Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Carausius  (Read 8988 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »

I think your obverse is a die match to the Salus one referenced.

The Pax reverse looks has similarities to the Salus one - but is definitely different Smiley - you can just imagine someone picking up the wrong die after having a heavy night Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 11:37:49 PM »

Are you having sleepless nights Paul ? I feel quite excited about all this  Grin
Please let us know EVERYTHING that happens. 👍. Or. 👎

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »

I think your obverse is a die match to the Salus one referenced.

The Pax reverse looks has similarities to the Salus one - but is definitely different Smiley - you can just imagine someone picking up the wrong die after having a heavy night Smiley
Thanks Roland, appreciate your thought as always.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »

Are you having sleepless nights Paul ? I feel quite excited about all this  Grin
Please let us know EVERYTHING that happens. 👍. Or. 👎
Should know more tomorrow Val, I will update you.  Wink
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »

If its worth allot of money, are you going to take us all out for a slap up meal Huh
 Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 06:19:45 AM »

If its worth allot of money, are you going to take us all out for a slap up meal Huh
 Grin
Slap up meal at Mrs Miggings pie shop Nobby  Cheesy
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

Hi Paul - did you get more information from Sam Moorhead?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »

Hi Peter. Sam is really excited and has recorded it on finds.org ( FASAM 6ACF3C)  he says...It confirms another incomplete PAX piece I have seen so yours is the only complete one known. The only other front facing busts 8 of them all have SALUS as a reverse...

I will put a post up l8tr explaining the finding of the coin as it's a bit different and rather lucky.

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »

Wow, great news - looks like it is unique as a complete coin  Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.   Roll Eyes   Kiss

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »

Well here's the latest on the coin. ....I have taken it to Salisbury Museum to the new Wiltshire FLO. He has taken a photo for  Sam Moorhead so he can update the data base and include the white background with a scale alongside it.

I have been in touch with a Dix Noonan Webb, who wants the coin for there auction should I wish to sell, they have said they would sell the coin for 0% commission that amazed me. They are happy to make their  commission from buyers premiums, it would be catalogued and shown to collectors at the upcoming Coinex event soon.
Whilst the reverse of PAX is unknown with this bust, it's the facing bust apparently that collectors want hence the crazy price the last lot sold for, but I guess clearly the PAX reverse would also be high on the collectors wish list...
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

Well here's the latest on the coin. ....I have taken it to Salisbury Museum to the new Wiltshire FLO. He has taken a photo for  Sam Moorhead so he can update the data base and include the white background with a scale alongside it.

I have been in touch with a Dix Noonan Webb, who wants the coin for there auction should I wish to sell, they have said they would sell the coin for 0% commission that amazed me. They are happy to make their  commission from buyers premiums, it would be catalogued and shown to collectors at the upcoming Coinex event soon.
Whilst the reverse of PAX is unknown with this bust, it's the facing bust apparently that collectors want hence the crazy price the last lot sold for, but I guess clearly the PAX reverse would also be high on the collectors wish list...

Pax by itself constitutes 95% of Carausian types - it's the facing bust that's the critical bit Smiley Mind you the price paid for those two was pretty crazy, although I'm sure yours might do as well.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 02:55:54 AM »

I bet you’re still feeling the ‘big buzz’ eh Paul. You know, that lovely warm glow.
I guess you’ll be feeling it for a while yet. There’s more to come, your moment in the spotlight, as they say.
We’ll all be watching with EXTREME interest for future developments. I’d best order a copy of Searcher  Grin Wink
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:50:09 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »

Just a quick update for those who are interested in this coin

It has been recorded by Sam Moorhead on the database as FASAM-6ACF3C...Roman coin expert Sam Moorhead at the British Museum said " It confirms another incomplete PAX I have seen,so yours is the only complete example known. The only other facing bust (8 of them)have a SALUS reverse.
I have sent the coin to DNW auction house in London where the two others sold early this year, they have put an estimate on the coin from the photos, but I will wait to see what they say after appraising the coin.

Since I sent the coin to London a coin dealer of note has said he has a collector should I Wish to  sell to him for...£10,000.

Peter Spencer of the Searcher has also asked if he could do an article on the coin on behalf of the Searcher, as in his words its an incredibly rare coin, obviously I have agreed and look forward to his write up.

Well guys that's it for now, the moral of the story (Always check your finds boxes) I'm glad I did....Spikey

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »

Let me be the first to congratulate you Paul (publicly )

I’m sure we’re all waiting, with baited breath for the next up-date.

In theory it should be worth more than the example Roland gave us a link to. I seem to remember the estimated value of the others was very low. Time will tell.

Thanks for the up-date 👍

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal