Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery of Shropshire Iron Age coin hoard detectorists  (Read 3186 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »

22 May 2019

Mystery surrounds the identity of two men who found a hoard of gold and silver Iron Age coins in Shropshire.

The find was reported by a landowner in the Teme Valley, who said he was given 19 coins by two metal dectorists he had allowed to search his land.

Fifteen have been declared treasure. Four were not because of uncertainty about their origins.

An inquest heard the men - known as Andrew and Charlie - have not been traced and may have kept more coins.

Peter Reavill said the Shrewsbury Museums are keen to acquire the coins for its collection
The hearing at Shrewsbury's Shirehall was told the pair, who were possibly from Kent, visited the land numerous times in 2017.

It was told they had left a mobile number, but have been unreachable, and police found the number was unregistered.

Peter Reavill, Shropshire's finds liaison officer, said it was possible they had split finds between themselves and the landowner, meaning there may be more unreported coins.

The four gold and 15 silver coins dated from 50 BC to AD 45. While the 15 coins declared treasure are from a tribe native to the West Midlands, one gold and three silver coins are from another tribe which resided in East Anglia, he said.

A report by the British Museum said they could have been "acquired elsewhere" and were not found to be treasure as it was "unlikely" they were from the same find.

"These two detectorists may not have had information about the law," Mr Reavill said.

"But if they did... they should have known they needed to report they had found an item of possible treasure."

He added the 15 coins alone represented the largest Iron Age discovery in Shropshire, making it a "rare and exciting" find.

West Mercia Police has been contacted for comment.

* _107061919_obverse.jpg (30.25 KB, 660x371 - viewed 670 times.)

* _107061917_hesh44097dgroupview.jpg (54.47 KB, 624x624 - viewed 580 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »

Sounds mighty suspicious to me but who knows ?

The fact that the coins are from two different tribes so far apart is odd to say the least but not impossible, I s’pose.

Hope the farmers gets a good pay out. I imagine he’ll get to keep it all as they can’t trace Andrew & Charlie.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting Neil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »

Hmmmm; I wonder?  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal