Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swansea Beach Frustration  (Read 8231 times)
Venger
Rally attendee

« on: December 19, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »

Since I can't play football on the weekend due to COVID, I've been going down Swansea beach to see if I can find anything worth finding. I've been down about 5 or 6 times now but the best things I've found are a 1p piece and a fishing weight (lead with long metal spikes coming out of it). I tend to find a hell of a lot of nails down there and hardly anything else, apart from the occasional bottle top or can.

I've tried detecting in the dry sand and the wet and it doesn't seem to make any difference (I have a CS4PI so it's fine on the wet stuff). I've tried going out as far as the muddy bits, although I'm not terribly keen on going that far out as it's messy and I'm a bit dubious about getting into trouble in the "sinky" bits.

Can anyone give me any pointers on what I should be doing differently? I've watched videos, read books, tried looking for cuts, etc. but nothing seems to work for me. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 01:32:05 AM »

A couple of people on this forum did post a number of videos on what they found - they seemed to have a pretty good time of it - although it was hard to see exactly where they were.

A friend of mine from work said he'd seen about 8 detectorists in the same patch - I think he said sort of halfway between Swansea and the Mumbles -so I assume that is a good area.

Never detected there myself - but to be fair - I haven't had much luck beach detecting myself - did manage 1 1/2d at Ogmore (in the pebbles) last time I was there (with kids and missus and kids friends in tow at high tide....)
Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »

Hi Venger. Swansea can be very frustrating, and I have only found coins and things of interest when a lot of sand has moved and the black stuff has been exposed.
One problem you have got is that the Pulse Induction detector does not have very good discrimination so you have to dig everything, hence all the nails,
I also found you need a good scoop to get down deep and quick as the wet sand fills quickly.
Probono is correct there was a contributor who did a lot down there, he went under the name ‘MIKE’, use the search facility to find his posts, think it was about January 2018, I think from what I could make out he was in the Blackpill area quite far out, he also did a series of videos, the links are in his posts.
There was also a member of Swansea club that found a lot of coins including pieces of 8 on the beach, but he lives nearby and spends many many hours on the beach, another Detectorist I know has a large collection of gold rings, but they were from many years ago, and as countless detectorists visit this beach the easy pickings have gone.
Don’t give up there is a lot of history under that beach, and good luck.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »

At least you are getting out m8 and getting plenty of fresh air and the opportunity to mull over your regular beach layout. Swinging the CS4Pi, I would have expected you to have dug a lot more than you write of. What historical research have you done for the area?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »

Hi Venger,

The vast expanse of Swansea beach can be quite daunting at first, but don't let that put you off.
As you may know, Swansea has a rich and interesting history dating through Medieval, Roman, Bronze age and beyond.
I kid you not, persevere and you will be rewarded for your efforts. If you are interested in older finds, wait for a good run of Spring tides then get out as far as you can taking care as you go.

My earliest Swansea beach find was probably a Bronze age dagger, but believe over the years three others have been found in roughly the same area. Amongst other interesting potential finds, you are also sure to find fragments of early cast iron fused exploding Cannonballs along with the contents which could be mistaken for large musket balls scattered just about everywhere.

Your PI will give you plenty of depth but early finds are often surprisingly close to the surface. Life is full of surprises, so my advice is to dig nearly everything.
Don't get disheartened.
Good luck,
Jeff  Wink 

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »

Here's a question - under the current restrictions - do you reckon (from Cardiff) that Barry would be okay to detect on?

And - has any seen if the storm yesterday has shifted any sand?

I've got myself a sandscoop, 15" coil for the old Nox, but am finding it increasingly difficult to stir my stumps re: detecting - the place I have permission for locally is (almost) empty after 12 years of detecting it - the farmer doesn't plough much any more, and most is pasture - last time I was there I managed a tiny splash of lead......so I need to try something when I might at least find something.......  Smiley

Mind you the weather hasn't helped!
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »

A couple of people on this forum did post a number of videos on what they found - they seemed to have a pretty good time of it - although it was hard to see exactly where they were.

A friend of mine from work said he'd seen about 8 detectorists in the same patch - I think he said sort of halfway between Swansea and the Mumbles -so I assume that is a good area.

Never detected there myself - but to be fair - I haven't had much luck beach detecting myself - did manage 1 1/2d at Ogmore (in the pebbles) last time I was there (with kids and missus and kids friends in tow at high tide....)

Yeah, I've seen a few videos on YouTube but it's a bit hard to tell exactly where they've been done. I think the ones I saw were between Swansea and Mumbles and were quite far out in the muddy bits. Not being hugely familiar with the beach, I'm a bit dubious about going far out in the muddy bits, just in case I get into a bit of bother.
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »

Hi Venger. Swansea can be very frustrating, and I have only found coins and things of interest when a lot of sand has moved and the black stuff has been exposed.
One problem you have got is that the Pulse Induction detector does not have very good discrimination so you have to dig everything, hence all the nails,
I also found you need a good scoop to get down deep and quick as the wet sand fills quickly.
Probono is correct there was a contributor who did a lot down there, he went under the name ‘MIKE’, use the search facility to find his posts, think it was about January 2018, I think from what I could make out he was in the Blackpill area quite far out, he also did a series of videos, the links are in his posts.
There was also a member of Swansea club that found a lot of coins including pieces of 8 on the beach, but he lives nearby and spends many many hours on the beach, another Detectorist I know has a large collection of gold rings, but they were from many years ago, and as countless detectorists visit this beach the easy pickings have gone.
Don’t give up there is a lot of history under that beach, and good luck.

I've seen a few videos and they seem to be done quite far out where it can get pretty boggy. I'm not hugely confident when going that far out as I'm a bit wary of getting into trouble in the mud. I went out again today and bagged my first pound coin and about 20 bottle tops and some wire. Chuffed with the pound coin, and it was a new one too so no need to change it in the bank  Cheesy.
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 07:30:18 PM »

At least you are getting out m8 and getting plenty of fresh air and the opportunity to mull over your regular beach layout. Swinging the CS4Pi, I would have expected you to have dug a lot more than you write of. What historical research have you done for the area?

To be honest, I haven't done any historical research; I was just going to the bits that are frequented by people in the summer for recent finds. I'm aware that a lot of the older stuff will be out in the muddy bits but I'm not that confident that far out in case I get into a spot of bother in the boggy bits. I did find a new pound coin today though which, although nothing to write home about, made my day after all the rubbish I've been digging  Cheesy.
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »

Hi Venger,

The vast expanse of Swansea beach can be quite daunting at first, but don't let that put you off.
As you may know, Swansea has a rich and interesting history dating through Medieval, Roman, Bronze age and beyond.
I kid you not, persevere and you will be rewarded for your efforts. If you are interested in older finds, wait for a good run of Spring tides then get out as far as you can taking care as you go.

My earliest Swansea beach find was probably a Bronze age dagger, but believe over the years three others have been found in roughly the same area. Amongst other interesting potential finds, you are also sure to find fragments of early cast iron fused exploding Cannonballs along with the contents which could be mistaken for large musket balls scattered just about everywhere.

Your PI will give you plenty of depth but early finds are often surprisingly close to the surface. Life is full of surprises, so my advice is to dig nearly everything.
Don't get disheartened.
Good luck,
Jeff  Wink 

Jeff, that's a great find. I think I'll have to get my confidence up a bit to go further out. At the moment I'm just going along the main bit by the steps which is where people tend to congregate during the summer. Other detectorists have probably picked that bit clean way before I got there though.

As for depth, there have been quite a few times where I've given up digging as the target is so far down. I think half of these have been big pieces of iron though as the tone has been really strong after I dig about 18 inches down and I've also hit solid bits that I can't get past.

I will keep going though as I enjoy the fresh air. I did find my first pound coin today (along with 20 bottle caps, some wire and some more nails), so I'm a bit happier  Smiley
Greg

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »

Here's a question - under the current restrictions - do you reckon (from Cardiff) that Barry would be okay to detect on?

And - has any seen if the storm yesterday has shifted any sand?

I've got myself a sandscoop, 15" coil for the old Nox, but am finding it increasingly difficult to stir my stumps re: detecting - the place I have permission for locally is (almost) empty after 12 years of detecting it - the farmer doesn't plough much any more, and most is pasture - last time I was there I managed a tiny splash of lead......so I need to try something when I might at least find something.......  Smiley

Mind you the weather hasn't helped!

The advice is to stay at home, detecting is considered good exercise but even so the advice is stay local, if you consider Cardiff/ Barry local, go for it.
The biggest problem I find is those who do not understand the recommendations, to call them idiots would be unkind, but some of the things they do are careless.
You will be detecting on the beach and “they” will approach you to enquire about your finds/hobby, they have no idea what 2 metres means so unless you hold them off with your detector, you are at risk.
I also think there is something very different about the new variant, whether it persists longer, requires a much smaller dose, travels greater distances through the air, the answers will come soon I am sure, but for now personally I will hold off detecting until after the jab.

P.s. there is a whitmore bay web cam to look at the beach condition.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »

Hi Greg

It's sort of the closest reasonable beach - and I'd just like to get better at beach detecting / be somewhere where I might find something.

I've been to my closest park a few times - but in twelve years there (off and on) I've only found two silvers....one of which was french. Did get a (I think run over by a train) 50 Euro cents (Austrian) and a quarter - unusually I wasn't bothered by anyone for once - usually I get some person shouting at me or people following me round as I find pennies.

I did look for the web cam, but it seems to be offline at the moment.....
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 11:17:35 PM »

check out miks vids on you tube,will blow your mind.swansea bay treasure

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal