Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval Ampulla  (Read 1494 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »

One of my fields was to wet to plant the crop last year, consequently it was left. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it had been sprayed off and now cultivated which has given me some early and unexpected searching. It is around 60 acres and has a medieval track around two sides, and also an early medieval scheduled site adjacent. Although there is no sign of habitation within the field it does produce some nice finds, this medieval pilgrim ampulla came up on a detecting session recently along the side the track. Many years ago I found one of these but stupidly sold it, so this one will stay with me as its been on my list for a long time.  Wink  For those of you unaware they held holy water and were associated with pilgrimage to holy sites and the like.

* 004.JPG (199 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 598 times.)

* 005.JPG (213.61 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 526 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »

Lucky, lucky you. That’s one thing I really want to find. Even luckier is it’s in reasonable condition and even got both handles. Can’t figure out what the pattern is s’posed to represent, any ideas?
I believe the holy water was used to bless the field so the crops would be strong and healthy, also used to bless the home.
There’s a holy well on the farm I’ve got permission on but it’s the other side of a fence and the only other way to it is along a very, very long and unused foot path. I had a look the last time I went and it didn’t look as if anyone had used it this year.
Very well done Paul. It’ll wash up nicely and be a stunner in your display cabinet.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »

Another nice find - certainly on my list of things to find too - I'm hoping that on my new permission when they've taken the crops in I might find some similar things - there's a medieval hollow way running across one of the fields which should hold some promise I hope!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal