Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My New Toy  (Read 3647 times)
roughneck

T2 SE

« on: July 25, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »

Hi Folks
Me and Ron have not had anything to post on the forum for a while.  Reason being I've been in hospital and had a total hip replacement and Ron has had a thyroid problem.  This old age definitely does not come on its own.  I have however got us a couple of new farms for when we eventually hit the fields once again (in the not too distant future I hope).    I even obtained permission to detect on the farm owned by my surgeon, the nurses mentioned he was a landowner and I mentioned to him whilst on the trolley to the theatre that I am a detectorist and he gave me the farm details.  Now that's the way to do it!
Anyway, whilst I've been laid up and not spending my pocket money I decided a bit of retail therapy may make me feel better.  So what did I do?  I bought myself a Nox 800.  Now I need some help please from all the Nox owners.  Where do I start?  It looks quite complicated to tweak the existing programmes.
I hope Paul (Celtic Spikey) reads this post and pm's me with all the latest programmes he's developed.  That's a very subtle hint Paul because I know from previous posts that you've had some success with the Nox and are getting on well with it.  Any help from any forum members will be appreciated.
Cheers and Happy Digging everyone.  Get out there and enjoy the harvest.  Tom.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »

Sorry, just can't offer any advice for the Nox but trust that you will both be up and swinging asap. Funny how fate works sometimes. Good luck with the new permissions.

Chris  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Greg

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »

Hi Tom.
Had my 800 since Feb, like everything it takes time, my E-Trac is a better machine for Id before digging, but is getting heavy for me after a couple of hours.
If you want a simple setup use Field 1, sensitivity around 22, Iron bias around 3. Reactivity around 4. Multi frequency and I leave the iron in (Horseshoe), 50 tones is a bit busy so I use 5. My buddy still uses an e-trac and the 800 is a bit deeper (not much, perhaps an inch or two).  In every field noise cancel and manually ground balance again.
Make sure your mobile phone WiFi and mobile data is switched off or it will drive you mad.
The only issue I have is with the read out, the same numbers cover a lot of finds, as an example I was picking up lots of bullets reading 9 when a friend found a gold stator, yes it was also 9 and small hammered can come in at 9.
Ferrous items can give a good reading but will usually throw in a few minus figures and grunts, you can easily change frequency to help confirm.
Good luck, you have probably been there before, and you know it takes time.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:39:30 PM »

I've only recently got a Nox 800 - one thing I do when I get a clear signal, is switch the horseshoe button on and off - one way stops the descrim on the iron, so if you do get some big iron or an iffy signal (I was getting a lot of stuff around '15') - then you'll see it start to show a lot of negative numbers. Every time I then dug one with negative numbers it was iron.

I've not used it much - apart from the garden of course - where I trial all my machines - to see what I've missed before,

It's had two run outs - and in one field I found six coins where it's been really quite for a few years - including a large 19th century copper token (which I should have picked up with my beloved E-TRAC) - and a runout with GDC where I found my first hammered of the year -  both the hammereds on that rally were found by Nox's - probably just a coincidence - but at least it has proved its worth enough for me at the moment Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 02:37:35 AM »

Hi tom, hope the hips are starting to settle. Don’t rush, take it like the NOX. Slow and Gentle.
Big change there with the swinging speed. It needs to be slow. It’s really not a difficult machine to get used to. Much more user friendly than previous Minelabs.
To start out just use a pre-set Field 1 is the easiest but you will need Iron Bias set at 1. Much discussion suggests you loose depth if any higher. Sensitivity at 20 and 5 tones. Noise cancel now and then to suit changing ground conditions. Manual ground balance is not a necessity and makes little difference. Reactivity depends on how much scrap is around. 3 s usual or 4 only if it’s bad.
You will need to watch out for those high tones on low numbers. Big criticism about that. So much good and bad stuff clumped together in the same numbers. Using 50 tones helps with that but drives you nuts. Best way to check is to press the horse shoe button (All Metal) and usually it will tell if it’s iron. I worried about that and eventually changed the tone break.
Pin pointer tends to be a bit off centre, not totally accurate, you’ll get used to it.

Just re-read all that and to a new user it’s probably as clear as mud !!

Easy start.  Switch on. Select Field 1. Noise cancel. Iron bias 1 (or 2 if needed).  5 tones. Sens.20. Volume to suit, Threshold to suit and go.

The rest will come later! I assume you’ve down loaded the Manual   Wink Good luck.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »

Thanks everyone for the info.  I've been studying YouTube, tutorials and reviews.  Mixed reviews?  I have a month or two recovery before I hit the fields so have plenty of time to sit and study/practice.  I'll let you know how I get on.  I'm hoping that it will give deeper results on our Roman fields which are producing less and less as we scour them.  It has to be deeper than the beloved Deus to prove its worth.  Looking forward to eventually trying it.
Thanks again for all the useful info.  Cheers.  Tom
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 06:46:16 AM »

Horses for courses Grin
I have had nox800 for nearly a year and to be honest Most of the time out detecting I switch back to my Deus.

The Deus feels lighter, and I although will keep the nox, more for new and existing members to borrow in |Brecon club, I keep threatening to detect in rivers etc. Cheesy

To me nox has waterproof control box whereas Deus does not.so has its uses in heavy rain.

Quite recently on our camping tecting weekend, the ground conditions were difficult or should i say like concrete ! Finds were pretty scarce due i think to those ground conditions, out of all the detectors on rally, the minelab sov elite found the most, then a garret, the fishers found silver, the noxes and me using Deus wasnt good, though I spent a lot of time talking.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:48:57 AM by outlaw » Logged
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »

Hi Tom, sorry I've taken so long to reply mate it's been so quiet on here I haven't looked in much, that said I'm as much to blame if I don't post up. I'll rectify now harvest is just about here. You've had some good replies I see already.
MY VIEW on NOX.....And like you a Big Deus fan, the Equinox is a game changer. My Deus battery is flat as I've haven't used it since getting the Nox.
I'll PM you tonight ok.
Sorry aswell Val I'll catch up with you X

PS see my Equinox Adventures in the searcher ( August issue) if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:13:14 PM by celticspikey » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal