Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First visit to Colwyn Bay  (Read 6997 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: July 24, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »

Eventually made it down to Colwyn Bay, after some considerable delays. Sticking to the east end of the bay and working an outgoing tide I picked two small areas that were fairly close together. I was quite stunned by the large amounts of scrap that was hiding beneath the sands there.

The Q40 grunted, groaned, rasped, and overloaded as I swung it to and froe but I was soon able to discerned some of the better targets and set about recovery operations. The lead weights and fish hooks came easy but the coins persisted in evading recovery by repeatedly refusing to come out on the cut down border spade that I was using. My next visit, if at all, will see me using the SS sand scoop. 

Chris  Wink

* Colwyn Bay 01.JPG (230.9 KB, 842x595 - viewed 1471 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »

Nicely done Chris. Glad you finally got there. I don’t see any bullets ! Bet you really missed them  Grin

You can build up your lead bucket if you go a few more times

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:40:17 PM »

Take a fishing  rod with  you  next time Chris  and catch  your tea while detecting.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »

If I do a return trip, I may just do that Chris.  Wink

I think I will avoid the lead patch next time Val and head directly for the coin patch and perhaps capture some of those elusive targets that just wouldn't come out of the sand. Not a bullet in sight though but plenty of iron and rusty rubbish. Similar to, but different than Talacre.

At one point I was down on one knee chasing after a target and was really focused on capturing the darned thing...………..when...…..a small black dog zoomed up from behind, shot through the gap in my legs and looked down into the hole. Not seeing anything in the hole it turned and looked me directly in the eye, as if to say 'what the hell are you looking for!'

What is it with us detectorists and dogs?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »

I ain’t got no idea Chris but you gotta love them !

My experience is, they either hate you or think you’re the best thing since sliced bread  Grin

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »

Sounds about right Val but fortunately I haven't yet met one that hates me.  Roll Eyes 

roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »

Nice story Chris.  Dogs on beaches this time of year??  Now that's a rarity!!!  Always worth weighing in all the lead.  Cheers.  Tom.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »

Hi Tom,
                                         the section of beach I was working at Colwyn Bay is dog friendly all year round. It is also full of loads of scrap but unlike Talacre sands, not a WWll bullet in site.

All the good weights get popped into my fishing box, or passed on to a friend. The not so good weights go in the scrap bucket along with any other scrap. We had a new central heating boiler fitted earlier in the year and I gave the guy the contract only if I could keep all the scrap lead and copper. ££££ Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 01:48:18 AM »

Dogs on beaches ! Ha now that’s a bit of a joke Tom. Most of the beaches round my side of the coast ban them from 1st April to 31st Sept.
By my experience that means the locals steer clear but the ‘visitors’ take no notice. Personally I steer clear from all them all, dog friendly or not. You wouldn’t believe how abusive some of the none dog owning visitors can be to an inquisitive and friendly dog so I leave then to it and use paths and tracks they don’t know about.

Strangely Chris, we had a new boiler fitted last week. The fitter has an arrangement with the local Gippos. Did us a favour ‘cause we had an old Governess pony trap we wanted gone so they took that as well.
When I say some dogs hate us, only ones I’ve come across seem to think we look likes aliens and just bark. Probably more fear than aggression.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 07:20:25 AM »

Aliens, now there's a thing! If you ever try to get close to wading birds and they are off like a rocket but...………..at Talacre, as I went about my early morning detecting head slightly stooped and slowly sweeping the coil over the wet sands close to the water line, I noticed that some of the birds were unphased by my presence and I would be getting far closer than ever before. Mind you, try and take a photo of  them and  they were off like a shot!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal