Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Best To Sell Our Coins  (Read 3202 times)
roughneck

T2 SE

« on: August 22, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »

Here's a question for the detectorists out there who sell their finds.
Me and Ron have decided that we are finders and not dedicated collectors, so in a bid to recoup some of our expenses we would like to sell all our silver hammered, silver units, denarius, silver saxon and anything else of value which is stuck in our cupboards doing nothing.  So, where's the best outlet for our wares???  Don't particularly want to sell on well known internet sites.  PM us if any personal interest, lots to choose from.  Cheers.  Tom and Ron
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »

that's an interesting question and one that has crossed my mind.

I imagine Probono would have a fair idea as a coin collector.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Phil Aberaman
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »

When i sold up a few years ago all my finds brooches coins etc, particularly ones with write-ups, from the PAO sold on ebay, I set a price i was happy with, and some sold for more some right on the money.
Problem with dealers is, you,ll get a quick hassle free sale but they have to make a profit so youll have to take a cut in what they are worth to Joe public.

What saddend me was, looking into people buying history they was buying uncleaned worthless tat, i assume they was passing them off as genuine finds at rallies or to impress detecting buddys or fellow club members, but i guess thats aways happend with detecting, there,s always someone that FINDS the goodies every outing. im not that guy if anyone knows me  lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:13:36 AM by Phil Penderyn » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »

So, that's a difficult question - how quickly do you want to sell, do you want the 'best' price, etc, etc.

I've sold a lot of coins over the years (and bought a lot too).

Almost every option has a cost involved - auction houses usually take 15-20% - dealers have costs - will buy quickly, but at a low price - if you get the right collector for pieces you will get a better price - but most collectors are also keenly aware of the financials of their interest, as are their other halves....

I'll PM you I'm interested in some of it myself, and I'm happy to suggest suitable values for what you have - if it's any help my valuation of my hoard is what I eventually got from the TVC, so it must be pretty fair.

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »

Here's a question for the detectorists out there who sell their finds.
Me and Ron have decided that we are finders and not dedicated collectors, so in a bid to recoup some of our expenses we would like to sell all our silver hammered, silver units, denarius, silver saxon and anything else of value which is stuck in our cupboards doing nothing.  So, where's the best outlet for our wares???  Don't particularly want to sell on well known internet sites.  PM us if any personal interest, lots to choose from.  Cheers.  Tom and Ron
Hi Tom & Ron. From a personal point of view I would say do not be put of by internet sites ( I refer to ebay here as  I have sold coins and lots on here without any problems, just make sure you list coins accurately for the ID if you can ? and then make sure any bidders are aware they should also ID from the photos you put up. Also in order not having to post abroad and having to look up postage costs to different countries just say UK Postage only that way you can post to a UK distribution centre which ebay will sort with the buyer, this then allows oversea bidders as this is were some coins go to especially Saxon or Celtic. Remember guys through ebay you are reaching the collectors and a larger audience. As I said I have sold lots this way and quality coins always sell. As Roland said auction houses can take higher cuts.

Dealers are quicker and will deal in cash obviously, I know  a good one if you want to PM me I have used over the years , he's discrete and fair (remember all dealers have markups it's just a matter of finding one that's not going to shaft you)

Maybe take a look on here guys...(Auction Your Detecting Finds Club) one of my metal detecting club members is an Administrator.  They sell various finds on here although I have not, just browse.

Not sure if it was ok to advertise this last site guys, feel free to remove if not and apologies.

Hope this is of some help you guys and whichever way you sell have a HAPPY RETIREMENT, on whichever Island you end up on  Shocked Shocked Spikey Wink Wink   

roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »

Cheers guys.  All good info.  Lots of coins and stuff to sell.  Problem we have is with Id's, so we don't really know what-is-what and how to value them.
''Treasure Island'' for us Paul,lol.  We must have a few quids worth though!!  So you may see a few on ebay in the not too distant future.
Happy Digging!!!  Tom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal