Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a break in the weather -  (Read 7463 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »

- and favourable tides.

I have been itching to get out and swing a coil over some sand for a while now but can't make up my mind as to which North Wales beach to detect. Sweep Talacre sands once again, or revisit Colwyn  Bay and follow-up on my first and only visit there?

Of course, these short days and early onset of evening darkness do bring with them certain limitations. Quite a triangle of events to try and balance up; weather, daylight hours, and tide times. Sad

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »

As I said on your 1st post high wind from the north, single figure temps. Don’t think it needs thinking about for more than 10 seconds 👎

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »

Oops, I had discounted wind and ambient temperatures! Thanks Val.  Cry

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:54:32 PM »

Did you get out in the end?

I went out yesterday - same place as I found my axe - no more sadly, but I did get caught out in the rain. A bit of detecting certainly warms you up if you are digging frequently enough.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:53:41 PM »

Alas, not yet but still chaffing at the bit. Hoping for Colwyn Bay and an opportunity to follow up on my last visit there during the warmer weather but take the scoop with me this time. The Q40 detector behaved it's self quite well down there but some targets were beyond recovery using a spade.

Here are some of harvest from my last visit but no treasure, though!

* Colwyn Bay 02.JPG (80.33 KB, 500x354 - viewed 1516 times.)

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 01:52:42 AM »

Well done Chris. Gives you a bit of enthusiasm for the next trip.  At least you found a few coins and the weights are useful.
I got out for a reccie this afternoon. Strange how things turn out sometimes. I’ve been moaning to myself for weeks about Maize. Well it’s been cut at last but that’s about it. It’s been too wet, and still is, for any disking and I just couldn’t face battling through all the mini spikes left behind.
Anyway long story short. A friend visited a few months ago and told us she’d bought a field (horses) didn’t put much store in that. One field, 3 horses. Happened to pass the field a few days ago, gate open, so popped in to have a chat.
Turns out it’s 4 fields, not one, quite close to a village. Detector symbols popped into mind  Roll Eyes
After a quick look round today I was quite impressed. Only thing I can find about the land is an old track (spotted) mention of a Millstream (spotted) Castle ? Myth ? And a nearby coal mine.
Got to give it a go, ain’t I ? Nice and close as well and all grass. Hope to get there in the next few days, if the rain holds off. 
I’ll let you know if I find a hoard  Grin

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »

Well Val. good luck with the new permission;  you may just find a horseshoe and you know what they say about horseshoes don't you?  Wink

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:39:58 PM »

For the number of them I’ve found over the years I should be a millionaire  Grin

I reckon that’s the only sure find on these new fields 👍

anthonyjay

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »

Best wishes Val on your new fields, you should get some good stuff by the sound of your description etc, The track sounds positive to me anyway. Hope all goes well for you. ATB AnthonyJ.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »

Ah, the best laid plans etc !  Had it all worked out, couldn’t go Sun, couldn’t go Mon but all set up, cleaned, charged and ready for today.
Checked the forecast over 1st cup of coffee this morning and guess what ?
Rain by 10 lasting all day  Angry

All not wasted though. I spent the afternoon washing tiles in bathroom and taking lamp shades down and washing them.
Anyway, whatever’s there (or not) has been there a long time so I guess it’ll wait a bit longer.
In the meantime I’ve been doing a bit more research. Not a lot to find in usual records but the old maps are interesting. The old Church the path leads to was originally built pre Norman Conquest so I’m looking forward to giving that a go.
The styles are very over-grown so it doesn’t look like the path has been walked much recently but it can still be seen, just. Only down-side (forgive the pun) is it’s at the bottom of a hill. That probably means any old finds will be deep, maybe too deep. Time will tell 🤞

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal