Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 14497 times)
carling2

« on: March 23, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »

Well no more than 2 people outside excluding family  and your allowed out once a day for exercise.. So the way I see it detecting is exercise where your in the middle of nowhere and if your like me and have thousands of acres to go on there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of social isolation .. All you social swingers are a bit buggered but if ya got your own land why not.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:39:47 AM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »

Just this Minuit on Sky news. The Government are sending everyone in the country a text message. YOU MUST STAY AT HOME

Personally I agree with your sentiments carling. If I get in my car at home, on my own and drive to one of my permissions, on my own and detect in a big field, on my own. How’s that endangering anyone ?
BUT how’s it going to be seen by others ? Morally we should do as Boris is now ordering us to do. But, of course not all scenarios can be taken into account by someone in the centre of London.

Let us know how your getting on in Strangeways 😳😳😉😉👍😂😂😂

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
carling2

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:30 AM »

Lol and morning to you val if we are going on about the news,,, parks are still open and as said your still allowed out for exercise once a day shopping for essentials and medication ..so people will still be traveling so no need for anyone to take the moral high ground unless there green cause they ain't got anywhere practical to go to exercise  Now in the village I live in I have a 800 acre permission less than a minute drive and another 800 permission less than 10 mins drive.. And several more further afield... Now I could either go there for my exercise or I could walk around my village I know which is safer and better for everybody so yes that's my argument    and I'm going to make it a point to call the landowners before I go so I ain't meeting them but they know I'm about... I'm still being sensible I'm getting my exercise and I ain't near anybody sounds like social distancing to me. And within the law.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:45:43 AM by carling2 » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »

I agree with you Carling  - I was out on Sunday and in the entire time I was out, the greatest social interaction I had was with the petrol pump.....

I see the NCMD has issued a statement that we should stop immediately; other people have suggested it is now illegal. I'm still struggling to see how it could be illegal - it is after all exercise.

But unfortunately, despite the current worldwide madness - the people in charge have some big sticks. I'm just hoping, against hope - that the government is as good as its word and cancels the legislation as soon as it isn't needed. It's just that governments don't really have a good track record with that.

I had to laugh  about the 'try using food delivery services' - except that there is a two or three week wait to get a slot........
carling2

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »

Aparantly they asked Sara?? A goverment health thing if metal detecting is classed as exercise and the answer is yes but they ain't sure how the police would feel.. I would say they ain't bothered as long as your on your own and on private land.. So yes I shall be out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:01:06 PM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »

Although ‘immediately’ was mentioned I heard that enforcement will not become law till Thursday. Like you carling, I’ve got a few fields 10 mins away, all back lanes. Trouble is I’ve never found anything of interest there and not a single coin. If I go there I’ll be swinging fir swinging sake.  Huh

I was a good girl this morning. I did 3 things in one. I walked the dogs, got my exercise, and called into the Co-op for items not delivered by Tesco yesterday.
As Roland said, delivery ? It’s a no go. Tesco are currently showing dates up to 12th April there are NO slots available.
What about Click & Collect ? Just the same.

I’ve had my text from the Gov. had yours yet ?

carling2

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »

Hi val I've just been out for a drive and the way I see it is this.. Gov say you can go out and exercise( yes detecting is classed as exercise) and yes you can go for a drive to get some air,, I've seen people walking in fields today and as said yes you can drive for recreation ( so what the ncmd says makes no sense ( all detecting banned) even though you can drive to a field walk in a field for exercise (as long as your on your own) seems to me ncmd actually as a problem with metal detectorists well err. Err metal detecting 😁. Yes I think everybody had a text apart from me it's doing the rounds also again misleading people. Don't go out messages really don't explain a lot🙄🤔)
N8

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »

Lets be honest, detecting is hardly a contact sport, if i can get in a big field, on my own, with some fresh air as company then i cant see a problem with it, your more at risk going to the shops.
I went to my permission on sunday, found a few worn coppers, a nice copper half crown 🤔 and a late silver sixpence. Nothing spectacular but worth the day out. Only people i saw was a couple of ramblers on the far edge of my field, happy days!

To dig or not to dig? That is the question
carling2

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:24:19 PM »

I totally agree n8 go on your own stay away from people call the farmer before you go so you haven't got to talk face to face and wear gloves while there especially for opening of gates etc... Job done. Actually just reading the latest update from ncmd if you follow the above procedures then your being as safe as you can and obviously they don't condone it  but it's open to interpretation... Indeed I've just phoned a farmer about tectin he said as long as I don't go near the house  and if I see him don't aproach him it won't be a problem and thanks for calling rather than knocking the door.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:02:13 PM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:37 PM »

I was listening to the Questions & Answers section at tea time and one question came in from a Fisherman. He anted to know if he was OK to go course fishing on a lake he uses. Large lake where they allocate 1 acre per man.
The answer came back that it was still unadvisable because of cross contamination. He could maybe touch something or sit on a bench used by the previous man  Undecided Roll Eyes
So the answer was No ! He did say though that the police would not stop you while in the car and ask why and where you are travelling.
I’m inclined to go with the above ideas. Take my main permission (please) its an unoccupied cereal & silage growing farm. In all the times I’ve been ive only ever seen Contractors working and I’ve never seen one of them on foot. They’re always in a vehicle, usually a huge tractor. The only contact is a cheerful wave if they see me in passing. Most times I’m completely on my own. No one sees me come or go and only out of politeness I occasionally phone the owner to check if I’m still OK to
go. In 5 years I’ve seen 1 dog walker.
So you have to aske, where is the harm in that ?

carling2

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:17 AM »

I can't see any harm in that at all val your not hurting anybody and your within the law.. Way more than anybody going to the shop or a walk in the park for example but please follow the above steps. For years we've heard the term from ncmd of responsible detecting, it is a form of exercise and isolation and yes we can do it responsibly rather than just blanket ban it beacuse we ain't sure on the guidelines. As said you can walk in a field and you can drive to a field and if your following above steps. Then ncmd need to give there head a wobble no police is going to walk into a field on private land beacuse they see 1 person detecting it nor are they going to stop you going to and from by car... It is within the law.and to be fair you couldn't class fishing as exercise😁.. Hh
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:22:20 AM by carling2 » Logged
Greg

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »

It’s a difficult subject, and all the above comments are very sensible, but it does not take into account the idiots that will call at the farm knock the door, handling gates on the way in, handling gates in the fields, no one knows how long the virus can survive on surfaces, will they take precautions NO.
Was it Martin Luther King that said ‘nothing in more dangerous than ignorance and stupidity’.
I think NCMD are trying to cover all eventualities, most detectorists have been stuck in for the last few months, due to the weather, will another few months make any difference?
carling2

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:11 PM »

It's true mate in what your saying and all I'm saying is if you feel you have to go detecting ( it certainly ain't against the current law)  use you loaf and take precautions.. You know as well as I do a lot of people will still go detecting especially now with the warmer weather and ploughs rolling all im saying again is use you noodle avoid contact, wear gloves, and go on your own.  If it sinks in  then great I think the advice is better than the ncmd advice that no tectin allowed you know loads will not listen.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »

It’s a difficult subject, and all the above comments are very sensible, but it does not take into account the idiots that will call at the farm knock the door, handling gates on the way in, handling gates in the fields, no one knows how long the virus can survive on surfaces, will they take precautions NO.
Was it Martin Luther King that said ‘nothing in more dangerous than ignorance and stupidity’.
I think NCMD are trying to cover all eventualities, most detectorists have been stuck in for the last few months, due to the weather, will another few months make any difference?

And I think this is a general problem in life - and we as a people / or the government haven't come to a suitable resolution yet. The roads outside my house had their speed limits dropped to 30mph recently because one person said 'old people cross the road here'. Now the only fatality I know, in 40 years living on that road was my best friend who was run over at a crossing, when the lights were red, and he had a green man, but a drunk driver. My missus has even signed up to be a speed gun user to catch 'crims'. But actually the people who do roar up the road at 60mph - aside from the police and the ambulances - don't care and continue to drive at stupid speeds, whilst the rest of us continue to curse the drop in speed limit.

By the token of ' a few idiots' lots of things could be (and do get) banned - but that almost never stops the people flouting the law in the first place, just annoys people who do stick within the law. I can understand that people are scared - there has been a lot of fear mongering from the government and media, and that in itself causes more problems - but it did seem - a bit like some of the clubs where people were going to turn up in Hazmat suits seems a little extreme. The last time I looked, there were only 7 cases of Covid-19 in Herefordshire - and they are almost all in Hereford itself - and apparently the virus is most transmitted by touch.

As to gates and the like - the virus does not last that long in the open - and sunlight is very good at destroying viruses and the like. Given how few people we see out detecting I would have thought the likelihood of catching the virus from a farm gate is almost nil.  We live in a society that does not understand risk - and we should also understand that almost all journalists and members of the government don't have a sufficient mathematical / analytical background to understand risk either. Just take an estimate of the number of people infected with the disease put out by , I think, the centre for tropical diseases, which said somewhere between '6000 and 23 million' people had the disease in this country.....

Those people who have been badly affected by Covid-19 have - almost to a person - had (multiple) underlying health conditions. These are the people who need to stay safe and protected. These are people who are at risk even from normal infections / 'flu.

Anyway, lecture over Smiley   [I assess risk as part of my job on a regular basis, and wrote the company Risk assessment and chemical assessment forms. My previous job was in the funeral business, where pandemic planning was part of the job. My current role is heavily data driven].
carling2

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »

Well said probono and put forward quite well with previous knowledge behind it... I think we all know health and safety in this country as gone on the loony side of the coin and we are fast becoming a nanny state... When I explain what precautions you should take while out tectin most say what if you have a accident if your out? I say and we all know accidents can happen anytime anywhere and in 20 years tectin I've never had a tectin accident.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal