Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval Find  (Read 5159 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: January 16, 2019, 07:59:25 PM »

Hi guys, well I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and got myself a Nox..... Shocked Some of you know I have been loyal to the mighty Deus and with good reason as it has netted me some cracking finds over the years. I still have the Deus but at the moment it is having a well earned rest as its been so busy. I was going to get the Nox when it first come out but I was not prepared to wait the ridiculously long times on the pre orders, especially as other countries could get them, rant over.  Grin
This machine is quite simply awesome I have used it 3 times and feel I have had it for years, to say its DEEP is an understatement its, I have concentrated on one of my medieval pastures and I can honestly say it has found targets my Deus definitely missed it seems every signal is DEEP I have had Medieval penny's at 8-10 inches.... one Halfgroat came out at a measured 10 inches, can't ask for more so for the foreseeable future the Nox is attached to my right arm.
So this Groat of Henry V1 Pinecone Mascle London mint, ( unless I've got it wrong) was 12 inches approx it has a dark patina as this pasture field is on a floodplain by a small river and at the depth it came up from the black soil is wet.

Now the bronze figure I thought at first was a pipe tamper of late medieval date, but soon realised it had a hole for attachment, it is 5cm long and 2cm wide, it has traces of being gilded at some time. My feeling is it dates to 12th-13th century and could well be a Limoge figure although I have not been able to find a parallel as yet, the ones I have seen are of a different style, I would be interested to see what your thoughts are.....There you go Val a bit of research for you I know you come up with IDs  Kiss So did I mention how good the Nox is  Cheesy Oh yeah I did sorry. Any way I hope you like the finds, back on the pasture tomorrow for a 6hr search.... Wink   

* 014.JPG (117.22 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 550 times.)

* 013.JPG (93.36 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 647 times.)

* 010.JPG (137.7 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 714 times.)

* 015.JPG (180.59 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 641 times.)

* 016.JPG (180.89 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 734 times.)
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »

Cracking finds celtic nox is a good bit of kit

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »

Nice finds - interesting figure too - looks quite ethnic, although I appreciate it isn't!

Interesting how silver finds near water usually come up that black - none of the stuff I find ever it, so it's usually pretty silvery Smiley

Glad you like the Nox - I did think of buying one, but,  like you couldn't be bothered to wait that long, so ended up with a secondhand CTX - mind you I'm quite tempted (despite being a confirmed Minelab user) by the ORX....
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

Cracking finds, like the figure and the detail on the hammered coin is quite amazing. Well done.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »

Well, what can I say ? Did I mention how good the NOX is ?  Grin
So you succumbed in the end Paul. It has the same effect on everyone who tries one (well nearly everyone) its so user friendly it’s unbelievable and you haven’t had it long enough to really tweek the settings. I assume you got the 800. There’s better to come.
Now, down to your finds  Grin That’s a first class Henry and I think the figure is off the bonnet of a car  Roll Eyes  Grin
Good timing actually. I’ve been really busy, busy, busy for weeks. Tired out in-between but I finally did the last little job today so now all finished. I haven’t been out detecting for so long I think I’ll have to re-visit the Manual. Maybe not, I set it all up, exactly how I wanted it last time out so it should be turn on and go next time.
I’ll enjoy a few browsing sessions.
Is certainly a bit different. If you see one you won’t forget it.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

First glance around confirms you could be on the right track. I did a search for Limoge bronze figurines and saw a couple of Christ with the same stylised facial features..also one of a Saint.
The round thing on the top of yours will be a ‘Halo’ so could be either Christ or a Saint. It was obviously intended to be mounted on a staff.
Did you find it in the medi field by the church ?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:54:46 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Mungo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »

lovely finds ........what set up do you use the nox in  Cool
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »

Nice finds - interesting figure too - looks quite ethnic, although I appreciate it isn't!

Interesting how silver finds near water usually come up that black - none of the stuff I find ever it, so it's usually pretty silvery Smiley

Glad you like the Nox - I did think of buying one, but,  like you couldn't be bothered to wait that long, so ended up with a secondhand CTX - mind you I'm quite tempted (despite being a confirmed Minelab user) by the ORX....
Thanks Roland, been trying to find a paralell but no luck yet. As I still have the Deus no nead to get the Orx, I was going to get the HF coil for Deus and the new 11" but to be honest for the sake of a few more quid I settled on the Nox, at least now I can get back to beaches if I get time lol.  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:28:31 PM »

Cracking finds, like the figure and the detail on the hammered coin is quite amazing. Well done.
Thanks wittsy, it obviously hadn't been in circulation too long when lossed.  Wink
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »

Well done Paul.  Exceptional finds once again.  Hell of an advertisement for the NOX.  You must be on commission!!!  After reading your post and knowing the quality and quantity of finds you uncover, I can imagine lots of forum readers robbing their piggy banks and dashing out to buy a NOX.!!  Brilliant finds.  Cheers.  Tom  (ps.  I'll buy your Deus.  Cheap of course) lol.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »

Hi Mungo, I use SIDS programe, and adjust recovery between 3-5, Senstivity on my site usually around 20. I have this now as Field 2.....In Field 1 I have put Dans programe from the Searcher.  There on u tube, you may already gave them in.  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 10:39:59 PM »

Well done Paul.  Exceptional finds once again.  Hell of an advertisement for the NOX.  You must be on commission!!!  After reading your post and knowing the quality and quantity of finds you uncover, I can imagine lots of forum readers robbing their piggy banks and dashing out to buy a NOX.!!  Brilliant finds.  Cheers.  Tom  (ps.  I'll buy your Deus.  Cheap of course) lol.
Hi Tom, Wish I was on commission lol...but honestly the Nox is a very user friendly machine and punches deep especially on pasture as I said. You know I also love the Deus, having both machines has all detecting searches covered, beach, pasture and plough.....Good luck to you guys... Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »

Well, what can I say ? Did I mention how good the NOX is ?  Grin
So you succumbed in the end Paul. It has the same effect on everyone who tries one (well nearly everyone) its so user friendly it’s unbelievable and you haven’t had it long enough to really tweek the settings. I assume you got the 800. There’s better to come.
Now, down to your finds  Grin That’s a first class Henry and I think the figure is off the bonnet of a car  Roll Eyes  Grin
Good timing actually. I’ve been really busy, busy, busy for weeks. Tired out in-between but I finally did the last little job today so now all finished. I haven’t been out detecting for so long I think I’ll have to re-visit the Manual. Maybe not, I set it all up, exactly how I wanted it last time out so it should be turn on and go next time.
I’ll enjoy a few browsing sessions.
Is certainly a bit different. If you see one you won’t forget it.

Yes Val, I waited long enough, I got the 800. I'm on a dig Sunday with Detectorists Investigation Group in Wiltshire, it's all Deus and Nox machines as you mite expect. Get out and post up finds Val  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »

First glance around confirms you could be on the right track. I did a search for Limoge bronze figurines and saw a couple of Christ with the same stylised facial features..also one of a Saint.
The round thing on the top of yours will be a ‘Halo’ so could be either Christ or a Saint. It was obviously intended to be mounted on a staff.
Did you find it in the medi field by the church ?
Thanks for your comment, yes I'm sure it's a halo I would guess a Saint ? And I think you are on the money as to it being mounted on a staff. Interestingly I found this only 20 metres from where I found the Limoge cross mount of St Mathew, it was enamelled as you may remember I posted it up last year or so. Definantly religious going ones in this field, now I wonder if there's a nice priestly gold ring or Gold Astel...lol.
Mungo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »

Hi Mungo, I use SIDS programe, and adjust recovery between 3-5, Senstivity on my site usually around 20. I have this now as Field 2.....In Field 1 I have put Dans programe from the Searcher.  There on u tube, you may already gave them in.  Wink

thanks paul.............. Cool i'm in field 2 with a few tweaks

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal