Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Finds  (Read 4447 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: June 20, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »

Hi guys and girls, no excuses I have been quiet on here for longer than I realised so let me make amends with the first of a couple of posts. The following finds are from a farm I have searched for a good few years, however I always thought this particular field these finds came from had not belonged to the farmer only rented from a large estate. Any way it transpires my landowner does own the lower half of the field so despite being in short maise it wasn't long before I was on it. It nestles in a secluded valley flanked by two big hills either side, roman settlements not far away. I have had 3 visits so far and it was not long before I noticed evidence of roman pottery on the surface and a bit of medieval hence the early cut halfs, also a complete penny unfortunately also folded and a bit damaged.
So it has produced 3 brooches the oldest being the La Tene 1, Swallowcliffe (Straight Bow) 4th-3rd cent BC. The headstud dates to around the 2nd cent AD. The tiny T Shaped dates to 1st-2nd cent AD. A nice selection of medieval buckles has came up, also 3 little silver pin heads. Looks like some musket practice has gone on as well and a selection of lead loom weights appeared. One day I'll find a complete bronze age spear but for now the tip of one will do. Any way I hope you like photos, hang in there harvest is not far away guys......Spikey  Oh by the way These fell to the power of the NOX in 40khz....

* 001.JPG (126.51 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 512 times.)

* 006.JPG (211 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 496 times.)

* 010.JPG (167.5 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 531 times.)

* 007.JPG (156.85 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 586 times.)

* 012.JPG (124.98 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 703 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:03 AM »

Hi Paul. Once again you dazzle us with your array of finds. That big brooch is a stunner and would you just look at those Buckles. I do think 4 spindle whorls is being a bit greedy though  Roll Eyes

I’ve been doing a bit of catching up myself. With the swinging, not the finds !  Didn’t need the NOX for today’s best find. A small but definite flint core, Neolithic. Obviously used for microliths.
I remember you saying you never found flints, shame. There’s just something about them I find so special.

Thanks for the catch-up and pics. Nice to see how the other half live  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:13:49 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
relicron

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »

hello  paul,you certainly have done it again,cracking finds once again,do you think its the nox that finds them,or is it that the stuff is there in the first place to find with the nox or Deus,we haven't been out for a while,i have had a terrible bad back,toms going in to have his new hip,so by the time he's ready all the crops will be in,and its a swinging we shall go,once again brilliant finds,take care paul,cheers Ron,
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »

Great finds again Smiley

Having now picked up my Nox 800 (bought second hand a few months ago, but I had to get a friend to pick it up for me, and we only met up last Sunday) - I'm interested in what settings you might be using - you mention 40Khz - at the moment I've managed (I think) to put the Searcher settings in it, and have only used in the back garden, where I found a couple of buttons I think my children / cat / chickens must have moved from my 'let the wind and the rain clean my finds' table......Smiley

I'm sure I've asked you before - are you using the standard coil, or the bigger coil available? I'm hoping to try my Nox out on my old hoard site - if I find anything there with it, then it is truly a better machine than the others I've used there (ETRAC / SE PRO / Deus / T2 / Racer II / CTX, etc). I can't believe I was really that good at finding everything there Smiley

I might also upload a buckle I found the other day (the only decent find) complete with pin - maybe someone can help me tie it down to a century - I think it might be late 17th century (everything is bronze on it, no iron).
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »

Hi Paul. Once again you dazzle us with your array of finds. That big brooch is a stunner and would you just look at those Buckles. I do think 4 spindle whorls is being a bit greedy though  Roll Eyes

I’ve been doing a bit of catching up myself. With the swinging, not the finds !  Didn’t need the NOX for today’s best find. A small but definite flint core, Neolithic. Obviously used for microliths.
I remember you saying you never found flints, shame. There’s just something about them I find so special.

Thanks for the catch-up and pics. Nice to see how the other half live  Roll Eyes
Hi Val, Yes I'm very pleased with the brooch, always a nice supprise. I've had a couple more spindle whorls yesterday, this is an intersting little site not sure what's going on here yet? I've picked up loads of Roman pottery and yet 1 grotty coin which is unusuall may be its been night hawked years ago it certainly hasn't been detected legitimately.
One day I'll pick up a hand axe lol....
I'm waiting for my favourite pasture site to be cut, I've had some cracking finds from here, and have a gut feeling of Gold  Grin Grin Wink Take care
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »

hello  paul,you certainly have done it again,cracking finds once again,do you think its the nox that finds them,or is it that the stuff is there in the first place to find with the nox or Deus,we haven't been out for a while,i have had a terrible bad back,toms going in to have his new hip,so by the time he's ready all the crops will be in,and its a swinging we shall go,once again brilliant finds,take care paul,cheers Ron,

Hi Ron. Thanks for your comment. As much as I love the Nox the Deus would have found most of it I guess, I have used it on here and had a couple of cut halfs. Although as there's so much iron and it's a bit mineralised the Nox seems to be quieter on the ear....sorry to hear about your back hope it settles down soon, give my regards to Ron hope his op goes ok and gets back in the fields with you ASAP.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »

Great finds again Smiley

Having now picked up my Nox 800 (bought second hand a few months ago, but I had to get a friend to pick it up for me, and we only met up last Sunday) - I'm interested in what settings you might be using - you mention 40Khz - at the moment I've managed (I think) to put the Searcher settings in it, and have only used in the back garden, where I found a couple of buttons I think my children / cat / chickens must have moved from my 'let the wind and the rain clean my finds' table......Smiley

I'm sure I've asked you before - are you using the standard coil, or the bigger coil available? I'm hoping to try my Nox out on my old hoard site - if I find anything there with it, then it is truly a better machine than the others I've used there (ETRAC / SE PRO / Deus / T2 / Racer II / CTX, etc). I can't believe I was really that good at finding everything there Smiley

I might also upload a buckle I found the other day (the only decent find) complete with pin - maybe someone can help me tie it down to a century - I think it might be late 17th century (everything is bronze on it, no iron).
Hi Roland. Thanks for your comment. I use Gordon Heratiges settings...Killer and 4x4 Programes, I just use 2 Tones, it's a dig or not dig, I'm not interested in many differant tones and I fact I reckon it can put people off whose new to the Nox . I adjust Sens, KHz, Reactivity as I go. Multy freq, works well but as I said I changed to 40 kHz on this site as an experiment and worked well. Must be doing something rite lol.
As soon as my pasture is cut I'm dropping the KHz to 5 on the 4x4 programe to see how I get on, I normally use Multi  Freq in this field and get terrific depth. I'll keep you informed on finds.
Good luck Paul
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

Hi Paul. Just a thought. The spindle whorls in your pic are all plain. According to PAS guide, as early as Roman.
Train of thought, Roman = Iron Age = pre-Roman = settlement = spinners & weavers (one of yours is a loom weight) = no Roman Coins.
Just might be one or two more nice finds in there waiting for you  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Mungo

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »

Cool great finds again..........
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »

Cool great finds again..........
Cheers Mungo, all the best.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »

Hi Paul. Just a thought. The spindle whorls in your pic are all plain. According to PAS guide, as early as Roman.
Train of thought, Roman = Iron Age = pre-Roman = settlement = spinners & weavers (one of yours is a loom weight) = no Roman Coins.
Just might be one or two more nice finds in there waiting for you  Grin

Like the way your thinking Val, defiantly more to come in sure, mite squeze another search before crop chucks me off. Then wait till next turn of the plough.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal