Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Musket Balls  (Read 8721 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: February 24, 2019, 09:06:07 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry if there has been a post on here before but wanted to ask if there is anywhere on the web which can help with the ID of Musket Balls. I have so many now of different sizes etc that I would like to know what age they are and possibly what guns that could have used them?

Many thanks,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »

Can’t help with that one Jon.  Chef Geoff was the one for musket balls and fire arms. He only had to look at one and he seemed to know exactly what, where, why. I wouldn’t be surprised if, in secret he knew who as well  Angry
I think we all still miss his knowledge and input.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »

I always went by the bigger they were the earlier they were Smiley - although I appreciate the different bore sizes.

To some extent how round they were and what the seams look like can be a diagnostic too.

I've just had a quick look online and think this might help:-

http://www.heritagescience.ac.uk/Research_Projects/projects/Projectposters/Conservation_of_Battlefield_Archaeology_project_report_-_Appendix_3

Greg

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »

Thanks a Probono, very informative.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »

Thanks for the link Probono! I also found this on PAS: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/266828

In the link it states the following which may help others:

"From the mid-18th century, however, British forces used just 3 main uniform sizes: Musket, c.31g ball; carbine, c.23g ball and pistol, c.13g ball."

"A study on shot recovered from a Civil War era small arms firing range at Easton Maudit in Northamptonshire by D F Harding (see below for reference), however, has demonstrated that the weight variations for these shot types varied significantly in this earlier period: c.1-7g Buckshot; c.7-16g Pistol; c.16-23g Carbine; c.24-29g Arquebus and Caliver and c.30-48g Musket."

etc etc.

Regards,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal