Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Come Wednesday  (Read 6036 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: March 17, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

Following a whole catalogue of tribulations last year the wife came down with acute pneumonia on Boxing Day and had to be hospitalised asap. Eventually got her released from the local hospital and struggled to get her back to something like normal and we were doing great until last week when our central heating boiler went toes up and was eventually condemned and capped off.   Angry

Just haven't been able to get up a full head of steam to get out and do some coil swinging over sand, or sod.  Cry

Hopefully, I should be able to get my self down to Talacre on Wednesday and take a look at a very small permission that I obtained down there last year but haven't yet detected. Depending how the permission goes I will 'perhaps' also have a look at the beach, close to the dunes. An 8.9 metre tide is scheduled for 10:15 am and the weather man says it will be cool, dry, and overcast; so not a bad day all round.  Smiley

I'm planning to switch from my normal routine and make for a later start to my day, take the lighter Quest Q40 machine, and leave all but essentials in the car. The quest should do for the grassy permission and the base of the dunes and even produce some scrap on the wet sand, providing that I juggle the settings.  Wink

Just need a bit of enthusiasm now!  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:34:18 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:33:17 AM »

Well, I wish you luck - and I'm glad your wife is on the mend.

I hope too that the weather will dry up a bit too - I was out today (not that I found anything) and it was just a little bit on the damp side.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 12:24:05 AM »

Well,
                        thanks for the good wishes but I didn't make it down to Talacre today. Got snowed under with some jobs at home yesterday and had a surprise visitor whilst my Mrs was out on a girly afternoon. Having not gotten properly prepared for a days detecting and the Mrs deciding that we needed to strip the beds and do a wash today, it lefty me totally snookered but I have managed to get all my detecting stuff sorted and charged up my batteries ready for a day on the beach Thursday; which happens to be now! 00:20!

Just got home after dining with friends at one of our local Asian restaurants.
Jeez, will I ever make it down to Talacre?  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »

Best of luck for later this morning Chris.

I’ve done the same, all charged up, locked and loaded but here I am ! Baby sitting the dog ! Roll Eyes
He’s just been put on drugs for his heart and some to clear the fluid collected, wherever. Guess what that means ?
Wonder if I’ll make it ?

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »

Mornin Val,
                    I have just given up trying to get some sleep; must be the caffeine, red wine, and whisky sparking my brain into wake mode! Sorry to hear about the wee dog, I guess that I know how he feels.

I have abandoned any thoughts of my normal early start and will drive down to Talacre somewhat later than normal. Big tide due about lunch time so I'm planning on calling in to confirm a very small permission that I gained last year but I will also call in on a farmer that I was advised to contact some considerable time ago. Failing any progress on the permissions front I will toddle down to the beach and stick close to the dunes after lunch.

The weapon of choice for the day is the Q40. It's been that long since I swung the Quest, I have almost forgotten how to play the setting. Never mind, I can still remember my name! Smiley

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »

Morning, is it ? I’ve lost track of what, where or when. Anyone who’s got a dog and the Vet says ‘water tablets’ run for the hills  Shocked
I reckon I had about 4 1/2 hours half sleep in between visits outside and waiting for ‘baby’ to go back to sleep.
I don’t hold out much hope for my energy levels this afternoon.  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:17:58 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »

Hi Val,
             I hope that you and your 'wee' doggy friend are both doing well. I did eventually make it down to Talacre but bit off a bit more than was good for me. I only put in four hours swinging the Q40 over the sand and that was probably two hours too many. Although the Q40 was considerably lighter than the Safar, with it's large coils. I should have put it on a bungee and reduced the hours that I swung it. This getting older is a pain!

Despite all the hard work, I didn't recover much in the way of coins; an Edward halfpenny, one grotty thru penny bit, three one pence decimals, and a five pence piece. Judging by the colour of all the coins, they had been in the sands for a long time.

Although I still have some misgivings about the Quest Q40, it started yo sound as though it may be coming into it's own at Talacre and working on the audio alone it sounded as though it is going to be able to pick out the coins that are mixed in amongst all the WWII scrap. 
                                      Chris Smiley

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »

Well done Chris. Always an eye opener going out for the first time after a long break.
I was called on to find a gents ring, lost in the dunes, a couple of years ago. Oh my, it’s b====y hard work, isn’t it. Lesson learned, stick to the flat stuff. Roll Eyes
I managed an hour in my field. More of a guilt trip than anything else. I found, yet another, very grotty 3d. That’s 8 so far. A stonking great makers plate, a good 12in down. Off a Tractor I think, and 2 old brass tarpaulin eyelettes. Plus a few bits of crud. Enough to keep my hand in, I s’pose but it didn’t do my shoulder any favours.
I’m looking forward to the longer, milder days.
Better luck next time eh Chris  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal