Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First find in a garden  (Read 2556 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« on: August 26, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

Hi All

I had to go and do some detecting on Wednesday after work - so went to a field where I normally get some buttons and coppers - although I got two hammered there last year - but it hadn't been cut.

For pretty much the first time ever, one of the people living next to the field wondered if I'd like to detect their garden - all 6 1/2 acres of it - so I jumped at the chance.

First signal was this James I shilling - sadly there weren't any other coins, although I did find an EPNS spoon and a headless horseman in lead. But it shows promise - still chuffed as it's only my 4th hammered shilling in 10 years, and there has to be potential for some more hammereds there Smiley.

* ScreenHunter_431 Aug. 22 22.50.jpg (151.46 KB, 781x739 - viewed 348 times.)

* ScreenHunter_430 Aug. 22 22.50.jpg (197.13 KB, 878x777 - viewed 359 times.)
jaydogg

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

I'd be most pleased with that. Very nice.
alun

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:05 PM »

Well saved.. still after my first shilling.. Nice and flat too.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »

Well saved.. still after my first shilling.. Nice and flat too.

Yes - I was surprised just how flat it was given how almost all the hammereds I have found have been 'rippled' / bent.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »

Well found, lovely coin and well deserved. That was a stroke of luck. Wish I had a neighbour like that.
Actually, I have. He’s got 180 acres and each time I’ve broached the Detecting subject he puts me off. Miserable b7**3r. All grazing and sheep, nowt else.
Probably wouldn’t find anything anyway!

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »

Nice find sport. How deep was it?

As for the ripples and bends, I often wonder if the good folk rippled or bent them to make them easier to find in the purse; or less easy to lose.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »

Nice find sport. How deep was it?

As for the ripples and bends, I often wonder if the good folk rippled or bent them to make them easier to find in the purse; or less easy to lose.

It was less than a spade's depth.

Weirdly I didn't find any other coins. There must be some - they've planted (a long time ago) a stand of pines along the line of the footpath (and their neighbours on the other side have done the same, but they seem to take a delight in shouting at me). I wonder how many are hidden by tree roots. Plenty more ground to cover though - just have to avoid the bee hives.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »

Shouting 'at' you?HuhHuh

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »

Shouting 'at' you?HuhHuh

Yes, shouting at me - 'have you got permission' / 'the farmer has worked really hard on that field yesterday' - I swear they called the police on me last week as after driving off to go home a cop van was driving slowly up the lane. And yes, I do have permission and I'd already spoken to the farmer - I even said to them before that I'm the same person they shouted at before......I know some people ring the farmer to say about 'someone detecting' - he tells me about it.

There's three of them, the parents and their boy (who I've found out went to the same school as me, just a long time afterwards) - I'm tempted to ask them for permission as they have a small paddock and their house has been there for at least 300 years, but I'm not that much of a masochist.

it's weird though, I seem to get quite a few people shouting at me detecting - I can only assume that despite my accent and education I look like a crim. - I think my eyes must be too close together or something. It's not as if I dress in cammo either!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »

Hmmm, strange to say the least! I hope that they all calm down asap.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal