Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: About as bad as they get.  (Read 10341 times)
Greg

« on: October 24, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »

Mangled hammered, I can see a long cross and I think a shield, but there it ends.
Good luck spotters.

* mangled 01.jpg (152.21 KB, 876x1191 - viewed 1668 times.)

* Mangled 02.jpg (151.07 KB, 838x1174 - viewed 2059 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:55:03 PM »

You ain’t joking Greg.  I’d almost made up my mind that it was foreign then I thought I could see something in pic 2.
Pretty sure that its part of ‘civitas’ so it’s London mint but I haven’t a clue who.

Still, I always say, a Hammy is a Hammy, no matter what.  Well found.

Let’s hope someone else can recognise what some of the lumps and bumps.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »

well, it's Tudor  - and I'm pretty certain on the shield side it starts off with CIVITAS. There's an R part of the way round, so could be EBORACI / CANTOR  - at least that's what I initially thought Smiley

Looks like a half groat kind of size.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »

Possibly a sovereign penny of Henry VIII, Canterbury mint, Spink 2351 looks most likely to me.
Greg

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »

Thanks all, and well done, not much left to work with.
carling2

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 03:08:59 PM »

Wouldn't worry about it mate last 2 hammys I found have been literally.. Well er hammered. Used to be a time of full groats with stunning portraits now it just seems like toenail cuttings these days😁
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »

Well good hammies are still out there  - we just need to find out where they are hiding!

Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »

Wouldn't worry about it mate last 2 hammys I found have been literally.. Well er hammered. Used to be a time of full groats with stunning portraits now it just seems like toenail cuttings these days😁
I  haven't  been  detecting for a good while due to health issues  but I  always  found that a cracking  hammered  and  battered one gave a similar  signal . Finding  the right land is the answer  to  finding  good or bad coins, they  exist side by side.
carling2

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:51:33 PM »

After almost 20 years of me doing this game the land as changed.. I've done so called untected farms and yes found mainly cracking coins then I've been to farms that I know have been done by others and found mainly poor examples.. I don't think the land is the answer but how many much detectoring its seen a crackered hammered or a cut half/quarter is harder to pull up than a whole coin. Size of target being the obvious factor
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 02:55:39 PM »

I've been detecting my main permission for 12 years now - and whilst the pasture fields are quieter, I'm still finding things.

Six of the seven last trips have resulted in something silver - last outing (on Sunday) was a bullhead sixpence, from a field that I have detected for at least 7 years (because that's when I found a half sovereign in it).

The other trip produced an axe head.

Last year I found - in a field I have detected for 10 years - a commonwealth penny - and quite a number of 17th century tokens. The main problem with that field is that the farmer has only harrowed it for the last two years.

Some of the fields were detected for at least 20 years by several people - and in their words 'completely hammered' - before I got there.  Some of the fields have never produced anything.

Yes the most productive field is barren - but my detecting friend (Mike the Fob) still managed to find a livery button and other odds and sods this weekend. He and I both agree that if the farmer ever ploughed it we'd both take a week off to detect it .

And yet - on another farm in a richer part of the world - despite the owner never giving anyone before me permission, it is almost empty - one roman and two hammereds have come from it - but at least one of the hammereds (this year indeed) was a gold crown of Chas I.
carling2

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »

Yes I don't doubt it. Thing is the more you find the harder you look at any site.. Like you I've found countless finds and been on here years and been called ( nfl, paulywow, etc,,) amongst other things😁.. I'm only saying any site will produce so much and then you really I mean really look.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:38:26 PM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »

I have noticed many Farmers don’t seem to plough any more and wonder if this is a contributory factor in finds becoming more scarce.
My main  permission was purchased for growing animal feeds. All the fields are planted on a strict rotation. The only time I’ve found anything really decent was when a field was deep ploughed for the first time. Now they only disc, before seeding.
Wonder how many others do the same.

carling2

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »

Val I just think it all depends where you go and how often it's been done before at the moment 1 of my sites is 180 acres of just pulled potatoes I've never found nothing on there for years I know the estate has been tected before ( it's a 800 acre estate with a 800 year old moated Manor house in the middle and a bronze age encampment and roman Fort on the estate.. Only ever found 11 hammereds and 2 roman bronze in 6 years there. And to be fair the farm I have on the edge of my village in herefordshire as been done by others over the last 20 years but I've still had 15 hammereds of it this year but its near a village. Ie more people more finds appear when the ground turned
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:40:00 PM by carling2 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »

Can’t argue with that assumption carling. Potato fields have always been a big attraction mainly because they are still turned over every year. They can only produce so much though and that’s dictated by where they are.
And thereby is my problem. Lack of habitation. But like you I keep going to the same old familiar place.
It has its merits. Getting to really know an area takes time and lots of digging. For me I s’pose there’s an added consideration, where do I feel safe and comfortable being on my own. My farm permission fits the bill but isn’t very productive for the sort of finds we all like best. It’s hard work finding those occasional pocket loses.
Still, I think I’ve done quite well on the Finds side. I’ve had silver and gold from there and some lovely ancient finds. Oh ! And half a Romano/British brooch  Grin
I never go with any great expectations. Just a way of enjoying a break away from domesticity for a few hours. A nice find is a bonus.

carling2

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 11:45:24 AM »

I think you look at it the right way val.. I mean most of us on here that have been tectin for yonks usually find regular finds.. Usually cause we have our favourite places to go and usually on those places we can usually say what sort of stuff we will find... Now I know the grass always looks greener in this hobby but any new place is a unknown  so might take a while to get finds if any especially these days when it seems most land has been detected to some point
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:47:17 AM by carling2 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal