Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman treasure discovered on farm - Carmarthen.  (Read 1990 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »

BBC news online -19 May, 2006

Farm contractors have unearthed 2,000 Roman coins beneath a field at a farm near Carmarthen. The coins, which date from late Roman times, have been categorised as "treasure".

They contain a small amount of silver, but experts have not yet put a value on the find. The exact location of the discovery is being kept secret to protect the site from treasure hunters. The HM Coroner has been informed.
The coins are thought to have been lying just 12 inches beneath the surface of a field.

The Romans left Wales in 410AD, having first arrived in 47AD. Carmarthen was a Roman settlement from the first century AD.

Coins of the late Roman period feature the standard head and tails, with a Roman emperor on the head and a goddess - of fortune, hope or chastity - on the reverse.

The farmer, on whose land the find was made, said: "There are lots of wild rumours flying about but I don't really want to say anything.

"The coins are at the museum now, and we are waiting to hear what happens next," he added.

Edward Besley, of the National Museum of Wales, in Cardiff confirmed that the coins were at the museum and were being cleaned, examined and catalogued.

He said: "When our investigations are complete, I will submit a report to the coroner who will then decide when to hold an inquest."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »

My mates got a farm in Carmarthen......I wonder if it was his farm? mmmmmmmm Huh

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:40:11 AM »

There you go Neil, yet another really good find made by a non detecting person!

We had an article in our local paper last year about a couple of builders who unearthed 12 Gold Nobles near Oxford whilst building an extension and then there was the fella at Thornbury who 2 years ago found a few thousand roman coins in his garden whilst digging out a fishpond.

I hope they leave some stuff for us to find  Cheesy

BB

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal