Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrap  (Read 4996 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: April 26, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »

They say that every cloud has a silver lining and I suppose that it may be true.
Our central  heating boiler crashed out midwinter and the Mrs went down with pneumonia and urosepsis. We eventually got the wife home from hospital and the central heating boiler was back up and running just in time for the Easter heat wave.

British Gas wanted five grand to replace our old heating system with a new combi-boiler but we got a local guy to do it for three and I was able to keep all the lead, copper, and brass that came out. A quick trip to my regular scrap dealer had me weighing in all my detecting scrap along with the central heating metals and found my self netting £175.50p Smiley

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »

When our boiler broke, British Gas wanted to put in a combi - and charge us somewhere around 3.5k......we asked a local firm who wanted to charge us over 2k for it - and wouldn't let us buy our own boiler.

In the end we bought a Worcester Boiler (non-combi as I don't want one) for £750 delivered, and a had a local chap install it for £350. Works great, and saves us money. He kept the old boiler, but I didn't really mind.

I do scrap in my cans and lead and unidentified bronze each year - but sadly scrap prices are down at the moment - managed £74 two years ago, but only £38 last year. What always amazes me is just the quantity of lead we do find - last year I had over 20lbs of the stuff.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »

Lucky you! I had hoped that replacing our free standing boiler was going to be a  case of one out one in but being an old system, and with the regulation changes that had taken place since the old one was installed, we were caught between a rock and a hard place.

The Mrs had always wanted a combi boiler, so at least she is now happy and there may be less chance of her comming down with pneumonia again; twice in five months was almost more than either of us could handle. When they told us that she also had urosepsis, I said that it was a punishment for voting for brexit. Smiley

Having fallen behind with my detecting, I'm going to have to renew my insurance memberships and force my self to get back out there for some swinging..........no, not that kind of swinging! Wink

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal