Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronze fragment  (Read 2077 times)
wittsy1

Where am I?

« on: December 22, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »

A Roman Bronze Pot fragment I recovered last Sunday. I have found quite a few of these in this particular field, this one probably the biggest about 5" x 3"and showing signs of being silverised. Something going on in this field I wonder? Although I have not found any pottery fragments or other Roman artifacts like brooches or coins in this field, there are some large stones in the middle of the field which have been dragged up by the plough over the years which are completely out of character with the red sandstone in this area. Any thoughts ladies and gents.
Oh and I also got a 1957 shilling  Smiley

* IMG_0972.JPG (210.97 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 398 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »

Yes, that is a very interesting find Steve. Plus the general description. It has been recorded that the Romans paid tribute to the local gods and religious sites. Presumably to ‘cover thier butts’ against bad luck.
I believe many Roman tributes of coins etc have been found near ancient sites around Britain.
The stones could, maybe have marked such a site. Not knowing exact find spot I couldn’t elaborate any further but surface it to say there were at least 2 Roman roads from somewhere on the west coast going east.
Keep us up-dated on further developments.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:42:58 AM »

Thank you for your comments Val. There is Roman activity on this farmland, I have found coins and brooch fragments in neighbouring fields. I think I will keep plugging away at this one though, probably Thursday or Friday, Pembrokeshire weather permitting.

Merry Christmas to one and all.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

A Roman Bronze Pot fragment I recovered last Sunday. I have found quite a few of these in this particular field, this one probably the biggest about 5" x 3"and showing signs of being silverised. Something going on in this field I wonder? Although I have not found any pottery fragments or other Roman artifacts like brooches or coins in this field, there are some large stones in the middle of the field which have been dragged up by the plough over the years which are completely out of character with the red sandstone in this area. Any thoughts ladies and gents.
Oh and I also got a 1957 shilling  Smiley
Hi Wittsy, well me old mate it looks to me like your are on to at least 1 Roman Patera ? a type of skillet used by Romans/ associated with military some times. Could be a casual loss or a Votive offering as was a hoard I found some years ago. Can you put up more of the fragments. If it is Patera you should find  handle which would be exciting. That's the way I'm leaning from the small fragment and your description, 
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »

Thank you for your comments Val. There is Roman activity on this farmland, I have found coins and brooch fragments in neighbouring fields. I think I will keep plugging away at this one though, probably Thursday or Friday, Pembrokeshire weather permitting.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

As Paul has said, could be a good idea to post up any bits for further verification, if anyone’s watching !
I hope he’s right and you find something else to go with it. Maybe some more coins  Wink Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal