Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost manhole cover in Wrexham  (Read 8885 times)
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« on: November 25, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

Hi all,

Young lady asking for help on Facebook - apparently her father's manhole cover has gone missing and needs locating. It's quite a way from me or I'd do it so wonder if anyone here can help?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

A  MANHOLE COVER ,  Huh 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »

Jesus; that would take some loosing!  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
diggerdave1

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »

Not April the 1st is it  Huh Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »

Must comment, in fairness, I’ve heard on the news that many manhole covers have been stolen for the scrap metal value and is costing the councils involved thousands of pounds to replace them.
There is lost and lost, when you think about it

N8

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »

Being in the drainage trade for 20 odd years I'm guessing that the cover has become buried in a garden and the homeowner has a blockage or something so needs to find it.. common problem infact. Unfortunately it is too far away for me. They could get a metal bar and try spiking the ground, if they hit the cover they will hear it.
Stolen manhole covers is a big problem with people weighing them in for scrap, hugely dangerous and irresponsible
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:54:03 AM by N8 » Logged

To dig or not to dig? That is the question
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »

I once attended a Christian Travelers (Gypsy) tent meeting and one of the Travelers that spoke that evening told of his long held desire to find and kill the person who stole the manhole cover from the drain that his child fell down and was killed.

I think that N8 has hit the nail on the head and the cover has probably been covered over.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »

Ta for the replies - the owner seems to have forgotten where the manhole is rather than actually losing it   Grin I've been asked to locate them in the past by farmers who knew that the manhole was somewhere in maybe a quarter of a field - I don't have the luxury of having so much land that I could forget where a manhole was . . .  Wink

I did offer to have a go if they could get me there - 'er indoors hogs the car for unimportant stuff like work so I don't get to use it for vital things like hobbies - but it was too far. Shame, because you never know what else comes out of this sort of thing - a new permission, perhaps . . . Huh
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »

Just a misunderstanding then. What you should have said was ‘buried manhole’ lost in field.

It’s amazing the things that do get lost in fields. Big things ! A few years ago the farmer next door was having his fields ‘topped’ and the contractor went over his Harrow attachment hidden in the grass. Made a right mess of his cutters. All the farmer said was ‘oh that’s where I left it, haven’t seen it for a couple of years and forgot about it’. What a plonker.
I went to a farm to locate an old water pipe. Long winded job but managed it in the end. He said no one had seen it since his Father laid it before he was born !

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »

Shame, because you never know what else comes out of this sort of thing - a new permission, perhaps . . . Huh

Too true, too true; I have always given folk the time of day whilst beach detecting, in the hope that it may (perhaps) bring a new permission. I spent quite a lot of time one day introducing an attritive young lady to the magic of metal detecting and it turned out that she was a farmer. Bloody problem was that she farmed in New Zealand! Sad

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Grin  Roll Eyes

Smoo
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »

Just seen this post, is it still missing? I'm only in Holywell and could be available if required still. Just let me know where and when.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it's found eyes only lol....if you do search with detector don't set discrimination too high or you won't pick it up...  Grin
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »

I've just messaged the Facebook member - I'll let you know what she says!
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »

Just got a reply from the person who made the request - the manhole has been found. Thanks for offering, Smoo . . .  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal