Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: couple of nice romans  (Read 3665 times)
relicron

« on: March 18, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »

Hello guys,myself & tom,found a gap in this awful weather last week and done a bit of detecting,we didn't have a bad day,& not a drop of rain all day,we started on a big stubble field where we have had some lovely finds in the past,tom started off on a good note,with a couple of finds ,I had buttons a Georgie and a buckle,we then decided to go into a little wood where we had a few romans from in the past,the only trouble is its riddled with bullets & cartridge cases,but we managed to whittle out a couple of finds,here are mine,perhaps tom will put his up later cheers guys,ron.

* 20200304_080351.jpg (77.61 KB, 368x653 - viewed 392 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 04:07:21 PM »

Well found Ron. They’re in good condition as well, makes a change.
With a bit of luck the weather will change for the better and a few more of us can get out.
One thing’s for sure, we’ll be safer in a field, on our own than anywhere else and it would be very pleasant to be out in the fresh air with the chance of finding something nice.
Everywhere else, take care. Be safe.

Apologies Ron. Got you two mixed up. 🤪 Have now corrected.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:53:24 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jtalbot0001

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »

Hi Ron,

Great finds!

Please can you show a picture of the other side of the coin, top row, 2nd from left.

Thanks,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Greg

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »

That’s a very productive wood you have there, must have been a lot of Roman activity in the past, very well done.
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »

Here's my finds from the day.  A few Romans from the copse, a couple of hammies from the stubble, a nice Saxon strap end and what I think is an Angel coin weight, again from the stubble. Anyone have an idea what the last photo is please?   It's a sixty acre field so plenty of scope and definitely more finds to come from there. 
With the weather improving, me and Ron are hoping to get out again to a couple of new permissions we have, though poles apart, one in Somerset and the other in Herefordshire.  Lots of travelling, but we always enjoy our day out in the countryside.  Cheers and Happy Digging!!  Tom.

* IMG_1609.JPG (81.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 444 times.)

* IMG_1614.JPG (69.24 KB, 640x480 - viewed 543 times.)

* IMG_1611.JPG (78.61 KB, 640x480 - viewed 678 times.)

* IMG_1613.JPG (86.22 KB, 640x480 - viewed 522 times.)
Greg

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »

Tom. Can you give us some scale to the last item.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »

Nice day out - again Smiley The second coin in the first photo is an Allectus - judging from the size of it (compared to the others) I think it must be an Ant, and will probably have Pax Avg as the reverse - but it would be interesting to see what it is.

I'm tempted to get out detecting in South Glos this weekend unless the government prohibits it (or the land owner says no). As detectorists even when we detect with other people we're pretty self-isolating!
relicron

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:29 PM »

hi guys,here is the reverse side of that bigger coin,and would anybody have any idea's what this item is please,yea your right there roly,well myself and tom are going out on sunday,but we are not allowed to go to the farm house,thanks again guys,

* 20200320_115628.jpg (90.67 KB, 368x653 - viewed 553 times.)

* 20200320_120955.jpg (65.08 KB, 347x617 - viewed 509 times.)
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »

Hi Greg, the odd object in the last photo is 40mm wide x 30mm high.  I've no idea whatsoever what it could be.  It was found in a field near a small marching camp
The zoomorphic Saxon strap end is 60mm long x 16mm wide.
Thanks Roly, Val and everyone else for taking an interest in our finds.  It's great to see that members are still using the forum.  Good weather next week, so come on folks, let's see more photos of days out on the forum.
Cheers.  Tom.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 07:25:31 PM »

I’d be over the moon with a days Finds like that. Especially the strap end. Once again you two are turning up a few nice surprises.
Best of luck next time out. You were missed and I’m sure we’re all pleased to see your back to form 👍

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Greg

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »

Hi Tom. Thanks for the scaled photo, I thought it was going to be much bigger, so sorry I have no clue, again you are very lucky to have that permission.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 02:56:34 PM »

i'm still hoping there is a hotspot somewhere on the farm I go to in South Glos.

I was there on Sunday - looked at three large ploughed fields - best find of a small amount of non-iron - was a broken bit of a nutcracker...

In the pasture field where I found my gold hammy had a Earl Howe token, an Irish farthing (of Geo III) and a cracking, if dished 1881H half penny - and that was gridding away - I'm getting plenty of really tiny things - the smallest bullets for instance. I'm convinced that even in the roman period the place was a sheep farm, so despite many paths, and a roman road and a villa and a big house and ring barrows it's just empty. I should point out that the villa was used as a quarry, and then has had 5 foot of modern rubbish (early 20th century) rubbish dumped on it...only had 1 roman coin from there......

Looking on the finds distribution of the area, there's a big blank space roughly where I am looking - perhaps that should tell me something!

I know that you have lots and lots of farms and a lot of ground to cover - what did you do to find the hotspots? (If you don't mind sharing advice!) I've done all the usual things - checked paths - checked out tithe maps, looked along the roman road - looked up sources from the 1700s that talk about things, looked at aerial photos, looked at lidar data, looked at Pastscape and the like - looked at paths from farm / house to church and pub, etc...  The ground is quite stony (at least in the ploughed fields) - so I get some fun from picking up fossils and flints, but it would be lovely to find a hammy or two, or even some milled silver, or some roman.

The landowner has said I can detect his front lawn (when this isolation is over) - so you never know!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal