Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got a detector and I'm itching to use it!  (Read 6405 times)
Ian P
Rally attendee

« on: March 27, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »

Hi, my name is Ian and I live in Rumney -  which is at the eastern end of Cardiff.

I've just bought an shiny new detector and I'm desperate to use it. I'd really like to join a club because I'm at the all the gear, no idea stage.    :-)  I've heard about Cardiff Scan Club but I can't find a recent reference to them and their domain name is a clothes retailer(!). Does anyone know if they still exist and, if not, are there any cool clubs near Cardiff?

Thanks.

All the gear and no idea.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:42:23 PM »

Hi Ian, welcome to Detecting Wales.

Yes, Cardiff Scan Club does still exist and is active. The website is now here:

http://cardiffscanclub.org/

Although I'm still a member, I've not been very active for several years. As you will see if you check the Cardiff Scan Club section of Detecting Wales, I used to post all the finds updates and look after their website etc.

I had handed over the management of the website to another member, and as you say, the old address seems to have been hijacked so all my old links are now dead sorry.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:50:04 PM by The Doc » Logged
Ian P
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

Thanks Doc - That makes sense.

I'll try to pop along to the next meeting.

Having spoken with Cardiff Council they said I needed Cardiff Scan Club membership to detect on their land.
So that's another reason to attend.

Thanks again,

Ian.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:56:40 PM »

Hi Ian

The meetings are the second Wednesday of the month, in the pub by Victoria Park, opposite Pidgeons funeral home.

They start at eight.

You can at least turn up as a guest - and they might have some spaces available for membership - I can't remember the 'max' numbers, but it wasn't at that at the last meeting.

You get Park passes from there too (these are annual), but you have to be a member of the club to then get the Parks pass.

They also hold rallies at irregular times, and have club land you can go to when it isn't in crop too.
Ian P
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »

Thanks for the info Probono.

I'll keep my fingers crossed there's a spot open.

spaceonwhite

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »

Hi Ian,

I'm also based in Cardiff but sometimes go to digs across the bridge with the Southwest Detectorist Metal Detecting group (you'll find them on Facebook). Most digs are usually about an hours drive away and cost £20 a pop to attend.

Cheers

Jeff
Ian P
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:02:05 PM »

Hi Spaceonwhite - nice to hear from you.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner- life sometimes gets in the way! I'm very new to all this and at the moment I'm fixated on Welsh history.

Along with my nephew we've just got permissions on a farm near Usk and we spent Easter Saturday in the sweltering sun finding iron nails! My best find on the day was a 1978 2p coin but I'll keep at it because a Saxon axe head was found nearby!

Thanks for the tip,

Cheers,

Ian.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »

There's good land near Usk - even the land that lots of other people have walked over. Hope you have good luck.

I didn't find much myself for a few years - mainly because I was detecting in very long grass and not very often, and didn't really know what I was doing.

But, in a field I used to call 'the field with nothing in it' I found a hoard....it's now back to an empty field again (I gridded it a lot) - but it just goes to show.

Hi Spaceonwhite - nice to hear from you.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner- life sometimes gets in the way! I'm very new to all this and at the moment I'm fixated on Welsh history.

Along with my nephew we've just got permissions on a farm near Usk and we spent Easter Saturday in the sweltering sun finding iron nails! My best find on the day was a 1978 2p coin but I'll keep at it because a Saxon axe head was found nearby!

Thanks for the tip,

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian P
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »

Saturday was my very first time out - I loved it but found it incredibly frustrating with lots of phantom hits. The farmer is a true gent and very interested in everything we find. He tells us it's the first time it's been searched so that 128 acres will keep us busy for some time!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal