Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Safari beach settings?  (Read 10710 times)
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« on: April 22, 2019, 07:02:46 AM »

Hi guys,

Thinking of a little early-morning sortie to the beach tomorrow with a new-to-me Minelab Safari. Any tips for best settings please?

PS this is my first time with this machine - please be gentle with me . . . Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:05:59 AM by tan-y-ddraig » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:43 PM »

Wish you the best of luck, enjoy.

I had a Safari and spent many happy hours on my local beach. Unfortunately I really can’t remember what settings I used.
There is another member with a Safari. I’m sure if he sees your post he’ll be happy to advise.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:03:47 PM »

Thanks, Val. I've got my clock set for 04:45 and I should be there by first light . . . ;-) I read on one of the forums to use All Metal Ferrous and notch out -10 and +39 with sensitivity as high as it will bear.

We'll see Cheesy
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »

Well, I tried the Safari on the beach - I arrived there just after 6 on an ebbing tide and stayed until nearly 8 (which is when they start charging for parking . . .)

I set the machine as per the advice on the other forum and found the sum total of 1 penny and a 1942 .303 bullet casing. No idea what it was doing there - there were a couple of firing ranges a couple of miles in either direction but I  used to think I'd detected that area to death when I used to go there a few years ago.

The settings seemed OK - I was finding lots of junk - and I got the sensitivity up to 18 out of 20 with no falsing. Overall I'm pleased that the machine seems to work as it should but it's very different from my last machine and it feels like it's going to take a bit of getting used to.

Might go back tomorrow . . .
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:10 PM »

I’ll send Chris a message on your behalf. I’m sure he’ll help you if he’s around.

tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »

Thank you, Val!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »

P.M. sent tan

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:04 AM »

Mornin Tan,
                    been holding a tiger by the tail for the last twelve months n the old brain box is a wee bit awry for remembering my regular beach settings for the Safari but I would say that you do need to keep your swing speed  really slow, or you will find that by time the machine has picked up a target and  decided what the target is you will have moved past it and may think that it is ghosting.

Out of interest,  which beaches are you detecting?

Chris Smiley
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:00:15 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the advice - I've been used to a much different machine. I've got Andy Sabisch's book so I've been trying to keep the sweep speed down - bear in mind I've spent a whole 90 minutes with the Safari so far! I did get that ghosting effect you mentioned and now you've explained the cause!

I was at Rhyl, not too far from the sea wall between the Pavilion Theatre and the lifeboat station. Didn't help that I picked up a follower who wanted to chat  Smiley

Colin
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »

Jeez, those followers can be a real pain in the bum but I do try to give them some time and chat but when there is a cold wind I tend stiffen up following a couple of hours tecting and then standing in a chill wind. My hope is that one of those followers could possibly impart some local information, or may even be a farmer who could grant me permission to detect their land. Thought that I had cracked it one day but the lovely young lady that I gave my time to 'was' a farmer...……..but she farmed in New Zeeland! Sad

I have never had much luck at Rhyl front and normally beach detect at Talacre, or west of the blue bridge at Rhyl; free parking dockside.

Andy's book is a superb reference book for us Safari owners and I always try to recommend it to new owners but somehow forgot to suggest it to you.

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »

I'll be damned - mine was a Kiwi too. Staying at his daughter's place by Splash Point. I've detected the other side of the Foryd in the past but as that was where the targets for the firing range were I only found a bucketful of bullets. Didn't need a detector - they were poking out of the sand  Smiley

Looking forward to trying it on land sometime to see how it performs - be interesting to go over an old permission to see what my old machine missed . . .  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »

We must have covered the same section of beach at Foryd. Along with plenty of 0.303 projectiles I also got a few coins and  a number of large lead Victorian projectiles that looked like lead mushrooms; probably the same kind of stuff that snuffed out the Zulus at Rourk's Drift.

Chris Smiley

tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 03:20:08 PM »

I was on the beach directly behind Asda at Kinmel Bay when I found all the .303s - were yours Minie Balls? Never had one of those but no doubt they're about.

BTW - trying to get a handle on the sweep speed - how slow is slow? If it's that important I'm going to have to learn it  Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »

Just pretend you’re going to sleep as you walk. Getting slower and slower and the machine is getting too heavy to hold off the ground.
Sounds a bit far fetched but it does work. Plus the length of your step. Shorter is good, your not in a race after all. I heard someone call it the Safari Shuffle !
I have seen reference to seconds on each sweep but didn’t take much notice.

Just as bad when you change to a Deus. Everything about that one is fast fast fast.
Now I’m onto a NOX and I’m having to remind myself it’s slow slow slow. Agonising ain’t it !

tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »

That slow?

In the past I've always tended to stride off across the fields like I was on a route march (and I've got long legs . . . ) so I've probably been missing a good few targets that way. It's like I see a big field and seem to think, 'there's a job to be done so let's get it over . . . ' To be fair though I'm pretty keen on keeping the coil low to the surface and keeping my sweep level (horizontal) otherwise I'd be losing depth all over.

Must learn the dance  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal