.uk/cadw/historic_landscape/gower/english/Gower_008.htm

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »

id like to have a crack at that beech and find one of them coins Shocked

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
daf.vinci

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »

The minute i get my permit for beach detecting,i am going down there.Cant wait. Wink Wink Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal