Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: freedom  (Read 15092 times)
carling2

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »

Yep bang on Greg but soon the law for Wales will change again so it'll all come good and just a few weeks before crop time which is a bonus,, imagine being total lock down from June till xmas😱😱😁
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

Nice to see that some folk are getting out to swing the coil and are also uncovering some interesting finds. The long lockdown has somewhat dented and jaded my detecting enthusiasm and the thought of an anticipated second virus wave is doing nothing rekindle my appetite.

I do have two new permissions and an invitation to search a paddock for some lost earrings come October. I have also come across an old map that shows the northern end of Offas Dyke being in a place different than the presently accepted area.

Well done anyone who gets out and brings home the goodies.

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting

Chris  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »

Hi Chris. Glad you’re still around  Grin

If you read some of the previous replies on this post you’ll see you’re not the only one who loosing the will. I’m one. As I said it’s been like going to drug re-has and it’s working.
I gave my Detecting spade an airing this afternoon - in the garden. One corner, where we had an enormous giant Bamboo. We cut it all down 3 years ago (or was it 4 ?) and just left it to rot. I think it’s going to take longer than I’ve got  Roll Eyes so have decided to plant some shrubs around where it was and hope they grow and cover the corner without us even trying to dig out the cane roots.
I was pleased to note that my spade still knows what to do. First one in, well fed and watered, fingers crossed.
Take care, stay safe,

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 09:21:23 PM »

Hi Val,

there is a product called 'RootOut' that works wonders on tree stumps, I used the stuff on a half a dozen big Lombardy Poplar stumps a few years back; rots the wood and gets way down into the roots. It probably took a bit longer than it will for a few old bamboo stumps!

I had read all the posts in the thread and was surprised that I  wasn't the only one going through withdrawal symptoms.  Grin

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:46:53 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
carling2

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »

Metal detecting I think is 1 hobby you can do for a lifetime and struggle to find enough to fill a small tupperware box with decent finds😁 so we have a situation where detecting as took a back seat and people are doing other stuff and suddenly finding 2 buttons after walking around 3 hours doesn't seem that productive,, withdrawal symptoms?? I just think people are finding out that detecting is not a nessecity and is no way near productive as 20 years ago and in fact it's bloody time consuming hard work and maybe just maybe a spot of gardening or painting etc is far more productive 🤔😁and I think this virus as done what the Archis have been trying to do for years,, get loads of us off the fields,,
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:17:05 AM by carling2 » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »

I agree with you Carling Smiley - but it still amazes me what does get found - and I have to admit to have been lucky more than once.

I did go out last week for the first time, but then didn't this weekend (long story).

Not sure if I would like to have a site that had a lot of reasonable signals, or a site with few signals but some good stuff Smiley I know that I don't like sites that are covered in foil / alu, or sites where there aren't even rubbish signals.....

I get quite despondent when I've walked around for a few hours and all I have are a few blank buttons.....
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »

Oh, isn't it a real bummer when those blank buttons have produced a bloomin coin ball but any coin lifts your spirits after a few hours of nowt?

If you hit the treasure motherload and reaped all it's rewards, would you then continue detecting; or would detecting after that be mediocre? 

carling2

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 09:08:53 PM »

I like a site with many historical signals and also a site that as very little signals, what I don't like is fields full of junk.. If ( and I have)  find or found the mother load I find a lot of things pail in comparison ( I had 1 farm when I 1st started detecting produced over 300 hammereds, 30 dinari, 5 gold coins 2 bronze age axe heads over a 10 year period,, everywhere else since then as been a day out 😁, with the odd surprise.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 08:02:13 AM »

As any detectorist that does the North Wales beaches knows, Talacre sands are full of WWII scrap and perhaps the occasional goodie, or bit of bling. Having detected Talacre for a number of years now, both alone and with a buddy, I have found that all company has now fallen by the wayside and most detecting sessions there are conducted alone; except, that is, for the occasional enquiring member of the public or one of the many loose dogs that also want to say hello and share in the dig.

There are, of course, small areas of Talacre where the detector falls silent and I get to wondering if the detector that I am swinging has died and  then start wishing for the odd bit of scrap just kill the boredom of the silent swing, or save me from having to checkout the machine to make sure that it isn't dead.

Started to get the itch again yesterday and am hankering after driving down the coast and seeing how Talacre has changed over these months of lockdown. Double checked the Safari and the Quest Q40, charged up all the batteries (including spares) and now just have to remember where I put the ProPointer!  Roll Eyes

My knee pads have taken a real battering in the garden over the last four months and the Velcro straps may just not stand up to several hours of beach detecting. Come to think of it, me and my knees may not be able to stick the pace anymore!   Roll Eyes

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »

Oh, isn't it a real bummer when those blank buttons have produced a bloomin coin ball but any coin lifts your spirits after a few hours of nowt?

If you hit the treasure motherload and reaped all it's rewards, would you then continue detecting; or would detecting after that be mediocre? 

I found it quite difficult after finding my hoard - how can you better something like that, unless it is a bigger hoard? And yet some of my favourite finds haven't been fantastic like that - I always like finding half decent cartwheels - and I was really over the moon with my first complete axehead last year. I suppose my site has been quite similar to Carling's despite being 'empty' - apart from a distinct lack of hammereds.....I think I've had about 30 over a twelve year period...
carling2

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »

Yep I enjoy tectin and these days finds are defo a bonus but I think it's just the pleasure of being out and the anticipation ( how ever misguided that may be) in finding something, now I've said I have thousands of acres in permissions and find stuff quite regular which is nice to find but I defo haven't got the wow factor anymore,,, anyways this season I decided I needed more pasture land ( got loads of arable but not much grass) so I went and picked up a large farm pasture and arable just outside Leominster today ( I rarely get new perms as I don't see the point) but this new farm is medieval and in a little village, do I think I will find something to put the spark back in??? Probably not but its somewhere new to go at the weekend and the crop season for all my usual stuff ain't far away.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:02:19 PM by carling2 » Logged
Richie sixpence

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »

Hi my friend did you get to Talacre? I've just been made redundant from Magellan Aerospace due to the lack of demand  for aircraft.
All the very best stay safe  my friend Richie sixpence

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »

Well I've certainly found it hard to continue detecting after finding my hoard - and yes, finding a gold hammered again last year (and an axe head) was really great, but it is getting harder and harder to be bothered. I've had four hammereds out of one field over 5 years - it has just been cut and again all I got was buttons (and junk) - that's the best field left on the farm. When you see what people further east than Wales are posting it does get me down - I'd love anything celtic or indeed anything roman (as I haven't found one of those for almost two years). I've even spent four months not sending my CTX off to be repaired, and don't even complain too much when my missues says I've already been out detecting this month Smiley

I'll still go out, just not every week - would love just one place where there were plenty of non-green waste signals Smiley - another one on my adjoining permission (despite being pasture) has been ruined this year by green waste. Great shame.
carling2

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »

I don't think your alone mate I also ain't got the go to go out 😁 and I think there's many in this hobby now hanging up there spades, getting harder to get permissions, getting harder to get finds Wales or not seems to be the same all over  and to be fair the finds we see on YouTube and Facebook etc can't really be took at face value ( in fact I'm 1 of these guys that don't watch anything detecting related at all)to be fair I've said before I don't really get new perms because 95% of the time someone's already been there.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »

Hi my friend did you get to Talacre? I've just been made redundant from Magellan Aerospace due to the lack of demand  for aircraft.
All the very best stay safe  my friend Richie sixpence

Hi Richie,

sorry I missed your post. Nope, never made it down to Talacre and had to move our holiday dates, for the third time! Sad

I was eventually contemplating driving down the coast for a day's beach detecting when the balloon went up and all the new travel restrictions hit Mersey Side and Wales. One bit of good news within all this was that the lady who's paddock I was going to swing the coil over, in the hopes of finding her lost ear-rings, has plenty of acres of undetected land that I could take a look at.

Sorry to hear about the redundancies but trust that you are, at least, finding some good in the situation. Drop me an email or a pm my friend.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal