Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Equinox 800  (Read 14576 times)
carling2

« on: February 29, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »

Well I've been detecting almost 20 years now and today I took the equinox for the 1st time out on a new field and I must say I haven't got a clue what the hype is about. I've used the se for years and after 4 hours detecting I was wishing I took that out instead. Yes it does get uncomftable maybe because of the balance yes I was digging loads of targets but I wouldn't have quessed any targets were hammereds if they jumped out the hole and into my face.. Tone id was the same sound ( a bit like sooty and sweep having a orgasm) even though most numbers were different and obviously different metals( coins lead, tin, iron bolts etc)  all sound the same but with different numbers.example coins have the same numbers as tiny bits of lead and bits of tin so the tone doesn't help nor do the nunbers. Do I think I will find more with the nox? Nope but I bet I will dig a load more rubbish.. Decided to keep nox as back up and stick to a machine that at least gives you a idea what is below.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:12:08 PM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:54:50 PM »

What you have failed to realise is the NOX is a completely new beast.
It has to be learned from scratch. You can’t do that in one outing. 
It can be an ‘out of the box’ machine but it’s basically set up more for the USA users so to get the best out of it here requires a few changes to the settings.

I won’t preach, you’ve obviously made up your mind that you’ve wasted £900.  Horses and water come to mind.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
carling2

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »

Do you work for minelab or just like to be condescending? I took setting from a forum( UK)  and ran past them with 800 users I know settings were fine.. It was my personnel view on the 800 we all have different tastes some might agree some may not. Some may have advice or ideas.. Horses for courses. Thinking more like different strokes for different folks... After being on this site over 10 years I can see why it's never been so quiet.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:47:19 PM by carling2 » Logged
Greg

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »

With all due respect, I think you may need to spend some time reading the manual, you may be inadvertently be using single tone.
There are a number of options, single tone; two tone; five tone or 50 tones. You can also configure the tone pitch for each tone and you can set you own break points e.g. -9 to +1, 2 to 8, 9 to 15 etc. Whatever suits your hearing.
Don’t give up it’s a good machine but so is the SE and I would not like to live on the difference.
carling2

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 12:15:40 AM »

Thanks Greg.. After reading through the full 68 page manual and still non the wiser.. I guess this machine ain't for me... Oh well I live in herefordshire and there ain't a lot to find anyhow so I figure my se will do just a good a job. 😉😁
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »

I’m not being condescending, I’m being honest and talking from experience.
I have the NOX and I’ve been a member of this Forum for over 10 years !

One session and one attempt at changing settings isn’t enough to condemn any machine. The NOX is a complicated machine to configure I won’t deny. One setting may not suit all but it can, with patience, trail & error become the best machine anyone could wish for.

But, after all, it’s your decision. It just offends an advocate to see such quick criticism of a now accepted top of the range machine.

carling2

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:44:15 PM »

Well thanks to my mate Mr h  coming and putting his settings on my machine I didn't dig any iron today but still dug a load of rubbish yes it's a good machine but still everything sounds the same tin. Lead. Coins etc so I'm not convinced yet and think people find more good finds with it as a law of averages more targets you dig more chance of something decent and with the nox you dig everything
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 08:34:56 PM »

I have to admit the tones were my only disappointment when I had mine.
 I was expecting the usual melodic sounds I’d had with the Safari. (And the one I hated and can’t remember the name of)
As already said the tone pitch can be changed (not tried) and the tone break. I did change the break because I’d seen others had found thin hammies as low as 1 on the screen.
I couldn’t discern any difference in the tone between -9 up to about 12, hence the change.
The numbers are nothing like any of the previous Minelab, so don’t put too much faith in them.  Best to use 50 tones, if you can stand it (noisy) or 5, my favourite, and get used to them. Detect by ear only using the numbers as back up.
Pleased to hear you’re half way to liking it. Stick with it, you won’t be disappointed and given a bit of time you won’t dig a fraction of the rubbish 👍

carling2

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »

Cheers val I'm sure I wil get used to the tones sooner or later (or not😁) 1st outing I tried 50 tones (didn't like that) last outing 5 tones which I found more stable.. Is it my ears cause when I tried 50 tones or 5 I couldn't figure any difference between them just as said 5 tones appeared more stable, after looking on the Web a lot of people are struggling with tone Id as I say yep great machine if you want to dig everything not so good if your a coin shooter type of detectorist.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:15:59 PM by carling2 » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 03:37:59 PM »

I have the NOX 800, and a CTX and an ETRAC. I've been using Minelabs for 12 years.

Since I bought the Nox last year, I looked at a lot of Youtube videos to get it set up, and to understand the tones - at least the settings that I had put in (in Field 2).

It's already found me a gold hammy, my first two cut quarters (short cross and voided long cross), my first cut half (last week) and an axe head, most of which was in fields I've been looking at with my ETRAC for most of that time. [mind you I have found gold hammies with the SE Pro I used to have].

Where I haven't found a good lot of settings for it yet have been in a very iron infested area on one field - I'd still much rather the ETRAC there, as I am much more comfortable to input the correct settings for it - it was just too sparky (despite adjusting recovery speed etc). I've also found that I am digging up a lot more big iron than I used to with the ETRAC - which is annoying, but at least it is clearing that stuff out of the fields.

I also didn't have much luck on the beach - but then I haven't there with the ETRAC either.

What I do like - and which took some time to get used to was the 'horseshoe' setting - to see if something is iron as it quickly turns on or off discrim (of a sort).
carling2

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 04:45:17 PM »

I've found loads with the se over the years axe heads hammereds by the handful (full, halves quaters and the foreign jobs blind John of bohemia springs to mind)  milled gold coins hammered gold etc but never dug this much rubbish as I have with the nox.. I ve had 7 hammereds this year and 4 milled but been to the same fields with the nox on 3 separate occasions now and found nowt but rubbish and plenty of it..  Yes nox does find what others leave behind but I'm telling myself the stuff I'm finding with the nox I would gladly leave behind 😁(yes I know some of you have found this and that with the nox but that still ain't saying you wouldn't have found it with another machine) Defo looking forward to taking the se back out next outing and stashing the nox in the tectin cupboard. Believe it or not I'm still not saying the equinox is a bad machine I'm saving mine solely for detecting arable floodplains where targets are few and stuff is deep then I think the nox will shine.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:58:44 AM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »

Field 2 is sparky and also picks up coke, making it even more noisy.
 Most have tended to go with Field 1. Recovery 4. Iron bias 1.b
It works well on the beach as well.
Horse shoe is a great feature.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:16:21 PM »

Field 2 is sparky and also picks up coke, making it even more noisy.
 Most have tended to go with Field 1. Recovery 4. Iron bias 1.b
It works well on the beach as well.
Horse shoe is a great feature.

Do you have some good beach settings - I used the standard beach ones on Barry a few weeks ago, and at some point it just started sounding off, and even ground balancing it didn't help - I thought it had broken  - but it seems fine on land again....it was a very windy and wet day with lots of blown sand.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 01:50:45 AM »

Hi Roland. If it does that the best option is to reduces the sens till it settles and noise cancel more often.
Personally I continue to use field 1, even on the beach, and it’s just as good as the beach program.
Being lazy, plus I can’t save settings on the 600 so if I change programs I loose what I’ve selected for the field and I can never remember what they were.
I’ll send you a PM

carling2

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »

OK I've gad the nox for 3 weeks now and in that time I've had 4 hammereds and 2 milled silver and lots of artifacts and coins.. I think now after 3 weeks I've got over my learning curve and am actually impressed with the nox.. I wish to retract my previous posts that were full of uncertainty 😁😁

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal